Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Waterproofs
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

I have 2 waterproofs, a pac-lite riding one (for ridiing!) and a nice hooded Howies Shoeller one (walks/shopping etc). Neither get worn much (I’m a bit fair weather adn sweat so much a softshell is often better) and I wondered about rationalising this to one light hooded one…would that be OK for occasional mountain-walks?

If so, any suggestions?

cynic-al
    Free Member
    niloC
    Free Member

Take a look at the Montane Venture, made from event, light enough but better than paclite imo

druidh
    Free Member

I love my Schoeller gear, but I would never rely on it, in the hills, as a waterproof. A simple Paclite jacket with a stowaway hood would surely do any walking/riding duties and then keep the Howies one for around town.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Thanks chaps – druid why not?

Do CRC still have hundreds of RF jackets cheap?

Oh and FAOD I am a cheapskate!

druidh
    Free Member

None of the Schoeller materials are rated to anywhere near the same waterproofedness as a membrane/laminate-type material such as GoreTex or Event. In fact, I don’t think I’ve ever read any blurb by Schoeller claiming any of their fabrics are waterproof at all – merely water-repellant. That means they’re OK for short periods but won’t handle a sustained soaking.

Like I said, I’ve got some Schoeller stuff already (jacket and two sets of trousers) and they are marvellous, but I would never rely on them as my only waterproof layer if I knew I was likely to be out for several hours.

LsD
    Free Member

BOSH! ………..hth

cynic-al
    Free Member

Ooh I had a serious question…is there any reason a lite waterproof (Montane Venture and H20 are appealing)…would be rubbish say 3-season walking where you’d normally have something chunkier?

cynic-al
    Free Member

*bump*

chiefgrooveguru

With the really lightweight stuff a rucksack will wear out the shoulders prematurely.

druidh
    Free Member

These lighter weight waterproofs aren’t rated to the same degree of repellancy as some of the heavier weight materials.

Have you looked at the OMM Kamleika? Olly has one.

Shack
    Free Member

For what its worth, I have a pacelite jacket and a Montane event. The event definately breathes better than the pacelight. However when its really cold the event is nowhere near as warm as the pacelight. Havnt noticed any difference in waterproofness. Tend to wear the Event on the bike and the Pacelite for walking.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Waterproofs’ is closed to new replies.