Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Waterproof Jackets – Neo Shell?
  • d45yth
    Free Member

Hi, I’m in desperate need of a new jacket for walking in. The one I’ve got is like wearing a plastic bag and the biking jackets I have are too fitted to wear a few layers under.
    Anyway, I’ve been looking at Rab’s offerings – the more reviews I read though, the more confused I am! I thought the Neo Stretch was supposedly one of the most breathable jackets available, but some reviews say it’s too warm/heavy?! So I looked at the Myriad, 100g lighter, but some reviews say it’s not substantial enough!
    I can get a good deal on a Nexus but that’s the heaviest of the lot, so doubt it’s what I’m looking for.
    Can anyone confirm any of this or if you own one, recommend it or give any other suggestions. My budget is £200 – I can buy any of the above for a bit less than that.
    Cheers. 😕

speed12
    Free Member

I’ve just recently bought a Marmot Nabu jacket which is Neoshell and it is ace. It is very very breathable and easily better than the Gore Pro Shell jacket it’s replacing and better than a lightweight Rab eVent jacket I have also.

The Rab ones I think fall in to either the very lightweight category, or the ‘proper’ mountain jacket category. The uber lightweight ones will still be reasonably tough and certainly not less than a similar Gore (Activeshell) or light eVent jacket. The bigger ones will be tough as nails but then the weight penalty is there.

Where I think it really comes in to it’s own is the jackets made using the softshell version of NeoShell. It’s as waterproof as the hardshell version but softer (….). I bought the Nabu as when I go out Winter/early spring/late autumn on the hills I can now take 1 jacket rather than the breathable but not waterproof softsheel and the waterproof but not massively breathable hardshell I used to take. Neo is breathable enough to wear all the time, comfortable like a softshell and waterproof like a hardshell.

The Nexus is a fairly standard mountain jacket weight – 600g is not really that heavy when you are actually wearing it, it’s more about fit than weight unless you are doing 2 weeks with a 25litre bag up a cliff….

d45yth
    Free Member

Cheers for the reply. I must have already been on the way to the shops when you posted it. I ended up with the Neo Stretch – as it was a good fit and was also half-price. I’ve been for a long walk tonight and the main I noticed was how quiet it was compared to my old crisp packet.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Waterproof Jackets – Neo Shell?’ is closed to new replies.