• This topic has 62 replies, 37 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Bing.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • watches, why the left wrist?
  • rOcKeTdOg

Why is it conventional to wear a watch on the left wrist?

AndyP
    Free Member

because then it feels like someone else is wearing the watch

geetee1972
    Free Member

Have you ever tried to w**k with a watch on your right hand?

Olly
    Free Member

to set the time with your dominant hand (right)

toomanybikes
    Free Member

'cos it's the manly thing to do

finbar
    Free Member

Because if you're right handed you'll be less likely to hammer the watch on stuff if its on the left?

jahwomble
    Free Member

I reckon cos you'd get annoyed with it on y' right hand if y' right handed, much less nuisance on your less dominant and less used hand(for stuff requiring fine motor control anyway) , just a guess

SidewaysTim

It's like ear rings – wearing it on the right is advertising that you're gay.

sofatester
    Free Member

It's like ear rings – wearing it on the right is advertising that you're gay.

I thought any man wearing an ear ring was advertising he way gay?

therealhoops
    Free Member

I'm a righty but I'm not gay……..

……most of the time

woody2000

Cos you put the watch on with your "best hand", mines on my right wrist (thanks Tim) because I'm left handed.

sofatester
    Free Member

Apart from therealhoops of course! 😉

SidewaysTim

It's the same with brakes. Right hand rear, means you're queer.

Please note, I have nothing against the gays. I'm just observant.

glenh
    Free Member

I'm right handed and have my watch on the right.

Maybe that's why all the girls ignore me?

Dino
    Free Member

Hmm I am left handed and wear on the left? 🙄

Stoner
    Free Member

try winding a watch with your left hand when its on your right wrist…

AndyP
    Free Member

Right hand rear, means you're queer.
    precisely
    like '29er? chutney miner.'

try winding a watch with your left hand when its on your right wrist…
    try winding a watch with your right hand when its on your right wrist.

cheers_drive

What jahwomble said.
    What I don't get is those people who wear the watch face on the inside of their wrists, it's just wrong.

woody2000

I bought some brakes off SW Tim once, I'm sure they were the wrong way round 🙂

mugsys_m8

wear it on right if a lefty, and on the left if a righty, otherwise amongst other things can make hand writing difficult

nickc

In days gone by watches were wound up, most people are right handed, and so the winder was located for ease of use. If you put that watch on the right hand, it's pretty hard to wind it up…I wear my watch on my right hand. I'm not gay, although I do look good in fishnets, if that helps

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Have you ever tried to w**k with a watch on your right hand?

It's rubbish. You can't time yourself.

AndyP
    Free Member

if you have one of those kinetic watches though, having a w*nk helps to wind it.

therealhoops
    Free Member

My watch is dual powered (solar/battery). Am I a lesbian?

mefty
    Free Member

Try doing up the strap with your wrong hand.

SidewaysTim

I bought some brakes off SW Tim once, I'm sure they were the wrong way round

Why do you think I sold them? Or did I set them up like that? Suits you, Sir!

AndyP
    Free Member

Try doing up the strap with your wrong hand.
    is that aimed at therealhoops given their recent query?

snowslave

I'm ambidextrous so I nail watches to my forehead and carry a mirror

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

on the right for me. I'm a lefty.

Stoner
    Free Member

I thought it had something to do with having your sword in a sheath on your left, so you ride your horse on the left so that you can attack on your right and tell the time while you're duelling with your foe and riding on the left hand side.

The French however, because they weren't into duelling and time-keeping, obviously drive on the right instead.

schnullelieber
    Free Member

So you don't spill your tea when you look at the time.

feenster
    Free Member

When I have something to remember I put my watch on the other wrist. The unfamiliar feeling keeps me mindful of the fact that I have to remember something. Always works, but I daren't over use it.

anokdale
    Free Member

What are you if you wear a pocket watch, i suspect according to this thread it means you like your bread buttered on both sides or bowl from the pavillion end as some would like to refer that particular genre.

I wear a G shock on my left hand FWIW.

Stoner
    Free Member

When I have something to remember I leave a shoe in the doorway of my study.
    Or I hang my belt off the bedroom door handle.
    Or I put my mobile in my shoe

I don't wear a watch so I have to improvise 😉

Dino
    Free Member

I usually win at drinking games with that one being a lefty.
    I also swap hands if someone asks me the time, then I loose the drinking game?

AndyP
    Free Member

Or I hang my belt off the bedroom door handle.
    you mean hang yourself by your belt from the bathroom coathook, whilst furiously winding your kinetic watch? I know your type.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I thought it had something to do with having your sword in a sheath on your left, so you ride your horse on the left so that you can attack on your right and tell the time while you're duelling with your foe and riding on the left hand side.

And why you always walk on the right of your lady friend holding her hand with your left – so you can pull out your sword easily.

Go on then – I have set that up for a punchline 😉

juan
    Free Member

It's the same with brakes. Right hand rear, means you're queer.

Or continental/american (but I concur it makes more sense if you are right handed to have it british way) 😉

The French however, because they weren't into duelling and time-keeping, obviously drive on the right instead.

Stoner in fail again. French use to horse ride on the ride. Until Napoléon decided that people on his empire would drive/ride on the opposite of the British. And so did everyone else who wanted to upset the British Empire.

As said above, it's easier to put on/set up and you are less likely to damage it. As for wearing it the other way round (facing down), I found it less painful on the bike and I tend not to scratch it/damage it too.
    Mind you, since my watch died I have solved the problem.

SidewaysTim

Or continental/american

Like I said 😉

rOcKeTdOg

Surely watches were invented long after a gentleman went out wearing a sword?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘watches, why the left wrist?’ is closed to new replies.