Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Waterproof trousers?
  • loddrik
    Free Member

Can anyone recommend me some good waterproof trousers? Looking for something not too expensive so no gore tex etc, just need to keep the water out and be comfortable.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

OMM Kameika? running ones

robhughes
    Free Member

new gortex army surplus off ebay.got mine for £7.50 new then got them altered to 3/4 for the winter as over shorts £4.50 from a local shop.
    can,t beat em.the army gortex is spot on.it has to be for obvious reasons.
    you.ll find loads of folks on here use them.
    i,ll find a link and stick it on in a min..

cinnamon_girl

Denbigh Army Surplus?

sv

Got my Goretex Army ones too (£9) – just need to do the 3/4 thing now!

mieszko
    Free Member

I bought some Endura waterproofs and they cost me about £40. They have a very nice cut and are bike friendly + very comfy to ride with but stopped being waterproof after 5 rides in the rain and the DWR stopped "working" after the second ride. I

m 36-38 waist and got 38 waist model. Fit perfectly on their own or it can be possible to wear with tights but anything thicker would be a problem. Might be a good idea to go up a size if You're planning to wear normal baggies under. Tested them twice during some heavy rain and cold wind (in Scotland :-)) and whereas in Enduras I would be wet and cold in those babies I was dry, warm and comfortable. DWR did a great job. I did pay £20 for them but the quality is really very good. I'm planning to add some belt loops but apart from that they do the job perfectly shame they don't come in stealth black like Endura. Can't really go wrong with them and it won't hurt Your pocket if they get damaged or You'll make shorts out of them. Also they are reinforced on inside legs and shins with two layers of material.

ton

who's the handsome fella sporting £15 army goretex cut offs………in sunday's deluge……….

zaskar
    Free Member

Dunno but the image of him decking the little guy and stealing his bike with the van comes to mind??? 😉

BillyBull
    Free Member

Thanks. Every so often there's a why didn't I think of that thread on here. This is one of them. My Endura's split at the seams and stopped being waterproof. Don't want to spend that sort of money again so this is a great idea. Cheers again.

robgarrioch

Thanks for that link robhughes – gonna have a pair of those myself, can't go wrong at that £ (hopefully). Do we know of any 'performance' difference between brown / green?

juan
    Free Member

JFC I hope no one in a white van will collide with ton. That woudl certainly write of the van.

As fro the waterproof, I am a user of the gore tex army trousers cut down to 3/4.
    EDIT

Do we know of any 'performance' difference between brown / green?

Well depends if you intend to fight 'terrorism' locally in the wood of britain or plan to go in the middle east for that 😉

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Personally, I don't like waterproof full-length for mountain biking – you just end up feeling like a boil-in-the-bag chicken.

Long waterproof shorts, plus some non-waterproof leg covers if it's cold. The leg covers will get damp, but you'll be more comfortable than without, and not overheated due to the partial exposure… 😉

By the way, Sealskin socks are feckall use, in our experience. Try Altura goretex with your regular socks underneath.

robgarrioch

depends if you intend to fight 'terrorism' locally in the wood of britain or plan to go in the middle east

I'll keep 'em guessing by wearing desert camo in the darkest Pentlands.. 🙂

Sealskin socks are feckall use

Might try my motorbikin' tip of sticking a freezer bag 'twixt sock & shoe next time too. Must be worth a try..?

devs
    Free Member

Got both dezzy and regular Goretex breeks and they are identical bar the colouring. The dezzy ones just don't look right though for some reason.

BillyBull
    Free Member

Right got a pair. Now need to decide where to cut them?

theflatboy
    Free Member

i may have to invest in a pair of those for my commuting outer-wear!

BillyBull
    Free Member

Tried my army gortex 3/4's out on rainy local ride today. Worked fab and all for £20 all in. Don't even have to last anywhere near as long as the Endura ones to be a bargain at that price. And the enura's didn't last that ong. But I suspect they will looking at their build. Would well recommend making a pair.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

How do they come up size wise? I swap between 32 and 34" jeans, should I go for 34 in these or are they quite generous to go over other trousers etc??

robgarrioch

A lot depends on your 'chunk-factor' – I take a 34" leg, & have to roll the waistband down on the size 'L' cut-offs as the crotch – waist length is huge. If you're slim / medium build, I'd suggest mediums.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Waterproof trousers?’ is closed to new replies.