Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Wearing a tie,
  • project
    Free Member

In every job ive ever had ive never worn a tie, now with the hot weather bus and lorry drivers and all office staff still seem to be wearing ties,

WHY,

seems more like a form of punishment especially if you havent got air con.

So whats the thing about ties, oh and i wear shorts in hot weather,and if people dont like it tough.

footflaps

Some employees don't have a choice…..

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Some people have to go to company BBQ's on their lunch breaks! Give me a tie anyday! 😆

GrahamS

I'm surprised they allow shorts behind the counter. Isn't there a risk you'll get splashed with oil from the fries?

😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

you cant be forced to wear a tie unless they make women wear one sex discrimaination by using a different standard of smart dress for men than women …may work with a skirt as well let me know

scaredypants

I'm not allowed to wear a tie at my work

(correct GrahamS, it's in case it gets caught in the mcflurry maker, pulling me to a caramelly doom)

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I haven't worn a tie for 39 years, and intend to survive the next 39 similarly 🙂
    (or die trying, obviously)

Onzadog
    Free Member

I wore my cycling kit most of the day. Boss told me she didn't think it was appropriate as we had "important visitors". I said "what? The old fat bloke who turned up in shorts and t-shirt?"

I was told just because they did, doesn't mean it was okay for me.

My parting remark was "at least I've got the legs for it."
    When will they learn?

Might try dress or skirt one day for laughs.

nickjb
    Free Member

My old boss said ties made you go deaf and he wouldn't let anybody wear one. Multi-million pound company, never seemed to do us any harm. His wife made him wear one when Prince Charles came to visit, though.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

i wear shorts in hot weather,and if people dont like it tough.

😕 I thought you were a teacher project ?

smell_it
    Free Member

I wear a tie everyday just because I like to, my job doesn't require it, and I wear them outside of work. I can't say they cause me any issues with over heating if you have a shirt that fits you properly. Nor would I rely on one to keep me warm in winter. I guess it takes all sorts….

jahwomble
    Free Member

I quite ofen wear one and nothing else.

iDave
    Free Member

i 'had to' wear a tie for a company photo thing. I had to go home to find my only tie in the shed, with the bike tyres.

MrOvershoot

simonfbarnes – Member

I haven't worn a tie for 39 years, and intend to survive the next 39 similarly
    (or die trying, obviously)
    That's my opinion too, my job includes rotating equipment and a tie is just bloody silly in those situations, that and my wife says I look very uncomfortable in a tie 😉

Gunz
    Free Member

Cor, you non-tie wearers sure are sticking it to the man. What's next bringing in your own cous cous for lunch?

spooky_b329

Don't have to wear ties, but I do have to wear dark navy trousers whilst doing a strenuous outdoor job. (cabling and rodding duct) We just wear shorts anyway and cross our fingers that we don't get noticed 🙂

uplink
    Free Member

Sometimes I need to wear a tie – most times I don't

Can't say I've ever felt any cooler in hot weather taking it off or any warmer after putting it on

BigDummy
    Free Member

I quite like wearing a tie. Don't mind a cravate, but I really don't get on with bow-ties at all. 🙂

kevonakona
    Free Member

Ties are bally smart and anyway how can one tell which schools the chaps went to without one?

trout
    Free Member

Have always hated ties Even got the cane at school for not wearing one ( bastids)

Weddings and funerals only now

PracticalMatt
    Free Member

😆
    Sartorial discussion between keyboard warriors on an MTB forum….

I might as well ask Dame Margot Fonteyne what her thoughts are on on the best method for remodeling a concrete drive.

organic355
    Free Member

I wear a tie to work.

"Image is everything when you know nothing" 🙂

samuri
    Free Member

A tie makes me feel really hot, don't know why. Perhaps I was hung in a previous life.

Obviously I'm hung now too, but the other one.

Thankfully I rarely seem to have to wear one, but keep one in a drawer just in case.

miketually
    Free Member

I really don't get on with bow-ties at all.

Bow ties are cool.

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

ties are like something from a bygone era, like frills around the cuffs of shirts or something from the 1800's that serve no functional purpose what so ever.

IME you see less and less office based people wearing ties and the ones that do just look stuck in the past.

I did work in one place that was basically a tin shed on an industrial estate. The AC went off one summer, it was roasting in the office and some pensioner director sent a message round to tell people to get their ties back on. FFS.

GrahamS

I'm a programmer.

My Megadeth t-shirt doesn't have a collar and a tie would clash with the stains under my arms.

FuzzyWuzzy

Yeah ties are a waste of time, little bit of coloured material around your neck, **** off back to Victorian times :p

KINGTUT
    Free Member

I quite like wearing a tie. Don't mind a cravate, but I really don't get on with bow-ties at all.

Just as well, bow ties are worn by ****.

rOcKeTdOg

I'm not allowed to wear a tie at work because of cross infection, on the very odd occasion I wear long trousers to work I get asked if I'm going for an interview 🙂

miketually
    Free Member

But if you don't wear a tie, people will see the buttons on your shirt!

Apart from hiding shirt buttons, I really can't see the point.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I'm fascinated by the claims that having something strapped round their neck doesn't make them hotter (?)

aracer
    Free Member

But if you don't wear a tie, people will see the buttons on your shirt!

Easily solved by wearing a shirt without buttons.

As to people saying they don't feel any cooler when they take their tie off – you do realise that you're allowed to undo your top button when you take your tie off (and it looks really scruffy to have the top button undone with a tie on)?

RealMan
    Free Member

Just fake it.

TooTall
    Free Member

Nice to see the free-thinking liberals raging against the tie on here. I bet you'd all e-mail the Guardian on your iPads and iPhones if they weren't so rubbish. Your non-uniform is a uniform in itself.

miketually
    Free Member

Your non-uniform is a uniform in itself.

Ace.

molgrips
    Free Member

I don't know why I have to iron my clothes all the frigging time. It doesn't make me look smart, it makes me look the same as everyone else. So if we all stopped ironing, we'd still all look the same and save a sh*tload of time and energy.

Grr 🙁

Your non-uniform is a uniform in itself

No.. my non-uniform is what I choose; my shirt and smart trousers are what's been imposed upon me. Big difference. Even if my choices are influenced by fashion etc, doesn't make any difference to my state of mind.

And why on earth do you think Guardian readers are all iPad types? That's Times readers.

aracer
    Free Member

You mean not wearing a tie is a "uniform"? By that definition, so is not wearing a dress, not wearing a suit of armour, or not wearing a gimp suit.

I'm trying to work out whether to be more offended by the idea that I read the Guardian or that I have an iPad.

iDave
    Free Member

i've never considered a shirt button offensive and in need of being hidden from view

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

so to be really off the wall I should randomly wear a tie to be neither conformist nor predictably nonconformist ?

firestarter
    Free Member

on hot days id rather wear a tie than my fire kit. not sure it would give me much protection in a fire mind 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Wearing a tie,’ is closed to new replies.