Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Waterproof shorts
  • andybrad

So my second pair of Madison tempest shorts have died. Large holes through the arse. Obviously this is caused by the mud (I ride in mud a lot surprisingly when its wet) getting onto the saddle. Its already worn through the anodising on my liteville in 5 rides so I guess the shorts didn’t stand any chance.

However my flux and sombrio highline shorts carry on for years with nothing to shorts for it apart from a slightly worn patch. I have used the tempest shorts significantly less than the others I have and yet they have died. I think ive used the tempest ones about 12 – 15 times before they have holed.

So any recommendations for a waterproof short will last? the tempest ones are exactly what im after (nice material and fit) but the longevity is crap.

trickydisco
    Free Member

I’m also looking around. I thought madison had discontinued the tempest and now have the addict.

I’ve heard from reviews the sweet protection mud ride are really very good (more pricey)

But the latter they seem to be sold out in anything but xl

jam-bo

mudrides. expensive but so far worth every penny. arse/crotch area is made from pretty heavy duty cordura type fabric. no visible signs of wear yet.

unless your S or XL you might struggle to source them though. S is a snug fit on a 32″ waist.

bianchiboy
    Free Member

My Endura MT500’s enduring their 2nd winter….as good as new.

trickydisco
    Free Member

mudrides. expensive but so far worth every penny. arse/crotch area is made from pretty heavy duty cordura type fabric. no visible signs of wear yet.

Are they 3/4 length? They look like it in the photos

Simon

Yes, I think the Tempests are discontinued. I ordered some a few weeks ago but was sent some of the new waterproof Addicts.

I’ve got some used medium Tempests that’ll I’ll be putting on the classifieds soon.

To the people wearing the arse out of your shorts, are you using a rear mud guard when it’s really muddy?

jam-bo

more 2/3rd. sit just over the knee

[url=https://flic.kr/p/CPsiBg]DSC04355 (Medium)[/url] by fully sussed, on Flickr

andybrad

any idea how the mudrides size? im an L in madision but Xl in endura

iainc

I bought some Endura MT500 Spray baggy 3/4’s the other week and have used them on 3 or 4 rides now – so impressed I also bought a pair of the regular short ones. Every bit as dry behind as previous Madison/tenn ones, but really light and flexible feeling.

tenn are good for fully waterproof and cheap

pnik

+1 for the mt500 on my second winter with them, looking pretty good still. Although not as frequent a flyer as I’d like. I had soem alturas before but it was the crotch seam that wentt on those after a couple of years, i may have put it under unreasonable strain though!

andybrad

thinking the addict dwr or the normal addict. Not sure if the dwr one will be any good?

im a bit dubious about the endure ones as they look like overshorts.

iainc

I find the Endura spray baggies actually feel lighter than my summer Singletracks… I wear them over bib shorts/3/4’s/longs, depending on the time of year

hughjayteens
    Free Member

Altura Attack 365s – first pair lasted 3 years of heavy use and just replaced them with the same again.

trickydisco
    Free Member

Altura Attack 365s – first pair lasted 3 years of heavy use and just replaced them with the same again.

I really hate black shorts! i want some colour

slowclimb
    Free Member

Norrona fjørå dri3 shorts for the win, not cheap though! 😐

dannyh
    Free Member

Cheap alternative that seem to last ages are cut-down Army Surplus goretex trousers. Although they are utilitarian in the extreme, they are extremely wee stitched and rugged. Size down, though – their sizes are on the generous side as they’re meant to be worn over full trousers.

z1ppy

trickydisco – Member

I really hate black shorts! i want some colour

Cause colour matters in the rain and when covered in mud 😉

Alutura Attack’s, not pretty but work really well, are cheap enough and long lasting.

Chipbutty
    Free Member

+1 for the Mudrides. Im a large and had to get them from Germany via a friend in Norway as they wouldn’t post to UK! I emailed Sweet protection and they said not to expect large shorts in the UK until late spring.

poah
    Free Member

I’ve got the fully waterproof MT500 II shorts. had to buy the size above normal as the legs are a bit tight but the waist still fits fine. bro in law had the same issue.

prezet
    Free Member

I use the MT500 3/4’s – prefer them for everything other than riding in summer. Wear them for weekend rides and the daily commute.

beano68
    Free Member

+1 Mudrides

postierich
    Free Member

Please don’t buy the Endura MT500 11s after buying them at Christmas they are a disappointment for the money .I ride in filth lots of rain and for more than 2 hrs they are just not up to the job reproofed already only been washed twice with grangers to spec.

Will try sweet protection when they come in stock don’t give endura anymore money for something that just does not work!!!

uselesshippy
    Free Member

I bought some “Tenn” ones from flea bay.
    Holding up well after about a dozen rides, and 18 quid.

poah
    Free Member

Please don’t buy the Endura MT500 11s after buying them at Christmas they are a disappointment for the money .I ride in filth lots of rain and for more than 2 hrs they are just not up to the job reproofed already only been washed twice with grangers to spec.

The material shouldn’t need “reproofed” as its waterproof without a DWR coating. If they were that poor then you should have returned them. mine have been great as has the jacket. Did you read the pinkbike review of the clothing?

grubbish
    Free Member

Had 3 pairs of altura attacks all lasted less than 1 winters use, just got some endura MT500’s they been on 4 rides and already have a hole in. I can’t seem to find a pair that last

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Endura MT500 works for me.

andybrad

Im liking the fit / price of the maddisons. only issue is.

full waterproof. (I liked the tempest as it worked in proper rain

dwr front. waterproof rear. (not tried that) worried it would hold water against my legs if it rains)

softshell. (I guess it will be warm but will it offer any water repellence? I bet they are more comfortable by a bit tho.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Waterproof shorts’ is closed to new replies.