Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • waterproofing a tent
  • andy7t2
    Free Member

after a few leaks this weekend it’s time to waterproof my tent just wondering what’s the best product to use

Cheers in advance

wrightyson
    Free Member

+1 for the advice! Not taking our best tent to v fest in two weeks so gonna dog out the Old 2 man dome which also will need a bit of tlc I reckon!!

Stoner
    Free Member

I use Nikwax tent and gear proof.

Spray and sponge on to the tent on a sunny day. Allow to dry.

BadlyWiredDog

Either Nikwax or Grangers stuff works well, depends on the tent fabric, which particular treatment you use. You might also want to use some seam sealer on the stitched seams of the fly sheet if it’s leaking there.

mattstreet

Have used the Grangers stuff and it worked a treat – did a great job of keeping water beading during a wet Welsh week and meant it dried out really quick once it got the chance too! You will need a nice dry day to apply it, and I’d recommend the paint/sponge-on method rather than just spraying – I got better and more even coverage, but ymmv.

Muke
    Free Member

Have a look at UKCampsite.co.uk for all your camping needs

stumpy01

I used a great big can of Fabisil a week ago on my tent & it worked ok, but it’s quite a fine spray & the wind seemed too take a lot of it away. I ran out with just over 1 side to go on a fairly average size 3man tent.

I bought some Nikwax tent & gear proof to finish it off & the non-aerosol spray seems to be a better method of application. I sprayed it on & then rubbed it over to get better coverage with a cloth.

dyna-ti

I use Granger’s fabsil gold,meant to be among the best but a bit pricey at £18/ltr
    More silicon in it.
    Paint on is better than spray.

stavromuller
    Free Member

Cost of waterproofing + time and effort versus new tent from GO? No brainer.

matt_outandabout

Nikwax Tent and gear proof – spray on, works a treat. Check seams for sign of degradation as well. I now also treat my inner as well and it is much better on a multi day trip to have a moisture-hating tent – shake the water off nearly…

I have even revived an old tent very successfully with wash in TX10 – chucked inner and outer washing machine in without any guys and it works well.

BadlyWiredDog

Re-using resources instead of trashing them and using more and trashing the planet. No brainer.

stumpy01

stavromuller – Member

Yep, it is a no-brainer.
    Far cheaper to re-waterproof your current tent, than get rid & buy a new one. Nikwax stuff cost me £7 & it took about an hour to put tent up, spray & get tent packed away.

trail_rat
    Free Member

if your buying tents cheaper than fabsil then your probably never going to get a waterproof tent …..

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Quickly clean the tent first, then use Grangers Fabsil: AMAZON LINK
    I got it from Millets, prices are fairly standard but you’ll probably only need the 1L tin if you’re only doing 1 tent.
    I’ve used Nikwax before, but have found this to be much better and won’t use anything else now. I used a spare paintbrush to apply and it doesn’t take long.
    It’s worth using some seam-sealer too.

andy7t2
    Free Member

thanks for all your replies got some grangers just waiting for a dry day

grantway
    Free Member

Put it up inside your home LOL

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘waterproofing a tent’ is closed to new replies.