Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Waterproof jacket – which one of these?
  • jsync

OK, I’ve narrowed down my choices to:

Gore fusion

Gore alp-x

Berghaus vapour storm

OK, they’re not cheap but which is best for miserable days out on the hills?

(already have decent softshells, so not interested in those)

ticsmon

Got a vapour storm myself. Great fit and very breathable. Not had it on in the rain yet though. They also come up on sports pursuit for just over £100 quite regularly. Can’t comment on the others sorry

simon80
    Free Member

I have tried on the vapour storm and the alp-x. The gore felt great, excellent cut and a solid zip but too pricey for me at the time. The berghaus was a good cut but I had a couple of issues with it. If it had an accident or were forced to stop for a long time, I would certainly be concerned about the amount of heat lost from the vents. Also the wrist closures are only elastic, and I like being able to shut out the draughts in truly horrible weather.
    So, if you can afford it, I would recommend the alp-x. Or get a mountain equipment Firefox, which is what I settled on!

Suggsey
    Free Member

Says in the blurb that the alp x ain’t waterproof?!

shredder
    Free Member

I have the Alp X superb jacket and I have had a few 😳

jsync

Ticsmon / Simon I run hot so the vapor storm still appeals. I sort of think gore would be better but the tech of the vapor storm has me..

The Firefox looks interesting as it has pit zips. It looks a bit long for a bike though?

Suggsy, the alp-x is waterproof, better link here Alp-x

Suggsey
    Free Member

What about the active vents for breath ability with a pack on, will that compromise the breath ability of the Berghaus?
    I must admit I did look at the Alp X and think briefly for myself but I’m outside their size range….along with a number of other brands!

jsync

Shredder – another vote for the alp-x then… Doesn’t it have 2 hoods too?

Suggsey – I suppose the rear vents aren’t going to be as much use and maybe the chest ones will be compromised a bit but the side gills should be OK.

leffeboy

Another +1 for the alp-x here. I got it in a sale otherwise I would never have bought it but it really is the first jacket I’ve had in years that I would really rate.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Just thought I’d put the idea out there for you as I have a ProViz 360 with vents that are blocked by a pack and make wearing it a prime boil in the bag experience!

shredder
    Free Member

Mine is like this and the hood zips off.

simon80
    Free Member

I run hot too. Which is why I chose active shell and pit zips.cooling has alot to do with blood flow,and exposed skin. You have alot of blood vessels in your armpit and again in your wrists and forearms. If you want you can either open these areas up or cover them -a very good method during changeable weather. During a sub zero ride I had on a long sleeve rab cocona top and all vents closed and,was fine when moving, just cooling when stopped. During a recent enduro the temp came,up to about 8 degree and the pit zips were great.

MountainMutant
    Free Member

Got one of these at the beginning of the week and used twice already in heavy rain

http://www.probikekit.co.uk/sports-clothing/sportful-survival-goretex-jacket-black/10904702.html?utm_source=googleprod&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=gp_clothing&affil=thggpsad&switchcurrency=GBP&gclid=CLK-8IT57sMCFdPMtAodvBAAPQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

Very impressed with fit compared to my old gore gore tex and bone dry after a 10 mile commute

tangoman19
    Free Member

I happen to have both the Alp X and Vapour Storm due to a bit of luck and miscommunication. I managed to get the Gore for £90 and unbeknown to me, the missus had bought me the Vapour Storm as a present. I have tried them both on the bike in Peak District. On the bike, the Gore won for me. Use the Vapour storm for everything else in daily use now…

jsync

Suggsy – I’ve read a few reviews of th eproviz, it isn’t supposed to be very breathable is it?

MM – Thanks, but it’s too roadie for me.

Somon – yeah, I have an altura attack which is a little small, it has pit zip which regulate the temperature as much as I need.

Shredder – Does it also have a grey one in the collar? I’m sure I’ve seen some pics with that.

jsync

Tangoman, what makes the gore better?

tangoman19
    Free Member

I’m quite broad and find it fits well round my shoulders, but doesn’t feel baggy. It’s got a lower back and the option of an extra flap which is held by press studs which can be dropped to protect your backside even further. The wrist straps are solid too. It doesn’t ride up either.

Depends what features you prefer most I guess. I just found the Gore the most comfortable and it was the one I recognised the least when riding.

The Vapour breathes slightly better and the hood is massive and adjustable (goes over the helmet no bother), it’s not removeable though. The Gore hood is pretty small and probably the worst bit of it. I’ve removed it.

To be honest they’re both great, guess its like deciding between XO1 and XX1, you won’t lose.

DiscJockey
    Free Member

Go with Gore – best make going for waterproofs. Their GoreTex PacLite material is superb.

Just thought I’d mention an alternative:

RaceFace Team Chute.

I’ve been using one daily now since October – went for hi-vis yellow as it’s for commuting. I’m really pleased with it – only comes in hi-vis or black though. Let me know if you’d like more info, as they’re quite new on the market, so not many reviews.

shredder
    Free Member

@ jsync no just the one hood on mine as per the picture think the specs changed at some point. Think mine is the latest but not sure.

jsync

Ok, thanks everyone. Looks like it maybe the alp x if I can get it on sale or the berghaus from sport pursuit.

trickydisco
    Free Member

I really wanted to get the alp x but evans are saying it’s discontinued. I think they are bringing a new range out.

RustySpanner

I’ve got an older Gore Alp and I’m basically spherical.
    XXL – fits very well, room for a warm layer.
    🙂

They do a fitting guide on the website – the fit your looking for is (), as opposed to )(.

ton

I have taken ownership of a Showers Pass double century jacket today.
    I shall report back how good it is after this weekends mini tour in the Dales.

jsync

I think it’s just a colour change on the alp x.

I think i’ll order a couple of sizes to get the correct fit, some people say size up, others not.

Cheers Ton.

wrecker
    Free Member

Just put a Gore Alp X GT AS in large in the classifieds.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Waterproof jacket – which one of these?’ is closed to new replies.