Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Watford or near enough bike mechanic/shop
  • vrapan
    Free Member

Hi does anyone know of a decent enough shop/mechanic in the area? The guy I used use hasn’t responded to a couple of texts and an email from last week so not sure what’s happened there but my bike needs a fair amount of attention before I start riding again and I definitely can’t do the work myself!

Happy to travel a bit as long as trains go wherever a competent enough place exists.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Addiktion Cycles on Victoria Street in St Albans would be worth a look. All I know about them is that when I punctured nearby and walked there to get a new tube (long story), they insisted on lending me all the tools required to get things going again, including making me a cup of tea and offering me facilities and swarfega to wash my hands afterwards.

That’s enough to convince me to go there any time I’m nearby and need a bike shop.

Gunz
    Free Member

Used to use this place a lot in the 90’s, always had good service (obviously may have changed by now but they are right in the middle of Watford).

http://www.cycleopediawatford.co.uk/

vrapan
    Free Member

I know cyclepedia but have heard mixed things about them …

I ‘ve heard of addiktion so might give em a go 🙂

andylaightscat
    Free Member

I’ll second Addiktion,Lloyd(mechanic) is very thorough

makkag
    Free Member

i know chris and simon very well in cyclopedia and they have looked after me and many friends faultlessly over the last five years. after simon took it over from his dad its very much more MTB focused and i have never had a problem with chris spannering my turner or my flatmates santa cruz.. i would highly recomend them , they are open till 8pm on thursdays if that helps ?

regards

Dean

vrapan
    Free Member

Thanks makkag, sounds good, I am going drop by and talk to Simon about demoing a yeti on Saturday so I will have a chat and might drop the bike by him to sort it out. D

Do you know if they mess with tubeless/truing wheels and all that?

makkag
    Free Member

I know Chris is a fantastic wheelbuilder so im sure they will , never had them co anything like that to me though mate . Si’s a good guy he will tell you straight enough

MattEmulsion
    Free Member

+1 Addiktion

+1 for cyclopedia. Heard mixed reviews in the past, but cannot fault the service iv’e received recently

Bagstard
    Free Member

Another +1 for Cyclopedia, they have helped me out many a time.

vrapan
    Free Member

KK I will have a chat with them tomorrow then 🙂 Thanks a lot guys, always helpful to get a bit of reassurance.

Unrelated to this topic are you all that recommended Cyclopedia local to watford?

makkag
    Free Member

I live in kings Langley pal , ride whippy woods , ashridge, Aston hill , swinley, peaslake & trail center trips regularly. few of us in group. allways happy to meet new riders. Going to swinley tomorrow if you fancy it ?

seadragon
    Free Member

Trax in Buntingford, small shop but they know their stuff and are enthusiastic, would recommend them for sure.

Open every day except Sundays and Wednesdays

numbnut
    Free Member

Buntingford’s a 45-60min drive from Watford.

Bagstard
    Free Member

I’m in north Watford, also ride Aston, Whippy woods etc,

vrapan
    Free Member

I live in kings Langley pal , ride whippy woods , ashridge, Aston hill , swinley, peaslake & trail center trips regularly. few of us in group. allways happy to meet new riders. Going to swinley tomorrow if you fancy it ?

Yeap you got the spirit of my question, I was trying to fish for people to ride with, can’t do tomorrow the Anthem needs a bit of work before it rides anything other than to work and back (back brake is off and there is not much thread on the tyres either…) but I wouldn’t mind taking you up on that after the Anthem is ride worthy again.

Mind you if you all ride Aston Hill you are way out of my league of messing about in Whippy woods and Berko/St Albans 🙂

jairaj

not sure if you’re still looking for places to get your bike fixed but I’ve had great service from the guys in Cycle Surgery in Hemel.

I don’t buy a lot of stuff from there but the mechanics seem good.

makkag
    Free Member

Im no Steve Peat buddy !! and if your riding to an from work its likely your much fitter than me at the moment so no fear you will keep up
    the group is a fair mix, and its not all gnarly so if you fancy coming out and perhaps doing a few things you havent before id be happy to arrange something when the bikes fixed – email in profile – Dean

hunta

If you’re after riding buddies in the St Albans / Harpenden area try Googling OTT mountain bikes – regular rides from Harpenden and midweek from St Albans – or email me.

vrapan
    Free Member

jairaj : Will keep in mind but for the time being and as it is down the road from me will drop by Cyclopedia tomorrow.

Makkag I’ll sent an email off soon as I have my bike sorted, haven’t gone on a proper ride since last September when I did the Newcastle to Edin ride and I am itching to get on it again. Very kind of you 🙂

Hunta Used to go out with OTT a couple years back when their weekend rides used to start near St Albans. However Harpenden is a massive trek for me given I do not own a car and St Albans is a good 45 minutes away so on a working night is iffy to say the least.

Goldigger
    Free Member

Bit of an old post…
    Makkag,BagstardI’m in Apsley…always looking for new people to ride with..
    Locally I normally ride up into chipperfield, Bovingdon or along the canal into ashridge.

Never tried aston hill..

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Watford or near enough bike mechanic/shop’ is closed to new replies.