Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Way dull sorry! -> Steer me through the mobile internet dongle package jungle
  • no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

I’ve ploughed through all this stuff online and am none the wiser.

3 seems cheap, yet might be crap?

5gb monthly allowance seems like it might be enough, yet is more expensive than 1gb?

7.2 Mbps seems like a fast enough quoted speed, yet it might be nowhere near this in reality?

I’m intending to use the mobile internet dongle thingy indoors on my PC at home in Aberystwyth. Mobile signal seems pretty darn good right in the centre of town where I live. I’m also planning to use this setup using a fairly reasonable PC, but it dates from 2003.

Is this likely to be some sort of hideous mobile internet car crash in reality?

soma_rich
    Free Member

Depends where you are going to use it. Each provider should have a 3G map. Like this. Choose the one with the best coverage in your area. As if your not covered it wont work.

http://www.vodafone.co.uk/personal/price-plans/network-and-coverage/uk-coverage-map/

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

According to 3s map they have full-on indoor coverage for Aber. (It’s most probably the same for Vodaphone.) But I’m skeptical as to what this actually works out to in reality! 😉

xiphon
    Free Member

If you are with someone like Vodafone, you have the right to return the product with 14 days (IIRC), if the quality of the signal/speed is not good enough.

Outside our flat in central London, it was blisteringly fast.

Go inside, and it was 10kb/s on a good day.

Vodafone took back the dongle (went to their local shop), and we agreed it was not fit for purpose.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Depending on what phone you have I’d suggest taking an unlimited data bundle and tethering the phone rather than having a seperate dongle.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Hmmm… yes, but. I don’t have a contract mobile phone 😳

Don’t want one either!

joolsburger
    Free Member

I see. What are you, some kind of technological pygmy?

epicyclo

no_eyed_deer – Member
    Hmmm… yes, but. I don’t have a contract mobile phone
    Don’t want one either!

I’m with you on that.

No debts, no one sucking money out of my accounts.

Cash is king.

Until technology can handle this, it sucks.

Del

we are a ‘tech’ company, so using the net all day every day, watching vids, spotify, iplayer, and generally pi55ing about ( though we work sometimes, honest! ), and between 9 of us only use ~ 2gb/month.
    i personally am streaming radio or whatever pretty much 8 hours/day.

xiphon
    Free Member

Del – Member
    we are a ‘tech’ company, so using the net all day every day, watching vids, spotify, iplayer, and generally pi55ing about ( though we work sometimes, honest! ), and between 9 of us only use ~ 2gb/month.
    i personally am streaming radio or whatever pretty much 8 hours/day.

You’re definitely a light user then!

We chomp through around 100 gigs per month, company of 20.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Way dull sorry! -> Steer me through the mobile internet dongle package jungle’ is closed to new replies.