• This topic has 12 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by cp.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Waterproof 3/4 vs. full length
  • bowglie

I'm after some waterproof legwear and am trying to make my mind up between 3/4 length shorts & full length troos. After something that's comfy enough to wear for long & dirty rides in changeable weather (being a lazy s*d, I can't be bothered taking them on & off between heavy showers)

Be interested to hear opinions & feedback, esp. on 3/4 shorts – anyone combined 'em with sealskin socks? if so, do your socks fill up with water?

scaredypants

3/4 shorts – anyone combined 'em with sealskin socks? if so, do your socks fill up with water?

yes

longs much better from that POV

mickasaki
    Free Member

Hi, got both Altura attack 3/4 and full length. I have only used the full length once, as they are very hot. probably be ok in the proper winter though. when i did use them, it was chucking down and they kept me dry and clean! I tend to wear the 3/4 most times i ride at the moment, as they stop you getting a wet arse. the only problem with them is that you still get water run down your legs and into your socks! Be good if they launch knee length seal skinz!

prettygreenparrot

The longer sealskinz are almost knee length. They reminded me of traditional walking socks.

mickasaki
    Free Member

You must have fuggin short legs then!

cinnamon_girl

Well, I have both – Gore Alp X 3/4 shorts and a pair of very old Goretex XCR trousers (don't think these are made any more).

The Alp X are great except for when I wear knee pads which is all the time these days. So have been wearing the XCR's, the fabric is heavier than Paclite but more durable and do feel I have been drier. Also wear Sealskinz.

Overall, I have definitely stayed warm and dry 🙂

bowglie

Cheers for the feedback.

hmm…sounds like I might be better off with full length troos (The XCR's would have been perfect – knew i should have got some when I saw 'em on a sale rail 1/2 price…doh!).

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

I prefer waterproof shorts (Gore) above the knee over 3/4 length lycra – full length waterproofs are a bit hot and inclined to get caught in the chain

z1ppy

Personnaly I found I just sweated like a err very sweaty thing wearing Altura Dryline full length waterproofs (admittedly not the most breathable material), and basically gave up on them, but now have some Altura attack 3/4 short and love them. I don't find my shins get cold, but having shorts on mean my legs can breath and not 'sweat' up… and they are very good waterproof short.
    Yes my boots fill up with water, but they always have, no matter what I wear.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I couldn't ride in waterproof trousers. They just look to cumbersome and sweaty to me.
    I've ridden in some truly horrendous deluges and I can't think of any reason why I'd ever want them TBH. And they catch in your chainrings too….

I do have some waterproof shorts which do work and keep your bum and undershorts dry enough to be comforable in a downpour.
    But legs and feet? I just let them get wet these days. Can't see the point in trying. Skin is waterproof and easier to clean than clothing: I have been known to hose myself down after a ride.

Pieface

Anyone else had the stitching on the Attack 3/4s start to wear through? Only used min 4 times and the fabric is wearing through to the laminate at the stitching below the waist. I'm hoping it won't be an issue as there's tape behind it but appears to be a weak spot.

I'm thinking that to stop damage to the shorts it might be worth using a crud guard anyway.

cp

i have both the 3/4 and full length altura extreme waterproofs. The 3/4's are an excellent compromise for showery (even heavy spells) and standing water combined with my seal-skins (only shortish ones). teamed up with lycra shorts, and splashing trhough big puddles, you can get splashing up the inside, which makes them feel a bit cold next to the skin, but this would be solved with 3/4 length lycra, which I plan on getting soonish.

For full on constant & steady rain and commuting to work in wet weather I wear the full lengths. They work very well for me – I thought they'd annoy the hell out of me like previous cheaper trousers, but they articulate very well, and the adjustments they have mean you can get them well out of the way of drivetrain.

cp

regardless of brand, if you're riding it gritty conditions (peak like me!) then it's worth using a crud catcher on the rear as no material will survive against this stuff! Having said that, I've used my altura extreme shorts in the grit with no guard a couple of times, and they've been fine. you can hear the grit grinding though, so it would only be a matter of time!!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Waterproof 3/4 vs. full length’ is closed to new replies.