Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)
  • We should be proud of our NHS
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Yes it has loads of problems no one could deny that, as a nation we are very lucky to have this wonderful service.

Look at other countries round the world and you soon realise how lucky we are.

Good job team NHS

Just thought I’d share that !

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Today’s Topic Tombola has been rolled. 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

As a counterpoint, I think the NHS is outdated and needs replacing by private companies. As only profit driven organisations can deliver the level of service we deserve.

Also, I think the Nazis got a bad press. They can’t all have been bad.

bearnecessities

3/10 for punctuation & grammar.

2/10 for pseudo troll.

EDIT: Jamie, there’s a great gif of that somewhere on the interweb.

larrythelathe
    Free Member

I love the NHS they have looked after me.

br
    Free Member

I work in the NHS.

They are just like any other organisation; some of it is very good and efficient, other parts are crap and inefficient.

But like the rest of the public sector they have to do as Politicians demand…

Drac

Well said unfitgeezer it’s one Britain’s greatest benefits and something we should be proud of.

If you fancy supporting to protect it and tell the tories to piss off then you can support this.

http://999callforthenhs.weebly.com

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Nazis, kittens and the NHS? All we need is a little religious and political debate about wheel size and we’re there!

Jamie
    Free Member

This may sound petty, but could they not get a decent domain name?

For example:

…it really would help.

bearnecessities

Apologies, I was wrong. It was this:

(In my defence I’m off my face on Dulux.)

chewkw
    Free Member

😆 This is a super bureaucratic organisation that is meant to be milked by the people in the know.

Unless you are dying there is no way you can get a problem sorted quickly. For example, I called my GP when I was in pain, no appointment available so I saw a nurse, who then referred me to A&E only to be told nothing could be done, then sent back to GP (few days to get an appointment) then GP(because they cannot do minor procedure) sent me to consultant at a distant location, went there only to be told that they could do nothing unless I wanted to be butchered (surgery to cut me open).

GP -> see nurse -> see A&E -> see GP -> see Consultant -> back to square one nothing sorted.

Well done to me as I managed to go through the system without being sorted.

Keep NHS to yourself and by no means export this system to other countries.

Also try NOT to educate others in your system. Yes, they might learn the methods of saving life but they can do without the bureaucratic NHS system.

Yes, it’s free that’s the only a good thing about it.

project
    Free Member

As above , a few problems , overstafed in pebn and paper pushers, and senior clinical staff who have no patient contact, now being split up into numerous units trusts and foundations for easy sale to the private sector.

What is need is some sort of charging system for the idiots who attend gp surgeries or dont attend, same with the emergency departments, drunks to drop in centres, or police cells, along with all minor injuries,to mionor injuries /drop in surgeries and ambulances are not taxis to get you to the front of the queue or get a better responce from an insurance company if you have a slight bump in the car.

project
    Free Member

GP -> see nurse -> see A&E -> see GP -> see Consultant -> back to square one nothing sorted.

and i hope you made/make a formal complaint so others may not suffer and management will learn from their failings.

Drac

This may sound petty, but could they not get a decent domain name?

It’s run by a few volunteers maybe you could buy it for them.

So that one experience of yours Chewkw sums up the NHS. Does it bollocks.

Today:

I stopped a COPD patient from going into reparatory arrest whilst my colleague drove us at high speed to hospital whilst I administered medication, cannulated her whilst on the move, pre-alerted the hospital she was coming in so they would be ready with a Dr, supported her daughter who worried she was going to lose another parent so soon after another, wiped thick phlegm from the patient’s mouth as she didn’t have the strength and got her safely there before assisting the young Dr perform a few more treatments.

That was 2 minutes into another 13 hour shift and a pretty normal day.

chewkw
    Free Member

project – Member

and i hope you made/make a formal complaint so others may not suffer and management will learn from their failings.
    I have no more strength to deal with bureaucrats as I know it is pointless, now I just let nature takes it cause or I just have to manage it myself.

Mine is not life threatening but can cause plenty discomfort in daily routine.

My advice is to take out medical insurance and go private if you can but I guess this is a luxury not many can afford.

Stay healthy and look after yourself, because it will be too late when you need NHS.

Drac – Moderator

So that one experience of yours Chewkw sums up the NHS. Does it bollocks.

Well, that’s my experience and everyone can disagree as much as they like but the fact is that I just went through the experience.

All I can say is stay healthy but if you happen to need NHS then perhaps recall my experience to see if you can beat my record.

🙄

br
    Free Member

As above , a few problems , overstafed in pebn and paper pushers, and senior clinical staff who have no patient contact, now being split up into numerous units trusts and foundations for easy sale to the private sector.

Why should everyone in the NHS have patient contact? Many staff in many organisations never meet their ‘customers’, especially if in support-service roles.

project
    Free Member

br , youve never worked or been a patient of the nhs then.

Jamie
    Free Member

It’s run by a few volunteers maybe you could buy it for them.

They should be happy I waived my brand consultancy fee.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

chewkw – Member

Keep NHS to yourself and by no means export this system to other countries.

Not even to North Borneo ?

chewkw – Member

I remember as a kid due to blood lost I fainted on two occasions with my mother having to carry me on her back after visiting the doctor. This was in North Borneo where medical help was really not that advance at all.

Posted 1 week ago

Drac

All I can say is stay healthy but if you happen to need NHS then perhaps recall my experience to see if you can beat my record.

My Brother had a liver transplant over 18 months ago now he only had a matter of weeks left when he got it, he’s the healthiest he’s been for years. My Dad is still alive today because of the NHS helped him 4 years ago. I’m alive today thanks to the NHS removing a bone tumour. My youngest lived past a day old and is very healthy thanks to the NHS.

That’s my experience without adding any more from work.

nick1962
    Free Member

Look at other countries round the world and you soon realise how lucky we are.

Out of interest where were you looking that led you to that conclusion?

Drac

America maybe?

Estimated Liver Transplant Costs
    According to the United Network for Organ Sharing (UNOS)’ Transplant Living Web siteOpens new window, the estimated U.S. average in 2011 of billed charges per liver transplant is $577,100.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Was going to say USA !!

br
    Free Member

br , youve never worked or been a patient of the nhs then.

Eh?

I’ve used A&E many times, have 3 children all born in a UK hospital, have elderly parents, have overnighted myself and am responsible for the management of a health board PMS (amongst other systems).

I think I have an idea.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

India Lots of the Africa’s

coolhandluke
    Free Member

We should be proud of our NHS

Hear hear, I use to live in a house I shared with student nurses!

What a great time we I had

nick1962
    Free Member

America maybe?

India Lots of the Africa’s

No need to look that far just look over the channel to France who provide what is widely regarded as the world’s best healthcare.
    If you’re saying that the UK has a half decent, value for money ,pretty egalitarian healthcare system then you may be right. A bit like an On One bike really. 🙂

chewkw
    Free Member

ernie_lynch – Member

Not even to North Borneo ?

Yes. Not even there. They might be backward but at least things get sorted sometimes.
    My father was the first AAA (main blood vessel) patient there and survived. Most just died. Also majority of the patients there are illegal immigrants. I kid you not. I feel sorry for the natives though.

I remember as a kid due to blood lost I fainted on two occasions with my mother having to carry me on her back after visiting the doctor. This was in North Borneo where medical help was really not that advance at all.

Nope. Nothing to do with western medication or hospital. My problem was eventually cured by a very experience traditional Chinese doctor using traditional Chinese herbal medication. No, consultation fees needed and it’s free but most people just donate as they see fit. Then taking the prescription to traditional Chinese pharmacist for the medication. Usually very cheap. Took nearly 5 years to get my health back.
    If I were to die then I would just die at that time because I would have known nothing once unconscious. I had no worry as a kid nor did I know the meaning of wanting to live. In fact, thinking back I would rather prefer to die if I know my life sucks big time now.

Well, it just happen that my time was not up yet so have to endure this miserable life now. Perhaps, I did not die because my heart was still with my parents. I did not want them to be sad.

crankboy
    Free Member

Well the NHS gave me my son and saved my wife so I’ll stand up for them . I have yet to see anyone point to a more cost effective system.

chewkw
    Free Member

crankboy & Northwind,

Those are the very basic health care they must have or provide. Even in the developing world those are available so nothing out of the ordinary.

The problem with developing world is that lack qualified doctors/surgeons etc. But good qualified doctors etc are not lacking here in NHS.

The only problem with NHS is that the bureaucratic culture which is so embedded that to attempt to change it or to be seen as trying to “improve” it is like committing a career suicide so most just let it be.

If your lucky your problem is sorted in time but if you are not lucky then you will experience the full force of the bureaucratic system as simple as that.

🙄

Northwind

chewkw – Member

Those are the very basic health care they must have or provide. Even in the developing world those are available so nothing out of the ordinary.

America is a developing country? Righto.

chewkw
    Free Member

Northwind – Member

America is a developing country? Righto.

Never been to America so I am not comparing America but developing world which I have full experience with.

America as you know is about money, you have money you live if not then you try your best to survive otherwise you die a painful death. Bear in mind, their population is 4X that of UK so I am not surprised if their system starts to encounter problems.

Northwind

You’re a joke, you know that? It’s all fun and games when it’s maggots and dear leaders but you’re knocking a system that saves lives and changes lives, just for the sake of a bit of fun on the internet, and with every word you show your ignorance. Grow up, troll off.

tightywighty
    Free Member

If you need the most serious care, they seem to be excellent. I have nothing but praise for the care some relatives in intensive care and HDU have received. However it’s a bit hit or miss in other areas to say the least.

Example: A friend had a bad reaction to new epilepsy medicine, and thus ended up with a dangerously low immune system. He was in a special ward in his own room with a private bathroom so he wouldn’t get infected while recovering. Except this bathroom could be unlocked and accessed from outside, and the nurses kept letting people in to use his private bathroom and he kept finding unflushed turds, blood puke and piss over the floor etc afterwards and it was never properly cleaned afterwards either. Friends actually went in and cleaned if themselves because they were so worried.
    Now, if that’s how they clean around somebody specifically in hospital with an immune problem, what are the normal wards like? Who the hell is to blame for this? I know cash is tight but this is basic care. Whoever it is needs a swift kick in the sack.

chewkw
    Free Member

Northwind – Member

You’re a prick, you know that? It’s all fun and games when it’s maggots and dear leaders but you’re knocking a system that saves lives and changes lives, just for the sake of a bit of fun on the internet. Grow up, you joke.

Calm down. I have Not labeled you a zombie maggot yet so please accept different opinions while discussing a bureaucratic system here.

You cannot change the experience I just went through so you just have to accept that it is not perfect by all means. Different experience for different people.

Knocking the system? My lord! (as Hastings exclaimed to Poirot)

p/s: many of friends and colleagues are insulin dependent and yes they would cut me down if I “take” away their lives saving insulin. Who wouldn’t? All of them have their appointments book several months in advance and it becomes a routine for them. So yes, they would cut me down …

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

You cannot change the experience I just went through so you just have to accept that it is not perfect by all means.

What are you talking about ? You phoned the NHS out of hours because you had some issues with your arsehole and they told you to go straight to A&E where according to you a young female doctor examined your my back passage and diagnosed that you had piles and suggested that you got some anusol ointment on it. Now that sounds like excellent service to me.

How are your piles btw ?

chewkw
    Free Member

ernie_lynch – Member

What are you talking about ? You phoned the NHS out of hours because you had some issues with your arsehole and they told you to go straight to A&E where according to you a young female doctor examined your my back passage and diagnosed that you had piles and suggested that you got some anusol ointment on it. Now that sounds like excellent service to me.

How are your piles btw ?

Yes, “good” service indeed as I managed to see many different doctors. Most of them just probed me with either their fingers or an instrument. (something get me thinking about those adult stars that perform “probings”, they must have very strong tolerant to pain probing each other like that … 😯 )

What they could have done was to relieve the pressure by bleeding (small incision) it which some doctors do in other part of the world. But I was told this procedure was not performed here anymore because of their guideline that did not permit them to do so.

Pile is still there but less painful and just uncomfortable at times.

If you have them then you will know. Just watch out if your partner try to be chicky by playfully inserting her/his finger(s) up your bum, I am afraid it will not be a cry of joy but a cry of agony. You might then turn around and KO your partner with a right hook.

🙂

seosamh77
    Free Member

the NHS stopped my mum dying from kidney failure about 20 years ago, cut out her gall bladder about 5 years ago and stopped her her dying from kidney cancer last year.

All in all, couldn’t be happier with how they have gone about their business.

seosamh77
    Free Member

chewkw – Member
    Yes, “good” service indeed as I managed to see many different doctors. Most of them just probed me with either their fingers or an instrument. (something get me thinking about those adult stars that perform “probings”, they must have very strong tolerant to pain probing each other like that … )

What they could have done was to relieve the pressure by bleeding (small incision) it which some doctors do in other part of the world. But I was told this procedure was not performed here anymore because of their guideline that did not permit them to do so.

Pile is still there but less painful and just uncomfortable at times.

If you have them then you will know. Just watch out if your partner try to be chicky by playfully inserting her/his finger(s) up your bum, I am afraid it will not be a cry of joy but a cry of agony. You might then turn around and KO your partner with a right hook.
    you need to start eating bran flakes and getting more fiber in ye and stop bugging doctors.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

@ chewkw

No I’ve never had them – I take good care of my anal pore.

And yes bleeding hasn’t been a recognised form of treatment in the UK since they stopped using leeches I believe.

BTW you say that they probed you with either their fingers or an instrument but how do you know ? Presumably you had your back to them so you can’t be entirely sure what they probed you with. Did it make your eyes water ?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘We should be proud of our NHS’ is closed to new replies.