Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Waterproof shorts & winter riding boots dilema
  • Clong
    Free Member

I ride all winter in the waterproof shorts (hard me,grrrr), but i’m getting a bit miffed at the boots filling with water when its raining. The shoes are shimano MW80 (soon to be lake 302 if i can find a size that fits). I’ve tried using waterproof trousers, etc, but i find them uncomfortably hot. Any suggestions? Ive thought about getting some wet suit boots, and cutting the ankle bit off to use a gaiter of some sort.

organic355
    Free Member

Do you sometimes get that strange feeling of deja vu?

funkynick

Marigolds*… buy a pair and chop the hand part off, leaving you with a handy rubber tube to use as a gaiter…

*other rubber gloves are available…

z1ppy

Heavy Duty Marigolds (as there black not yellow or pink)

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Fill boot with silicone sealant.

elliptic
    Free Member

Not a bad idea that ADH – seal your feet into your winter boots now, leave them on until April 🙂

loddrik
    Free Member

May be time to abandon your principles and do what any normal person would do, get waterproof trousers and some gaiters, maybe if you weren’t so hardcore they wouldn’t get too hot.

avdave2

Heavy duty Marigolds here.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I made some neoprene gaitors which are pretty good but water still gets in eventually….. i was thinking of getting some drysuit wrist or ankle seals as I think they may do a better job.

loddrik
    Free Member

Anyone wearing shorts in freezing wet conditions and then complaining about it deserves wet feet.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Change to none waterproof shoes. Go for the most vented race shoes possible. Water gets in, it runs out. In fact, the Shimano SPD sandal is perfect for winter riding 😆

JImmAwelon
    Free Member

I was mulling over this last night and came up with this:

Shave ankles, apply electrical tape to ankles a few strips wide and at the height of your boots, put the boot on and then tape around your ankle tape and the boot cuff thus sealing it.

After reading other posts I think I’m gunna try the heavy duty marigolds gasket idea – I have a set of blue ones in the shed in SID blue for a retro look!

elliptic
    Free Member

However you seal the boot tops the key is it has to go *under* your tights/leggings/whatever otherwise the runoff just seeps straight down into your socks.

In really grim conditions I’ve used sealskin socks with duct tape around the top – if you use rubbish duct tape from a pound shop it doesn’t stick as well so it’s less painful to peel off…

JImmAwelon
    Free Member

Waterproof shorts are usually work over big longs or 3/4’s.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

waterproof shorts + waterproof boots = epic fail

logically unless you can totally seal from the entrance to your boots then rain is always going to get in…

so buy some trousers and sweat abit more, better than getting soaked with rain…

yoshimi

non-waterproof shoes and wool socks – just accept your feet are going to get wet – all this talk of marrigolds seems a lot of hassle

Clink

Here you go
    😀

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Waterproof shorts & winter riding boots dilema’ is closed to new replies.