Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • waterproof down jackets (and rab batura users)
  • fontmoss
    Free Member

Yeah but of an oxymoron but had a rab peak smock for years and love it but only drawback is not taking it out when it rains. I know someone who has a rab batura which I looked up the other day and is fully waterproof which sounded amazing but the £340 price tag didn’t. Anything else out there maybe phd or mountain equipment that is waterproof but that people have used and how have they found it?

also does everyone seem to think rab quality has dropped off? my jackets is ace but keep seeing threads where people (on here) think they’re not as good as they used to be?

MrSmith
    Free Member

north face did a waterproof down jacket aimed at film crews, dunno if they still do it.
    i just wear a waterproof over my RAB if i’m standing around on location.
    i dunno about the quality of new jackets as mine is about 15 years old and still in good nic

druidh
    Free Member

RAB do jackets with the Endurance outer which is water-resistant (though not totally waterproof). Mine has been fine in light rain for short spells but I’d not chance it on anything more than that.

Problem is, a waterproof outer will be less breathable, meaning the down will get wet from perspiration.

Oh – and absolutely happy with the quality too!

mccett
    Free Member

Just bought North Face Verdi jacket (with the 30% off last weekend). Its a skiing jacket but exactly what i been looking for, 600 down and waterproof. Not tried it yet as other half has already wrapped it for Christmas but seems to be the sort of thing you’re after. I tried it on in Snow & Rock first to get sizing so they should have them to look at.

BadlyWiredDog

If you really want a waterproof shelled insulated jacket to use in the rain, it’s probably better to go for something with PrimaLoft or similar synthetic insulation, which will actually still work when it inevitably gets wet, which it will – jackets having neck holes and all. On top of that, most down jackets are too warm for conditions above zero when rain is actually going to happen – Rab’s shelled Microlight is a bit of an exception to that, but really I don’t see the logic in waterproof down jackets unless you’re climbing icefalls which are melting on you…

Rab quality? I’d say it was still generally good, they had some teething problems when they switched production to the far east and had to deal with a whole load of new factories, but I’d say it was on a par with everyone else’s. Their top-end down kit is still hand-filled in the UK, though the shells are made abroad btw.

fontmoss
    Free Member

it’s not to use in the rain as such but there are quite often times when id wear my down jacket but end up leaving it behind because worried about being caught in the rain when out. not after a rain jacket as such and i take your point, its an ideal ice climbing belay jacket which in my hands it would never be used for 😀

having a chat with someone on another forum and i should also point out it’s not for active use (im too sweaty to use any waterproof on a bike) and any down jacket would be overkill for me never mind one that is filled to the gunnels with down

druidh
    Free Member

fonmtmoss – sound like your requirement is much the same as mine was. Get something with a water-resistant outer and you’ll be fine.

ibis
    Free Member

Personally think rab stuff’s not that good
    Badge Badge Badge 😛

fontmoss
    Free Member

meh im not convinced by saying it’s a badge issue, had my rab for 6 years and it’s been great

druid what did you get in the end?

druidh
    Free Member

I got a RAB Pro-active jacket. Dunno if that’s still available?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘waterproof down jackets (and rab batura users)’ is closed to new replies.