Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Watching Avatar with Epilepsy
  • jbig
    Free Member

I really want to see Avatar but I am epileptic. I know I have slight photo-sensitivity but I don't know if this new type of 3D could affect me.

Has anybody heard of anyone having seizures, or do you think the company wouldn't be stupid enough to develop a new technology that would cause them?

Drac

do you think the company wouldn't be stupid enough to develop a new technology that would cause them?

Flashing lights have been around along time.

bassspine
    Free Member

I've been to several 3d films recently, and you can bet your corporate-litigation-culture-dollar that if they thought there was any risk there would be huge warning notices all over the cinema, which I haven't spotted.

jbig
    Free Member

Very true

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

When I was diagnosed with epilepsey (secondary to a brain tumour) last year I discussed this issue with my neurologist. He felt that the issue of photo-sensitivity is somewhat over-rated, and told me what films he&7 his sones had been to see recently, and which he enjoyed. Really wierd as he looks a lot like Monty Burns from the Simpsons, but character wise he is a brilliant guy.

fennesz
    Free Member

Not only that, but you might want to give the movie a miss coz it's been written by one of my 5 year old twins. The other one did the creature design. Luckily, my 11 year-old did the spaceship design, so a bit better.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

It was a bit long winded, I liked the SFX, but the story was too prolonged with the luvvyy duvvyy kind of stuff. Agree the aircraft design was good, looked like some of the designs from Aliens, did James Cameron have involvement with that as well?

aP
    Free Member

From what I could see its done with polarising filters, so its just two films projected at a screen out of sync. Do ordinary films give you fits?

nonk
    Free Member

well chap i am epileptic (peti mal) and never gave it a thought untill now.it was fine for me.get yerself in to see it.

grantway
    Free Member

Great cant wait wheres this showing What a Night that il be :mrgreen:

Drac

Peti Mal, so it's entirely possible you may have had the odd one and been none the wiser. 😆

nuke

I had epilepsy but wasn't very photo sensitive unlike my brother: he was told to cover one eye or wear an eye patch when a prog had flashing lights or was flickering a lot. Even use to have to cover one eye when my parents would take us out driving on a sunny day when the light would flicker through the trees.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Mate has a very weak right eye. He got a headache.

Olly
    Free Member

top tip: fiddle with the glasses
    the glasses are 80p, they are NOT high quality bits of kit, and while they still work, they can be improved greatly by moving them around.

for example, tilting the glasses forward, brings the "vanes" of the horizontal polarisation closer together.

i spent the "lovey duvey" bits of the film, fiddling with the glasses while watching. (putting them on upside down turns the 3Dness inside out)

ANYHOO, i found the best position for MY glasses, was tilted forward, with the ear-arms clamped about an inch above where they should be, and rotated left slightly, as we were sitting on the left side)

did seem to make a fair difference to me (though i may have been imagining it)

not the strongest film out there, but i liked the "hardware" bits (guns and helicopters) and also loved the creature design 🙂

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

if they thought there was any risk there would be huge warning notices

Yep…….saw a Tom and Jerry cartoon this morning and was rather surprised to see that MGM had placed a "flashing lights warning" at the start of it.

BTW, do you have a problem if riding fast through single track on a bright sunny day ?
    Sometimes does my head in – and I don't even suffer from epilepsy 😐

Drac

Best place I found for the glasses was just slipping them on, it worked perfect.

nonk
    Free Member

😯
    oh yeah good point drac.
    mind you i do tend to club folks with my left arm and the bloke sat next to me said nowt.

Drac

Maybe he was unconscious. 😯

grantway
    Free Member

Just seen the overated Film Dont be sucked in

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Watching Avatar with Epilepsy’ is closed to new replies.