Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Water meter
  • Pigface
    Free Member

If the water meter is spinning when no water is being drawn am I right in thinking; leak, borked meter or do they spin continually?

wrightyson
    Free Member

The only thing that it could be on the leak side of things is a faulty toilet cistern or you’d be standing in water somewhere in the house. Either that or a tap is on.
    Mine went haywire when I removed a cross bonding type wire off it when tinkering with the kit hen

MartynS

I’d think leak..

Edit… where is your meter?

momo

Leak or borked meter.

Turn off your internal stop tap to check if the leak is internal or external, if external (meter keeps spinning with stop tap off) then ring your water co ASAP as they may assist with a repair.

wrightyson
    Free Member

OK where is the meter? House or boundary box?

Pigface
    Free Member

Thanks citizens, looks like leak or mater gone wrong, water company contacted. No sign of leak but we are on very porous ground.

Meter is on pavement about 8 yards from house.

wrightyson
    Free Member

So is the meter in a boundary box?

mudshark
    Free Member

How long’s it been in? When mine was fitted my bill shot up, turned out there was a leak outside but no evidence. They said they’re supposed to check for leaks when fitting but subcontracted out and not done. My bill was reset and my insurance company paid for the external pipe to be replaced.

jb72
    Free Member

We had a leak from one of our toilets for months … it was overflowing into the bowl so you didn’t notice. It was surprising how much water a ‘silent’ leak could get through!

globalti
    Free Member

We had the same, all we knew was that we heard the occasional thump through the pipes when the valve in the cistern shut off; most of the time water was running out of the cistern down the bowl. I only diagnosed the thumps when I realised the meter was turning, went and placed a chunk of bog papar against the back of the bowl and realised water was running down. The cistern is a Geberit and the main silicon washer that blocks the flow had developed bubbles, allowing water to escape, a common fault.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Water meter’ is closed to new replies.