• This topic has 15 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by -m-.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Wayyyyy OT: US visa waiver problems
  • bristolbiker
    Free Member

Myself and a work colleague are off to the States on Saturday on a business trip. He applied for both visas as a ‘group’ under the VWP using the ESTA website. This was early last week. Nudged him yesterday as to whether the visas have been approved – he hadn’t heard anything, and (despite getting a confirmation email with application umbers etc) on checking the website the application is not found. Have tried emailing yesterday but have had no response.

Anyone had anything similar happen and happy resolution experiences? Given the proximity to travel, I’m minded to reapply, again, today.

peterfile
    Free Member

Pretty sure you can do it up to 72 hours before (check though, my memory is hazy).

I’d reapply just in case.

Taff
    Free Member

You can always ring them, they were really helpful last time we had a mishap

bristolbiker
    Free Member

As is the way of these things…… I’ve just had an automatic email to say we are both approved to travel. Panic over – thanks all.

peterfile
    Free Member

🙂

the power of STW.

someone here probably works for the CIA and pulled a few strings

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I think O’Flashearty’s company supplies the US guvmint with post-its and coloured paperclips. Nice one Flash!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Nice. For future reference, you can go to the ESTA website and check your status online. If flying BA, it’s available as a link through the “Manage my booking” section. Choose your seats first, of course!

Am also off to the US on Saturday. Where are you heading?

Edit – Much lollage @ Y Darc, as per! 😆

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Now all you need to do is avoid the TSA rubber glove…

I wouldn’t travel to the USA and put up with all the BS on principle.

jon1973
    Free Member

I wouldn’t travel to the USA and put up with all the BS on principle.

If it’s a business trip, you probably wouldn’t have much choice.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Off, initialy, to Houston for a day, then up to Ohio for a day, then back to Houston for two more days, then overnight flight back to UK for a meeting Oop Narth next Friday. I have been quietly not looking forward to this for some time…. 😉

I have found travelling to Houston to be a breeze compared to going through NY – likewise the folks up in Ohio are about as helpful as they come.

Yep, will be flying BA – whats security like at T5 at the moment? Want to leave enough time….. but not have to get up at silly-AM.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

all the BS

Register online for a visa waiver. Fly. Where’s the BS?

You want complications? Try getting a visa for China or Russia! Especially at short notice.

Yep, will be flying BA – whats security like at T5 at the moment? Want to leave enough time….. but not have to get up at silly-AM.

T5 is pretty smooth at the moment, but as a bit of a disclaimer, I use the check in and security at the far right hand end of T5. 🙂 I tend to aim to arrive two and a half hours before a trans-Atlantic flight, but again, once through security I hit the lounge!

theotherjonv

Try getting a visa for China or Russia!

Tell me. And then when they finally grant you one, they give you one that has no relevance to the one you applied for. I have product responsibility for a plant in China now and two employees based there, so i asked for a 12 mo multiple entry, instead I got a 6 month 2 trips only.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

I tend to aim to arrive two and a half hours before a trans-Atlantic flight, but again, once through security I hit the lounge!

So about 15 mins should do it for us plebs back in cattle-class then… 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

So about 15 mins should do it for us plebs back in cattle-class then…

Yeah, sounds fine…! 🙂

On a recent flight to the US, I was that person. You know the one. The person who stumbles on to the plane last, when everyone else has been sitting waiting patiently as the crew announce “We’re just waiting for the last passenger to board….” 😳

trail_rat
    Free Member

easiest place ive ever traveled to outside europe.

even when im traveling with an irishman who was deported from the states for not having a transit visa at LAX when he was a kid.

I was nearly arrested in the ukraine for the wrong visa – after spending nearly a month there and 3 trips before they tried to arrest me.

you want a money spinner then nigeria… had to fly to london to the embassy to get a visa to go there and part with 500 sheckles for it.

in the process of applying for an equatorial guinean visa – need a police report , letters from my company and lots of money – and even then i only get a single entry. Given i used to have a residency visa there in an old passport that is bull shit !

Turkmenistan next month – that was painless … send a scan of passport to turkmenistan embassy with a letter from my work – they then issued a letter of invitation. With that and lots of sheckles ill get granted a visa on arrival.

-m-
    Free Member

Try getting a visa for China or Russia!

Tell me. And then when they finally grant you one, they give you one that has no relevance to the one you applied for. I have product responsibility for a plant in China now and two employees based there, so i asked for a 12 mo multiple entry, instead I got a 6 month 2 trips only.

China is generally OK, although if it’s your first visa they won’t normally give you a multiple entry. I’ve just had a new 12-month multi-entry issued in a couple of days without any problems. If you think it’s bad now you should have tried during the Beijing Olympics – they weren’t making it easy then!

Russia is a serious faff though – without question 😮

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Wayyyyy OT: US visa waiver problems’ is closed to new replies.