Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 178 total)
  • WCA Shed Thread
  • granny_ring

How far apart are the pillars?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Well eight hours of hard work and about 4 hours of progress.

It took me 4 hours to get the first timber bolted to the garage. It is a bit hard to see but there are ten expanding wall bolts holding the timber to the wall.

What are the chances of drilling tem holes through the timber and then the matching ten bigger holes it the wall and all of the holes, bolts and expanding bits lining up perfectly?

Slim. Four long, sweaty and sweary hours it took!

Fortunately things speeded up a bit after that. Once we were happy that all the corners were square and everything was level I just had to fix the joists. Doubles at the tub end of the shed in case people get jiggy in the tub

Bang in the noggins and we are done fore the day. All that in ‘just’ eight hours.

Middle row of noggins look a b it pissed because I had left some screw heads sticking out when fixing the joists and was too tired to force them in. It is structurally fine and no-one will see it

I stuck some extra little legs under the tub area in case fat people t=start getting jiggy

Now I wait until Thursday when the under floor insulation arrives and then I can stick the 25mm ply flooring down. No photos but 6 sheets of 1200×2400 were also oiled today. Damned heavy to move into the garage.

Sparky due sometime to upgrade the old fuse box in the garage and fit me a 32 amp feed ready for the tub which will need craning over the top of the garage. Then I will start with the walls and roof.

Off for a beer and a bath now.

smartay

So how much of the garden will be left after the build, looks massive on the pics, jealous 😀
    no dpm and hard core under the base?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

DPM under all of the legs and between the pillars and the timber.

Shed is 3.6×4.8 so about 1/8 of the lower garden. It was pretty much dead space as it was in shade behind the garage. The lawn and flowerbeds all remain in tact and the patio and upper garden are untouched.

roundwheels
    Free Member

8)

WillH

…in case people get jiggy in the tub

… in case fat people t=start getting jiggy

You don’t sound very sure who these people are, yet seem to think there’s a very real chance of them ‘getting jiggy’ in there…

Is this thing some sort of municipal sex pond, or are you a member of a local dogging club? 😯

jambourgie
    Free Member

Pure optimism I imagine. “If I build it, they’ll come”

Anyway, cool sex-shed.

burko73

“If I build it……”

That nearly put me off my breakfast……..

Nice grey hard hat and safety flip flops in the pics above. I especially like the way you’ve used extra long screws so they stick right through the joists – I guess it’s so you can see where they are and avoid them to save another accident!

AlexSimon

Looks huge!

hammyuk
    Free Member

Thats what she said Vicar….

hooli

Good progress, keep the updates coming.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

There won’t be any updates before Thursday when the underfloor insulation arrives.

The screws sticking out the joist are 100mm timberloks going through two 47mm joists. The points will help hold up the insulation when it is put into the gaps.

It is quite big but you have to remember there is a 2.1m x 2.1m hydrotherapy pool going in and there needs to be room to walk round it. Plus a sauna at the far end.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Okay, insulation in and floor down

DT78
    Free Member

Does your missus do all the hard work and you help by taking the odd photo?

Looks good, impressive progress. Expect rain stops play today 🙁

Harry_the_Spider

HOW BIG IS THAT BIRD FEEDER!!! 😯

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

….and why do you have half a bucket on wheels?

senorj

I do love a good shed thread……. 🙂

AlexSimon

hydrotherapy pool

yeah yeah

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Seeing as it’s WCA doing DIY, it’s more than likely to be a blood bath!! 😉

granny_ring

LOL @ Harry.

donald
    Free Member

This thread is useless without X Rays

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Rain stopped play for the morning and early afternoon but managed to get a couple walls and one of the sliding doors framed up.

I was going to insulate and clad them as well but then read Donalds comment and left them looking like the shed had been X-Rayed

muppet4
    Free Member

What thickness of ply did you use??

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

25mm for the floor. Possibly overkill but if I ever decide to turn it into a rhino dance school it won’t flex.

I am building a Google Sketch up model too if anyone wants it

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Not massive progress today as I slept late and finished early when some cold beer arrived.

Triangulation on the frame to make it suitably rigid.

Also fixed a timber to the garage ready to fix the wall to it once the tub is craned over to top of the garage. The wall panel and sliding door panel are leaning against the garage wall.

Bricked up the window but ran out of slop before I could fit the top row so we have an interesting vent for the moment.

Off for a quick shower and then some more beer with friends

voodoo_chile

No need for the diagonal noggins it will be strong enough once it is cladded , looks like standard 400 mm centres ?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

600 centres.

Probably no need for the diagonals but they were scrap wood so why not.

Also, there will be sliding doors so quite a lot of force potentially hitting the corners.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Rain stopped play outside. Yes, it does sometimes rain in sunny Southampton

Managed to get some wood cut to lengths ready for when the sunshine returns

Got a nasty shock from the electrics. I knew that the old consumer unit would need replacing but didn’t realise that the wire down from the house wasn’t big enough for the current we need.

We either dig up the existing cable that runs under the foundations of the conservatory, under the patio and the garage wall etc or run a new and separate supply to the shed.

Digging up the house, conservatory and patio isn’t really an option so it has to be a new supply. Have you seen how much armoured cable costs!!! I am so glad I put the shed such a long way from the house now. First quote I got from a sparky was nearly £1400 for 80amp supply cable, consumer unit, 2 isolators a couple of plug sockets and a light switch!

Not a cost I had budgeted for.

granny_ring

Know diddly squat about the sparky things so have no idea if what I did is enough power for what you need but the electrician used existing 6mm cable (old shower supply)from the CU. I bought 25m of 6 or 8mm armoured cable for £90 (I think it was anyhow, would need to check) and a small CU for the shed, sockets, lights and cables.
    Did the first fix and then he came round to connect it all up.
    A days labour, so I saved dosh that way.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

That may be my approach.

The Sauna and Hydrotherapy pool both have a big draw so looking at 86a armoured and about 30 metres which isn’t cheap. Clipping it to the wall and burying it around the edge of the garden and getting it into the garageisn’t that technical though.

After that we cab get the sparky to fit the consumer unit and set the wires ready for tub, sauna, light, fridge etec

roundwheels
    Free Member

83 amp for the shed ? Your mains fuse for your house will no bigger than 80 amp ……

sharkbait
    Free Member

This may sound daft but did you not need planning for this?
    Doesn’t look tmeporary and does look close to the boundary.

I am not a planning expert – just interested in what you can get away with.

granny_ring

Think you’re allowed to go > 2.5m if within 1 or 2m from boundary.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

No planning required, we did check. Also spoke with the neighbour before we did anything and they are happy.

The power to the shed is as big as anything needed for the house so yes, 80amp down to it. Measured it out and it is just over 40m run so 50m of 25mm armoured cable ordered. On the bright side I should be able to run any new power from the consumer unit rather than the old one which keeps tripping at the moment if I turn the heater on.

Sauna walls up, battens against the garage in place lots of electric bits bought and waiting fitting.

I will post some pictures of progress later but a bit fragile at the moment following a late poker night.

MrOvershoot

roundwheels – Member

83 amp for the shed ? Your mains fuse for your house will no bigger than 80 amp ……

Ours is 100A but it would be prudent for WCA to check his incoming supply cables (perhaps it would be even more prudent for WCA to get an electrician to check it given his past form)

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

May not look nuch progress but a 3am poker night made Sunday quite slow.

Some holes for the electrics and the sauna wall stud work

Another hole

The sauna stud work in place

properbikeco
    Free Member

looking good, love threads like this!

andylaightscat
    Free Member

Might not need planning definitely will need Building Regs if in England

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Been a bit busy with work but a delicate little bobbin of cable has arrived

Stoner
    Free Member

jeez, how much did that cost?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 178 total)

The topic ‘WCA Shed Thread’ is closed to new replies.