Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Watching the IOM TT live?
  • ell_tell
    Free Member

It was my Dads 80th late last year, so I’ve been thinking of something nice we can do together as a bit of a present from me.

He’s always enjoyed watching the motorbikes (BSB, WSB, Moto GP etc) on telly and we went to Silverstone years ago to watch the BSB so I had entertained going to the IOM, either that or watching Utd at Old Trafford (he’s a Utd fan too).

I’m now having second thoughts about the IOM though as he’s 80 so I don’t think he’d be up for traipsing around the island or standing in the rain for hours on end.

However, I’ve never been to watch the TT so wondered if anyone here has been that can advise on the logistics of heading over there and whether it’d be suitable for an 80 yr old Dad that isn’t hugely outdoors orientated?

TIA 🙂

Shred
    Free Member

You could just get tickets for the grand stand and watch from there. That means parking, seats and being able to walk around at look at all the team tents, plus it is in Douglas.
    But, getting accommodation might be difficult as it fill up very quickly.

weeksy

Head to Creg-Ny-Ba and he can sit and drink beers all day in the warmth 🙂

alanf
    Free Member

If you’re planning on taking a vehicle have a look to see if there are any spaces on the ferries. They fill up very quickly. You might be able to get a spare if any become available. Then accommodation is similar, so check that out too. When the racing is on the roads are closed most of the day so you need to get where you are going early and then be prepared to stay put, as it’s not straight forward to move from some places when you get there. As said above the grandstand would be a good place to watch from, there are better places to watch from but maybe not suitable for an 80 year old hiking around and jumping walls/ fences etc. I’m sure if you go though he’ll love it. It’s an experience everyone who like motorbikes/racing should have.

jota180
    Free Member

Easy enough to get on as as foot passenger most days though race week, the roads are of course closed but if you stick to the outside of the circuit near the junctions, it’s easy enough to get around with a vehicle.

Quarter Bridge would be my choice as a foot passenger with an old boy in tow, easy to get a taxi to, pretty good view of the circuit and a great big pub to take a rest in if needed. Loads of other places back towards Douglas too.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

If you’re taking a vehicle ypuve probably left it a bit late to book for this year. You might get a crossing at some silly time like 3am though. 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

That said, just go. Do it. You’ll never regret it. I promise.

jota180
    Free Member

Another tip
    Pay the £16 – or whatever it is – for a lounge seat on the boat, it’s quiet, comfortable and all the tea and coffee you need

Andy-R

A pity I won’t be here or you’d have been more than welcome to come and watch from our house – probably the best view of Ballaugh Bridge going.

chunkyktr
    Free Member

We (me and my brothers) took our mam over for the TT in 2011. She was 77yo at the time, OK on her feet for her age over short distance.

My mam and I flew over while my brothers went over in car. This was by far the best option for mam – to the airport-quick jump over-picked up by brothers in car at IOM.

The logistics and your be-prepared-ness are the key here. Also knowledge of the IOM would help.

She had a great time

ell_tell
    Free Member

Sorry for the late reply and cheers all for the responses.

Really I should have booked something earlier but had a manically busy year last year. But if I don’t manage to get something sorted this year then it definitely sounds like a doable trip in future.

jota180
    Free Member

They open up the ferry booking at the beginning of May the year before
    So they should do it again May 2015 for June 2016.
    They sell out for the popular dates quickly so call the Steam Packet in April and ask them what date TT 2016 goes live.

supernovadarren
    Free Member

If the TT is full up why not take him to the Manx GP/Classic TT in Late August ferries still available I think. and not as busy as the TT but you still get the stars there just on older bikes (60’s 70s & 80s). Speeds still in excess of 120 mph laps. As previous posters have said The Grandstand or The Creg would be your best bet for seated viewing.

hairybiker84
    Free Member

I’ve been to to the TT and the Manx a couple of times each and it can be a right pain with all the waiting around – if you’re particularly unlucky with the weather you may not see anything at all as the racing may be postponed until the following day.
    Have you thought about the Irish road races? Far more to see in my opinion, multi-lap races and a full programme for the day. Grandstand seats for the Ulster or NW200 would be a good choice. More chance of seeing something if it’s raining too as they will usually run some of the programme if it’s raining provided there’s no standing water. Plenty of travel options too, even better they don’t involve the ‘steam racket’!

Orange-Crush
    Free Member

You’ll find that hotels offer deals to include the ferry so should be able to get one of those still. It is possible to bus and tram it round (you’ve no chance of getting a hire car) some of the island. You can get the railway up to the Bungalow from Laxey which is reached from Douglas by tram. Three of us stayed with a family many years ago (this option may still be worked by the Tourist Board) and they loaned us a car.

mark88

It’s certainly do able and flights are still reasonable at the moment.
    As mentioned above, the Classic TT/ Manx GP may be more to your liking. Not as busy but still plenty going on and competitive racing.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Watching the IOM TT live?’ is closed to new replies.