Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Waterproof women's road cycling jacket … does it exist?!?
  • Sue_W
    Free Member

I seem to be seeking the impossible, a women specific (not unisex – I’m only 5′ and have “curves”!), which is waterproof (not showerproof), very lightweight and breathable (suitable for fast road cycling not commuting), and in a bright colour.

Have found several men’s one’s, but nothing for women. Any suggestions? Happy to pay for a high quality technical jacket, but many female options seem to be for commuting, mountain biking, or not that high intensity road riding.

clubber
    Free Member

There is a myth out there that there are water proof jackets out there that won’t get sweaty inside even if you sweat a lot.

If you are a sweater (as I am) then there simply isn’t a material out there that will cope with it. If so, you might be better getting something water resistant but very breathable and wear enough layers underneath to keep warm if damp.

Ignore all the above if you don’t sweat 😉

Out of interest, which are the men’s ones that are appropriate?

alpinegirl
    Free Member

Have you looked at the Showers Pass jackets? I really like mine, there are various UK stockists now. (For sizing, I’m a tallish 10/12 and the medium fits me well).

jonathan
    Free Member

Obviously I can’t claim any specific experience of women’s jackets, but some very particular people I know swear by Gore stuff… they do seem to have a good women’s range that looks like it could tick most of your boxes.

BadlyWiredDog

I’m liking Mavic’s road cut stuff generally and they do make a women’s lightweight waterproof road jacket:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mavic-2013-oxygen-h2o-womens-jacket/rp-prod79080

Not sure how it’s cut and, unfortunately it’s white, but might be worth a look as it sounds like it hits the spec in theory and if you fit XS it’s massively reduced at CRC – you could always send it back. Shame it’s white, the similar men’s jacket comes in red.

There are also some Gore Bikewear options

I’ve found Active Shell a really good fabric for road riding where output tends to be relatively steady.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

My friend bought Gore – it fitted her a treat.

Sounds like she is a similar build to you.

As others have said – there is no miracle material, unless it’s bloody cold outside, with dry air, it doesn’t take very much for membranes to be overwhelmed.

The only material I heard might be able to cope is Paramo, but IDK if they do bike stuff.

honeybadgerx

My better half has got a mavic one which is well made and cut very nicely

crikey
    Free Member

The best cycling jacket for wet weather is the Castelli Gabba jacket. That comes from 25 years of riding experience. If pro cyclists are using it when not sponsored, it suggests that it’s a good bit of kit, and if I like it what other recommendation would you need?

rickon
    Free Member

I’ll suggest the Mavic waterproofs. I have a H20 GTX one, and my missus has a Raintech one. Awesome jackets, very thin, very packable, very bright, very fitted, and cleans up like new.

Plus it’s waterproof. And it has pit zips, forearm zips, and a venting zip down the front – so it actually doesn’t get sweaty 🙂

aP
    Free Member

Castelli, rapha, Altura (not so lightweight) and Mavic all make good women’s waterproof, lightweight road cycling jackets that fit a normal shaped woman. At least herself has jackets from of the above manufacturers for the different tasks of commuting, grim days from the off, changeable days and I really hope it doesn’t rain (but just in case).

BadlyWiredDog

The best cycling jacket for wet weather is the Castelli Gabba jacket. That comes from 25 years of riding experience. If pro cyclists are using it when not sponsored, it suggests that it’s a good bit of kit, and if I like it what other recommendation would you need?

Do they make a women’s-specific Gabba?

yorlin
    Free Member

There’s some nice ones on Minx, like this Gore red jacket ; the people who run the site are dead helpful with sizes etc if you email them.

crikey
    Free Member

Do they make a women’s-specific Gabba?

Hmmm… dunno actually.

It is a stretchy material, so I suppose it may depend on the er… shape of the woman in question.

Sue_W
    Free Member

Many thanks for all the suggestions folks – plenty to start looking at.

I’ve had a few issues with Mavic and Castelli jersey sizing as I’ve found them a bit long in the arms / body and too tight over the (ahem!) chest. Will try again, but any indications as to fit?

rOcKeTdOg

OH uses Altura night vision ne (she’s 5ft2), also altura Varium is nice

Metasequoia

Have a look at Rapha….good stuff meets the brief for the road.

crikey
    Free Member

Many thanks for all the suggestions folks – plenty to start looking at.

I’ve had a few issues with Mavic and Castelli jersey sizing as I’ve found them a bit long in the arms / body and too tight over the (ahem!) chest. Will try again, but any indications as to fit?

I think you’ll have to try them on, especially if you’ve got big …er… sizing issues. The whole idea of the Gabba jackets is that they fit closely and don’t flap about. When I was racing, I used an Assos waterproof with the sleeves cut down to just above the elbow as my last resort; the Gabba replaces that.

I think the search for the perfect waterproof is still in progress; I’ve used just about everything from pertex through boil-in-the-bag as well as Pac-lite and the lighter Castelli Helium things. The Gabba is the best so far, but still doesn’t deliver the perfect dry inside wet outside when you’re at full speed.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Waterproof women's road cycling jacket … does it exist?!?’ is closed to new replies.