Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • We bought a Topper dinghy – teach me how to sail it?
  • B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Look, I thought I knew what I was doing, because we used to sail as kids. My dad was into it when I was 10 years old and I got a crewing certificate at Leeds Sailing Club in about 1977, but I've now realised I haven't got a clue about sailing a dinghy (contery to my claims and bravado that I know what I'm doing), I was obviously too young at the time. I made a bit of a fool of myself last week (and this is in a Topper!), I need some help please, pretty please?.

matt_outandabout

Where are you based?

iainc

have a look for your nearest RYA training centre – they are the best and usually well priced

Timmo
    Free Member

as above, the best thing you can do is get your self along to your local sailing club or RYA centre and get either a refresher course or some tuition!
    you cant effectively terach someone how to sail over the internet, you can give a rough idea but the Best method of learning is to do it in experienced hands!!
    also getting proper lessons/tuition etc. will give you more of an idea of safety when your out ont he water! local bylaws for the water your using, refresh your memory ont he safety rules for passing other boats etc. its the simple things like launching and landing that often fox most!
    if you did some sailing a fair while ago then you'll most likely pic it up fairly quickly again,
    the sailing itself hasnt moved on all that much with the tech But the kit that goes with it has!!
    i've not sailed for a few years now due to illness but used ot be out all the time, perfect stress relief!
    what area are you in btw??

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I live in Bingley West Yorkshire, we waterski (and now sail) on Semmerwater, which is Hawes/Kendal area, basically north west Yorks Dales. The lake is about 1/4 mile square and no other boats, so ideal to learn and open to the wind, so ideal really. Last Sunday, I could sort of tack? across the lake, but not make any progress up the lake into the wind. I was either stopped dead or flying along and then tipping over, having to pull the dinghy upright again with the dagger board (the thrilling bit I recall from my childhood, swimming round the boat and climbing onto the dagger board to right it).

montylikesbeer

2nd rya

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Yup, no substitute for being taught how to do the basics properly. Once you know what you are meant to be doing (and what not to do) you can go off and develop at your own pace.

A weekend course should do the trick for the basics

Nico
    Free Member

Otley Sailing Club looks a good prospect. RYA level 1 or 2 should get you going again. Or any one of a million other clubs if you want to go further afield. I was in exactly the same situation as you – went sailing with my uncle but didn't really know why I was doing what I was doing. Many years later I went on a course down in Devon (a holiday and course in one go) and that gave me a really sound basis. Most of what I know now (nearly twenty years on) is basically refinements of what I learnt on that first course.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Nico (everyone)
    Otley is nearby and on my route to work, I'll have a drive down there to see what's available, I know where the club is. I thought it would be simple to pick up (especially having done it in my childhood), but it very definitely isn't. I kind of got the idea that pulling the main sail in made me go faster whilst going across wind and letting it out 90 degrees to the boat got me back down to the start again, and turning up wind brought the boat round into the right position to tack back across the lake. I couldn't make much progress up the lake (up wind) tho, so just ended up going backwards and forwards across the lake. Also, I got all confused with the rudder/tiller? it having the extended arm which means you make the opposite motion to get the same direction. It was great fun tho, I had a massive smile despite being totally hopeless.

cbike
    Free Member

Join a club

Sounds like you had the sail too close hauled for your angle to the wind. So when you let it out or steered closer to the wind out you suddenly had more power and then would capsize. You can luff up or let the sail out to depower normally but if too close hauled you'll get wet.

Ignore the tiller extension until you are more confident in heavier wind.

When you do use it, place it behind you to keep it out the way.

You cannot go straight into the wind. Older boats with saggy sails make terrible progress upwind.

And put a leash on the rudder/tiller. They can fall off and sink. And check centreboard casing top and bottom for leaks. can be fixed with silicon.

unsponsored
    Free Member

Yeadon lake I remember it having a club.

MrAgreeable

Cbike is spot on in his analysis of what you might be doing wrong, but I'd recommend some lessons or at least going out with someone a bit more experienced – it's hard to describe how to do it in words.

One thing you might find helpful is getting some sort of wind direction indicator, like a Hawk.

You might also be sailing somewhere that has crap erratic wind – it may be fairly open, but it's set in hills, and in general bigger bodies of water have more consistent wind conditions. Looks lovely though!

nickb

Get this:
    The Topper Book

I read it about 25 years ago when I first learned to sail a Topper. Its great, will explain the basics and should allow you to get in the boat and pick things up pretty quickly. RYA course is a great option, but this would be a useful start.

Go out in light winds (F2 or so), and spend plenty of time learning – there is no substitute for 'time in the boat'. Don't be afraid of capsizing – in fact I'd encourage you to intentionally capsize early so you get used to it. Bringing a Topper upright again is a doddle.

Enjoy!

Nick

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Toppers are a great boat to learn in! As nickb says, they're really easy to right and are virtually indestructable. I learnt in one and it went really well as a way of getting in to bigger, faster and more expensive boats! 🙂

noteeth
    Free Member

Toppers are, indeed, top fun.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Thanks, I just went on ebay and bought The Topper Book

😉
    It looks like it should help me grasp the basics.

ahwiles
    Free Member

easy.

put the boat in the water, get in the boat.

sit sideways in the boat.

with the wind to your back, pull the rope to make it go. use the stick to make it steer.

let go of the rope to make it stop.

watch out for things making a move to hit you in the head.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I'm with ahwiles on this one, seems like sensible actions!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘We bought a Topper dinghy – teach me how to sail it?’ is closed to new replies.