Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Waymarked Routes in the Brecon Beacons
  • nigpay1
    Free Member

Hi,

I’m camping with my other half in the Brecon Beacons for a few days this weekend. While my gf catches up on some teacher marking i’m off biking for a few hours.

I’m used to doing trail centres with waymarked routes so was looking for marked routes in the beacons?!

I’m a bit too lazy to read maps and no doubt get lost!! 🙂

Anyone help?

timmys

Mountain Biking in the Beautiful Brecon Beacons

The routes on that site (or the ones I’ve done anyway) have limited waymarking but you’d still need the maps to not get lost.

pedalhead
    Free Member

got a gps?

nigpay1
    Free Member

thanks timmys

i’ve looked at that website but a lot of the trail look like they contain lots of road sections, much rather be riding singletrack forest routes if there are any?

docrobster
    Free Member

follow the masses from tal y bont round the gap road. Place will be teeming I should think!

nigpay1
    Free Member

hi pedalhead, no GPS i’m afraid.

Used to riding singletrack trail centres so never needed one.
    Don’t really fancy buying one just for a day in brecon either

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Think you might be heading to the wrong place 😉

Perhaps take a drive over to Brechfa instead.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

Afan maybe closer depending where upon your intended camping spot is??

nigpay1
    Free Member

campsite is pretty much in brecon so i’m guessing its an hour drive to the nearest trail centre?!

Just don’t want to miss out if there are decent singletrack trails nearby, but also, don’t fancy getting lost!! 🙂

TooTall
    Free Member

Please – don’t venture out in the Brecons alone without the ability to navigate. I have seen some people get themselves into nasty situations on there. It is a military training area for many good reasons.

nigpay1
    Free Member

afan it is then. 🙂

don’t fancy being cannon fodder!

valleydaddy
    Free Member

you could do the “Gap” as in the link above, I’m sure there will be loads of folk doing it this weekend you could follow 😉

That means you could ride from your campsite too 😉

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

I’ve just heard on the radio about a big fire in the Beacons … anyone nearer know owt?

nigpay1
    Free Member

have you ridden the gap valleydaddy?

i’ve read bits about it but not sure what sort of riding it is?
    I’m guessing it’s not singletrack heaven?! 🙂

Bunnyhop

As pedalhead has pointed out, a lot of it is on fire.

nigpay1
    Free Member

i realise that bunnyhop but according to reports the fire was in the south of the beacons and is also now under control.

gwaelod
    Free Member

Just a reminder

The Brecon Beacons can be referred to colloquially as “the Beacons”, but should never ever be called “the Brecons”.

There is only one Brecon…and it is a town.

Similarly they are the Yorkshire Dales, or “the Dales”….but never the “Yorkshires”

Carry on

pedalhead
    Free Member

The Gap is a lovely area to ride, but I suspect you’ll be dodging walkers all the way up & down this weekend (which may or may not bother you). Gradual double(triple?)-track easy climb up to the Gap, lovely views at the top, ace short rocky steppy bit on the first part of the descent, followed by loose rocks & then open single/doubletrack down.

Bunnyhop

I thought the ‘Gap’ had been sanatised (remember a post on STW a while ago).

pedalhead
    Free Member

oh yes I should point out these pictures are a few years old.

nigpay1
    Free Member

thanks for the pics pedalhead, does look an amazing ride for views etc, if, like you say, it still looks like that in terms of riding!

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

The rocky steppy bit no longer exists but the surface is rapidly wearing away. Its a great ride. It seems strange to me that people could get into mountain biking and yet not enjoy stuff like that. I guess we’re on SINGLETRACKworld though. However, you really do need to be able to read a map and its nothing like a trail centre.

phil.w
    Free Member

Doing the Gap this weekend could be a bit tricky…
    Brecon wild fires link

valleydaddy
    Free Member

I’ll take some pics tomorow when I am over there

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Waymarked Routes in the Brecon Beacons’ is closed to new replies.