Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Way OT….. What saucepans / frying pans?
  • sam_underhill

Something way OT for a friday…..

10 year old hard annodised non stick pans have reached the end of their life. Annodising is all ruined, non stick is scuffed up and not very non stick any more.

I’ve got a more recent Circulon saute pan which was aweseome when new, but only a couple of years in, is no way near as non stick as it used to be (hasn’t been near the dishwasher either)

Also got a small “green pan” which is useless in the non-stick department after about 3 uses.

So what’s good? Seems like spending a fortune might not make much difference to longevity or do I just get what ever is heavily discounted and accept that they don’t last a lifetime.

Of course I’d rather use the BBQ, but it rains too much in this country so we need some new pans!

IHN

For ‘normal’ pans I wouldn’t bother with non-stick. I’ve got loads John Lewis ‘classic’ own-brand pans and they’re excellent.

http://www.johnlewis.com/63868/Product.aspx

Add a decent non-stick frying pan and you’re sorted.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I bought a Tefal non-stick jobbie in Sainsburys a while back when it was “reduced” to under 20 squid.

This one:

Currently at £22ish. It was a stopgap purchase at the time until I could afford something a bit swisher, but if I’m honst, it’s been fantastic. It gets washed straight after use and dried with a damp cloth. We only use wooden utensils in it. If I only got two or three years out of it and had to buy another it would be a bargain. It gets used for everything from frying, to omelettes to chillis.

Klunk
    Free Member

we use a square sided stainless steel thingy with a thick base, large enough to saute one chopped onion without stirring small handles and quite tall, just about perfect for most on stove cooking.

this sort of thing

Drac

Sainsbury’s had their finest range of copper bottom pans on offer again the other week. I have a couple of them and they’re better than my bloody expensive ones I bought many years ago. In the sale you can get then for about £20 onwards, not sure it’s still on.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’ve a set of stainless pans that I’ve had for 12 years, and they just keep going! They were only about fifty quid as well, although I did buy a berndes non stick frying pan recently, and it is excellent, think I paid £95 for it.

I also have a huge cast iron skillet pan, which once you season, is excellent for stuff like steaks etc, it was chep as well from a hardware store.

ThePinkster

Its just got to be Le Creuset all the way. Always have been and always will be the best. 😀

sam_underhill

hmmm half price sainsburys stainless pans sounds like the way to go. Probably can’t go too wrong there.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’ve got a wee le creuset non stick pan and it is the worst piece of kit I have ever had the displeasure to own, utterly useless. My big le creuset casserole pan is great, but the non stick stuff is awful.

treaclesponge
    Free Member

I recently got some Sainsburys copper bottom pans and they are great. They also now do full copper if you are that way inclined. They often pop up with a 1/3 off deal or half price as they are at the moment.

http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/sol/shop/home_and_garden/kitchen/pots_and_pans/saucepan_sets/122033863_cooks_collection_3piece_copper_bottom_pan_set.html?hnav=4294960667

ThePinkster

Oh, I wouldn’t touch the non-stick stuff wit hyour barge-pole. It’s got to be the proper enamelled stuff every time. seems ot last forever.

Just don’t put it in the dishwasher!

Del

i got some of the sainsbob’s copper/stainless ones after chrimbo this year and i’ve been pretty happy with them too.

spooky_b329

We have the Circulon pans, still going strong except for the lidded wok shaped one, must have inadvertently overheated it a few times as it suddenly everything started sticking to it and the surface roughed up.

Replaced it a few weeks ago with a Sainsburys copper bottomed frying pan that seems great, and got a cheap old wok out of the loft for stir frys, everything sticks to it no matter what you do but its expendable.

Copper bottomed stuff…any special care instructions as the copper has gone all mottled and seems to pick up stains easily?

sam_underhill

I’m off to Sainsbos…….

stevehine

Bourgeat frying pans here; the non-stick coating is very good and they aren’t massively expensive either; from 15 to 25ish depending on size.

Much better than your Tefal and the like overpriced rubbish 🙂

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Berndes all the way, got one for £9 in my local bargain shop and I love it.

sadmadalan

We replaced an expensive non-stick one with a John Lewis one (sale at local Waitrose) which has proved to be excellent.

mrchrispy

been eyeing those sainsburys pans for a while now.
    for that reason….im in

alfabus
    Free Member

i’ve got meyer analon (hard anodized) pans… still in perfect nick after 12 years, except for the frying pan, which has been overheated and now is a bit sticky.

Dave

stumpy01

We bought a Circulon Infinity pan set about 18 months ago & so far it’s been really good. We try to clean them soon after use and I won’t let them go in the dishwasher.

At the same time we bought a John Lewis frying pan that also seems pretty good.

Bit too early to assess longevity though.

scaled
    Free Member

It’s about that time again for me too where the non stick is starting to stick.

Top place for getting pans in TK Max, quite expensive kit at silly low prices.

ericemel
    Free Member

Le Cresuet too – had my set 10+ years now

But personally I woulndt buy the frying pans!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Way OT….. What saucepans / frying pans?’ is closed to new replies.