Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Way OT – Kitchen advice
  • Bushwacked
    Free Member

Our kitchen is about 15 years old and really hasn’t passed the test of time that well. Need to buy a new one but haven’t been in this game for a long while.

We were considering putting an extension on the side of our kitchen and building out sideways but cost for doing that is going to be too much (expect it to cost £15k+ on top of the kitchen)

So we’re going to do a like for like swap almost with a few minor changes.

Been on Ikea and Magnet and played with their kitchen planner which is a handy little tool.

Has anyone had any good experiences or recommend any particular sites? Also be interested if anyone has got any words of warning too.

What’s the best way to finance it? Was thinking of tacking on some to the mortgage but my wife’s not working at the moment and we might not get accepted now. Thinking maybe a personal loan over 3 years.

russ295
    Free Member

I fit kitchen for a living. I’ve fitted Howdens, b&q, Wickes and many more.
    I’ve got 2 kitchens in my house and both are from http://www.diy-kitchens.com. Check web for reviews.
    Best advice is dont scrimp on work surfaces, it’s what makes the kitchen IMO.
    No advice on how to finance just make sure you can afford it.

br
    Free Member

No advice on how to finance just make sure you can afford it.

Only spend what you have…, its only a kitchen.

B&Q units are decent and as long as you put them together with care they’ll last for ever. And don’t overpay for fancy worktops, just get decent ones and fit them well.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Russ – liking the link – many thanks.

wwaswas

Ordered a new set of bathroom fittings from B&Q (loo, bath, shower, sink + taps etc).

Took them 8 weeks + 7 separate deliveries (there 9 boxes in the order) before we got all the stuff delivered and in the end they couldn’t supply the shower we had to go elsewhere.

Damaged items included;

1 bath – corner caved in during transport
    1 shower screen – had 4 baths stacked on it – broken before it came out the van

They twice forgot to put stuff on the van so we only got partial deliveries.

If you’re buying anything that they don’t have in stock at the store then beware is my advice.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Don’t buy a b and q kitchen, for many reasons, including what wwaswas says above. Howden come prebuilt, so will save time and money on installation, and the carcasses are heavier and stronger than the likes of b and q. Ikea seem to get good and bad reviews.

zippykona

We had a very good experience with Benchmarx.

alfabus
    Free Member

had a very good experience with wickes kitchens in our last house. very good quality units, and well organised delivery.

good design service too.

Dave

Garry_Lager

Had a couple of Ikea kitchens and been v happy with them. Very customisable and design was easy.
    Quality was fine – Not absolutely top of the range, last forever type of kitchen obviously, but looked good and worked well.

wwaswas

So, getting stuff from Benchmarx/Howdens etc.

Opeing a cash account seems to just involve giving a name, comapny name and address.

How strict are they?

Could I just buy a £50 company (do they even need a ‘ltd’ company or do they deal with sole traders?), set up a cash account and thus access 75% discounts?

flowerpower
    Free Member

My parents recently did a load of research about replacing the kitchen. At the end of it they figured that it was the ‘fitter’ who made much more of a difference than the actual units.

If you’re doing it yourself then have fun. If you are using a fitter it might also be worth checking out his work as well as the supplier.

russ295
    Free Member

No worries bushwhacked.

I’ve fitted quite a few of them and compared to Howdens etc they are a step up in quality. Prices are very good aswell.

Russ

hammyuk
    Free Member

Howdens are massively overpriced for what they are.
    Ikea can’t be faulted – add to the mix a guarantee that will see kids left home and probably 2 new owners before it runs out and you’d be daft to go anywhere else!
    Their wooden work tops are far superior to the Howdens ones too.

ebygomm
    Free Member

IKEA worked out about half the cost of other cheapish places, even after they’d taken their 60% this week only discount off.

Units, fridge and dishwasher came to 2k. Worktops from worktop express for 250, and hob, oven, cooker hood and franke sink and tap was 1000.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Good points – bit wary of B&Q generally. Last kitchen we installed was Magnet and it wasn’t too bad but dealing with them wasn’t the easiest. The kitchen we’ve got now and was installed when we moved in 9 years ago I think is Howdens and is properly falling apart – not sure I’d go for them again.

simonbowns
    Free Member

We’ve just done ours – combination of DIY and plumber/joiner for the bits I needed them. Standard B&Q units (they get hidden by doors anyhow!) with some nicer doors/draw fronts. Tradepoint card makes a big difference. No delivery troubles. I think they’ve recently changed to pre-built units, so I’ve no experience of that.

We needed a deeper worktop, Getalit in Germany were the only ones who could make deep and wide enough. Not silly expensive either – I’d go with them again. Joiner fitted that, no way I was even trying!

nickjb
    Free Member

Have a look for a second hand kitcen. Loads or people rip out perfectly good kitchens. It’ll be less than half the price and probably better condition than your new kitchen will be by next year.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

wait, after xmas all the big stores slash their prices.

another option is find a local joiner and have one made. we have a local guy who has made our last two kitchens, both solid pine, both cheaper than any flat pack. the current one has solid slate tops, these cost me less than a cheap kitchen top from b&q.

in terms of flat packs, i bought a b&q one for our holiday place three years ago. wickes, focus etc were all about the same like for like price. its ok, its lasted well, but i would definitely buy an ikea one next time as i think they are better made/thought out.

we used b&q to plan it, i installed it, they sold me tons of unnecessary stuff. some i noticed, some i did’nt. you learn, next time i won’t be caught out! biggest mistake i made was that i measured myself and did’nt notice that my walls were not totally square, its an old wooden place, so the kitchen did not fit exactly and took quite a bit of modifying.

footflaps

When I planned my kitchen, I found so much of the expense was in the end panels, I just designed them all out (bar one). All my units and worktops came in at under £3k (this was 10 years ago mind), but all the other quotes were 2-3x as much. Installed it all myself.

Kitchen by brf, on Flickr

IHN

When we got our kitchen done in Churchdown we used Acorn Interiors for the lot – design, supply and fitting. They sorted out all the plumbing/tiling/leccy/gas stuff too.

He’s a no nonsense kind of fella so will tell tyou what will work and what won’t.

They weren’t expensive either, I’d recommend them.

Miffy
    Free Member

We used Ikea for our kitchen.
    Can’t fault it and was cheaper by a long way than others (wicks, B&Q howdens). The fitters we used did moan a bit about the ‘querkiness’ of Ikea fittings but thats just Ikea vs builders for you.
    In fact the main pain (only) about it was having spend hours at home on their kitchen tool when it came to buying it in the shop, it had to be all re-entered to buy the thing.

Still got it all on 2 year interest free credit AND for every £500 we spent we got £50 voucher (offer they do from time to time) 🙂

cheers_drive

Russ – glad to hear that as a fitter you have kitchens from diykitchens.com – we’re planning to get our new kitchen from them.

TrekEX8
    Free Member

Just moved into a house with a Wickes kitchen – nice and solid, but we fancied updating the doors only from diy-kitchens.
    Unfortunately, Wickes appear to use non-standard door sizes; might be worth bearing in mind if you’re planning on staying in the house long term?

russ295
    Free Member

Drive

I’m sure you’ll be pleased. Just make sure you triple check before you order.
    Last one I done for a punter, quotes she had was £6k plus. Got all the units, tops etc, inc fitting for about £4500.

Footflaps

Yes panels cost money!! Colour matched units are the future.

Russ

cheers_drive

Russ – Fairly happy specing the units but it’s the finishing parts (end panels, filler strips etc) I’m unsure about. It wont be for 6 months yet but when we do I might get the fitter to double check my triple checking. I don’t suppose that you’re in Cambridgeshire?

russ295
    Free Member

Tyneside bud.

Yeah get him to check. I always do the order myself and give the customer the i.d no for them to pay and sort out delivery etc.

Russ

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I’m a Kitchen fitter too based in Leicester, MFI premier installer for 8 years. I like Howdens kitchens (probably because of the familiar design features of MFI) Have fitted a few Wickes kitchens of late and rate them highly too. Not used diykitchens but have heard good things from them, priced one up with them against Howdens last month and like for like Howdens were slightly cheaper.

I wouldn’t want to fit a B&Q kitchen again if I had the choice, very poor quality for the money. ditto Magnet. Not all that keen on Ikea either if I’m honest, units are fine if a little quirky but the end panels, plinths etc were horrible quality.

alfabus
    Free Member

IHN – Member
    When we got our kitchen done in Churchdown we used Acorn Interiors for the lot – design, supply and fitting

We’re in the market for a kitchen too, so I just googled them… they’re based in Kidwelly; did they come all the way to cheltenham to fit your kitchen?? Seems a bit far!

Dave

russ295
    Free Member

Ditto.
    I fit lots of Howdens kitchens, done lots of showroom work for them and also site work. The are ok but I think the prices have creeped up over the last few years. I used to be able to mark up on the supply but now I don’t get involved, just tell Howdens to deal with customer direct and let them earn their pay. The quality of the units is still pretty poor tho and also the lamona stuff is pants. Panels/doors etc are pretty ok.
    B&Q, Wickes are about the same but ikea is off my list, one was enough!

Russ

IHN

Alfabus – they’re definetly in Churchdown. Google Acorn Interiors Churchdown

It’s a local kitchens for local people type outfit though, so you need to get him round really.

qwerty
    Free Member

We have placed our order with DIY kitchens and expect delivery next week,
    we paid a little extra to have all the doors fitted etc, spent ages on the order and many phone calls just to check on stuff. Worktop will be from worktop express who will also install as local.
    We went down the Howdens Benchmarx route but I hated the made up inflated pricing system but we did use some of their planning advice.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Way OT – Kitchen advice’ is closed to new replies.