Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Waterproof shorts- which ones?
  • SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Girlfriend’s family are buying me some for christmas and was wondering which are best. I had Endura superlights and was thoroughly unimpressed with them (they’re pretty badly made).

What alternatives are there? I’m looking at-

IXS Nepean
    Altura
    Craft Performance

My head says Craft for quality and I’m not sure if the IXSs will be instock in time for the Puffer.

Also, they’ll be buying from the states so are there any other brands doing some that we can’t get that they could?

Cheers!

cinnamon_girl

Gore Alp X

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Oh, should’ve said, the Gores are too pricey I’m afraid. About £60 is the limit.

cinnamon_girl

Well, I suggest you have a look around! Wiggle were doing 20% off, also if you search on Amazon you can get them for £65 including postage.

forgotmename
    Free Member

I dont know if the company is still going but Freestyle used to do some really good overshorts for about £25 ish, they pack down to the size of an apple which is really handy.

Northwind

I’ve got 2 pair of Altura Attacks, both spot on- they’ve had a decent amount of use and a few crashes, still good as new. Good kit IMO. Though I know Altura’s rep and I know it’s probably deserved!

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

What, cheap and dependable?

Northwind

Incredibly awful warranty support. But I get on fine with Altura stuff (4 pairs of shorts, no bother with any), I’ve just seen others do not so well.

whyter

I’ve a pair of Altura and they’ve been OK. Lost the water-beading after one wash (in soap flakes), but still waterproof enough. Great for keeping the windchill off in drier (spring/autumn) weather too. Worth a punt if you can get them cheap-ish.

giantjason
    Free Member

i have a pair of altura that are about 2 years old and seem to have held up well.

if i was buying again i would either go for the Gore or Endura waterproof as they seem better quality.

delusional
    Free Member

I’ve got a set of Sombrio Wildcard shorts and (based on about 2-3 weeks of ownership so far) I’d thoroughly reccomend them.

Despite the “freeride” marketing the fit is pretty bang on for me for general trail riding. Length to just over the knees and fabric & fit that look good enough you could almost wear them off the bike as normal shorts. Importantly they seem well built and very waterpoof (more so than my upsettingly expensive Vaude eVent jacket).

If my previous experience with Sombrio shorts is anything to go by they should last as well as they look – I’ve had a set of Highlines that have gone through a lot of riding, during which several sets of Enduras have been consigned to the bin.

chakaping
    Free Member

Altura Attack very impressive so far.

Baldysquirt

I’m on pair 2 of altura attack and am about to send them back as they’ve never kept me dry. One wet descent and I’ve got a wet chammy that’ll take longer to dry than if I’d just worn normal shorts. The fit seams to be much worse on the second pair as well. Not impressed.

clubber
    Free Member

Very happy with my Altura Attacks

wwaswas

was going to recommend the dhb event ones but you’d have to buy them I guess if you went for those.

they do come up a bit small – I’m normally medium but had to have a large and they’re ‘snug’.

cinnamon_girl

The Gore ones are made from Paclite so very lightweight and minimalist, in fact you hardly know you’re wearing them. The downside obviously is durability.

I don’t use mudguards, they are completely waterproof and I have always stayed dry.

16stonepig
    Free Member

I’ve got the Altura Attack 3/4s. Perfectly happy with them, and the waterproofing is still fine (but then I never put them in the machine. Just hose them off).

I traditionally test the breathability quite heavily – you can read that as being a sweaty **** – but I’ve had no problem with these.

0pt1cal
    Free Member

Gore Alp X are on year 4 and still going strong.

iainc

Altura Attack 3/4’s here too. A side pocket zip bust after 10 months and was replaced within 2 weeks with new pair under warranty. Great service from Merlin 🙂 . would definately have another pair if I was buying

fuzzhead
    Free Member

+1 for the Sombrio Wildcard

bluebird
    Free Member

Another vote for Sombrio Wildcard shorts

LoveTubs
    Free Member

Bit of a hijack, but what about these…bit OTT?

Sorry, not those but these

yoshimi

Cyclesurgery doing Gore Alp X for £57

yoshimi

BTW what is the sizing like on the Gore Alp X?

Gee76
    Free Member

Of those with the wildcards can anyone vouch for the fit? I have found sombrio quality good in the past but sizing can be a bit hit n mis. They ususlly come up big for their size but not always (it can depend on year i’ve found). I’m 32-34″, anyone else out there can confirm the mediums are about as advertised for the 2010 wildcards? Or should i size up or down?

Gee76
    Free Member

Of those with the wildcards can anyone vouch for the fit? I have found sombrio quality good in the past but sizing can be a bit hit n mis. They ususlly come up big for their size but not always (it can depend on year i’ve found). I’m 32-34″, anyone else out there can confirm the mediums are about as advertised for the 2010 wildcards? Or should i size up or down?

delusional
    Free Member

I’d go for the medium. I’ve found I had to size up with my Highlines, but the Wildcards are as expected.
    I’m 30-32″ and the wearing a Small in the Wildcard.

CrombieCraig
    Free Member

Endura Superlite, work well for me. First pair lasted just shy of 12 months with a lot of use. Small hole started to form at the crotch so sent them back and got a new pair under warranty. Couple of months in with these ones and I cant fault them!

Rickos
    Free Member

I got some Alturas and they’re OK. Totally ignore their sizing guide though – they’re massive! I went for Large based on their guide and had to send them back for mediums which are still bloody big.

Gee76
    Free Member

ta delusional, looks like i’m at the mercy of the chain reaction sizeist pricing policy then:(

Gee76
    Free Member

ta delusional, looks like i’m at the mercy of the chain reaction sizeist pricing policy then:(

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Endura’s a no go- thoroughly unconvinced by the reliability of their kit.

The Sombrio’s look good. I like their kit, so they’re tempting.

The Gores are $230 over there. So, erm, no.

chakaping
    Free Member

I got some Alturas and they’re OK. Totally ignore their sizing guide though – they’re massive! I went for Large based on their guide and had to send them back for mediums which are still bloody big.

Odd, I’m usually a medium but went for the large based on their size advice and they are fine.

Look huge but cinch down nice when on and forget I’m wearing them.

bluebird
    Free Member

I’d say Wildcards come up slightly small. I’m a 32-33″ waste and take a large.

Gee76
    Free Member

ah that was kinda what i was hoping with the wildcards as for some reason the large ones are nearly 10 squid less. Weird, surely there is more material in em… Weird!

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Waterproof shorts- which ones?’ is closed to new replies.