Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • We have one of those boiling water taps at work…
  • IHN

..and it’s great; boiling water at the touch of a button, makes brewing up a quick doddle. Indeed, if they weren’t so expensive I’d consider having one installed at home.

However, I’ve just watched a woman use the cold water function on it to the fill the kettle, which she then boiled, to make her brew. People, it would seem, are idiots.

{and yes, it does raise the question of why there is a kettle in the work kitchen as well as the techno-tap. I have no idea)

simondbarnes

Freshly boiled water makes nicer tea.

Junkyard
    Free Member

They claimed that at ours till we did blind taste tests

IHN

Not out of a scaled-up kettle it doesn’t

eddie11
    Free Member

they don’t quite boil to 100 degrees so your tea doesn’t brew quite right and they don’t have a big enough tank to provide more than 6 or 7 brews in a row. They are useless for anything more intensive than a cheshire show home. That woman is cleverer than you will ever know, if i could still use a kettle at work i would.

Murray

We’ve got a few of these at work – 6-9 months old. 2 of them are now broken and “awaiting engineer”.

I’ll stick to a kettle at home.

IHN

they don’t quite boil to 100 degrees so your tea doesn’t brew quite right

In the same way that directional speaker cables improve the sound of your hi-fi

and they don’t have a big enough tank to provide more than 6 or 7 brews in a row.

And how many brews can a single kettleful make?

nealglover
    Free Member

We have one at work and it’s fantastic.

Until the filter goes, and then it tastes like hot badger piss (probably)

Cougar

We have one, and had the usual suspects whining about how it tastes different from a kettle when it was first installed. It was being worked on the other day so we had to go back to a kettle, you’d have thought some folk had had their first-born eaten. People, can’t win.

It boils to whatever temperature you set it to (ours is 97′ I think). The trick is to run it for a few seconds first to clear what’s been standing in the pipe.

We’ve got a few of these at work – 6-9 months old. 2 of them are now broken and “awaiting engineer”.

They’re supposed to be serviced regularly. Are you doing that?

nealglover
    Free Member

You haven’t set it up right then. User error.

(If you have on that is)

Ours is set to full boil, and I challenge anyone to tell that it’s made with an instant boil tap in a blind taste test.

Complete guff 😆

Murray

They’re supposed to be serviced regularly. Are you doing that?

– no, I don’t work in building services but building services usually do stuff by the book

Cougar

“You” the company not “you” personally.

DezB
    Free Member

I recall in my last job, my boss saw me making tea directly out of the boiler thingy and made such a comment. So I demonstrated how the kettle boiled immediately when water out of the boiler thingy was added.

I then asked him to compare which was hottest as I poured from one on his left cheek and the other on his right.

People, it would seem, are idiots
    OP’s is merely one single example of such a fact.

plyphon
    Free Member

People at ours do the same.

I will suggest the blind taste test!

project
    Free Member

Worked in 2 places where the staff where not allowed a kettle, they had to use a central boiler /water ern.

hols2
    Free Member

they don’t quite boil to 100 degrees

I really hate to be pedantic, but boiling point depends on the atmospheric pressure. If the pressure is too low, it will always boil at less than 100 degrees. If the pressure is too high, it will never boil at 100 degrees. Adjusting a thermostat won’t change this.

DrJ

Whatever happened to ladies with tea trolleys?

Rockape63
    Free Member

Only the kwooker delivers water at 100degs I believe, although I imagine that by the time it hits the cup its already dropped a couple. can’t imagine a couple of degrees either way makes any difference to a cup of tea, seeing as its sat with a tea bag cooling for the ‘ideal’ 40 secs brewing time. 😕

chakaping
    Free Member

You can’t skive as long if you don’t have to wait for the kettle to boil though, eh?

Ro5ey
    Free Member

cheshire show home.

Or Sunny Brentwood

We’ve got one ….. 😳

I was skeptical when the Mrs wanted it, but it’s rather good… great for rinsing pasta/rice.

Cougar has it right … let it blast out the cooler water in the pipe first

richardkennerley

I use the one at my work to fill my aeropress. What kind of a monster does that make me!?

eddie11
    Free Member

I really hate to be pedantic,

no you don’t you loves you do 😆

fadda

As I recall, perfect tea is made with water at lower than 100 degrees, anyway…

DezB
    Free Member

There’s no such thing as pefect tea. Everyone has differing tastes 😛

duffle
    Free Member

What teabags for instaboilerthingies???? <flee runaway flee>

PMK2060

The majority of the people at work still use the kettle claiming it makes a better brew. I use the boiler tap when it is my tea round and nobody notices the difference.

nealglover
    Free Member

Only the kwooker delivers water at 100degs I believe

Our ZpTap does.

pictonroad

There’s one at an office I visit that does boiled, chilled and fizzy.

FIZZY. 😯

It’s the future and I want in.

chakaping
    Free Member

There’s one at an office I visit that does boiled, chilled and fizzy.

Whatever they sell, they’re clearly charging too much for it.

bigyinn
    Free Member

hols2 – Member

they don’t quite boil to 100 degrees

I really hate to be pedantic, but boiling point depends on the atmospheric pressure. If the pressure is too low, it will always boil at less than 100 degrees. If the pressure is too high, it will never boil at 100 degrees. Adjusting a thermostat won’t change this.
    Surely adjusting the thermostat to compensate for the different boiling temp will achieve just that?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Surely it can’t actually be boiling water or there would lots of steam being produced.

Reusing boiled water isn’t suppossed to be a good idea as the concentration of things like aluminum increases over time.

So maybe by not boiling the water these things avoid that.

Anyway I decided not to risk it at home.

Plus I couldn’t get one to match my dualit toaster, whereas I could get a matching Dualit kettle.

TiRed

Bought one of these for my Father in Law after he had a stroke, It is excellent, not quite as hot as a kettle but not bad. We have the Zip taps at work. Less impressed and high maintenance.

CountZero

They installed a Zip tap where I used to work, and it was great when it worked, but it did seem to break down fairly often, but then, the kettles broke with monotonous regularity, and they previously had one of those large hot water urn things, which nobody took responsibility for keeping filled up, so it used to dry out, the element would self-destruct, and it cost £250 each time to fix it!

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Our runs at 94 degrees way too hot for coffee. Have to let stand a bit before filling the Aeropress.

oldnpastit

I sometimes have to visit the US office where they have things like this. But being America they have no idea about how to make tea, so these useless machines just produce fairly warm water which results in rubbish tea. Also not helped by them buying very expensive but rubbish tea bags.

Moral, if going to the US, avoid tea and drink beer instead.

Although there are problems with that as well.

mtbcoach
    Free Member

I live in Colorado. The house is at 7200 feet (92 degree boiling point), and I work at 5000 feet (95 degree boiling point). The tea tastes the same either way. The only noticeable difference between here and home (Devon) is that the water tastes much different, and tea gets much colder much quicker here in Colorado.

whatgoesup

if going to the US, avoid tea and drink beer instead.

Fixed it for you

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

they don’t quite boil to 100 degrees so your tea doesn’t brew quite right and they don’t have a big enough tank to provide more than 6 or 7 brews in a row. They are useless for anything more intensive than a cheshire show home.

I think the staff on D wing at HMP W******* would disagree.

Sandwich

And how many brews can a single kettleful make?

I have a 5 litre kettle how many do you want? 20 minutes to tea mind.

slowoldman

Yes ours break down with monotonous regularity. Almost as much as the computers.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘We have one of those boiling water taps at work…’ is closed to new replies.