Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Watch for upcoming 40year old
  • Dolcered

hello STW crew,
    Im thinking about getting him indoors (aye right) a nice watch for his upcomng 40th, ive read loads of threads on here though most suggestions are outwith my budget. I’ve seen two i like, as you are mostly men, what one would you prefer that wont require me to sell a kidney…………

watch 1

watch 2

cheers

mikertroid
    Free Member

A lovely idea!

Personally I prefer simple watches, with a utility feel, so something like this would be more preferable:

Wenger Watch

You need to prime a mate and get him to subtly ask over a beer or two as to what kind of watches he prefers. Maybe his mate can pretend to have a similar budget…..?

duntstick
    Free Member

mikertroid+1

I prefer a watch you can tell the time with at a glance. That Wenger looks good.

CHB
    CHB
    Dolcered

Thanks for the suggestions, i’m drawn to the skeleton watches, but i see what you mean about not being able to see the time……….
    watches are for posing no!??

Ideally I would get a mate involved but he’s in canada for 2 months with work, actually he’ll turn 40 when hes over there, I won’t be able to subtly find out.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

For a 40th you want something that won’t date, a timeless style. The skeleton ones look a bit novelty to me. I would much prefer the Wenger.

Ohh, and get the back engraved if you can 😉

mikertroid
    Free Member

Watches that look like they’re designed to last are key. Simple is best.

Don’t go for one YOU like, it’ll only end in an uncomfortable moment!!

wait4me

+1 on Christopher Ward

[/url]

Got one of these and they’re a beautiful watch, and a bargain at that price.

ski
    Free Member

Out of the two you mentioned I prefer the first one.

But to be frank, that Christopher Ward one looks great to me.

trailmonkey

whatever the style of watch, go for sapphire crystal glass and in 10 years time, you’ll still be able to see what style of watch it is 8)

Dolcered

thanks all
    i vaguely remember him telling me that he had been given a knock off patek philippe skeleton watch, he’s not getting a real one of them! thats why I quite liked the them.

i do like that christopher ward one…..

decisions decisions.

Edric64
    Free Member

The Wenger looks good .The two you like look like your best going out watch rather than for everyday use

stealthcat

I can’t check the links to the Christopher Ward watches, but be aware that they don’t expect the silicon straps to last more than about 18 months, and new straps cost £30+ every couple of years…

CHB

Think this one wins for me today:

http://www.christopherward.co.uk/review/product/list/id/32/category/270/

(Self confessed CW fan…have bought 3 this year since discovering them).

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Yeah I like that one too – a nice compromise between skeleton and classic style.

Woody
    Free Member

As said above, watches are a very personal thing and I’d be very worried about buying something he wouldn’t like. A Patek Philippe skeleton (even a copy) is a very different object to a Rotary.

At that sort of budget it will be difficult to find a good mechanical/auto watch but the Christopher Ward ones look like good value. Have a scroll down to PRS-5 which has the skeleton back as a compromise 😉

druidh
    Free Member

Are you even sure he’d like a watch? I haven’t worn one in over a decade and I’m 52 🙂

Dolcered

ha, good point.
    im sure he will like a watch, its not something he would buy himself, so thats why i want a nice decent keepsake. Which i might get engraved, but then that makes it definitely non-returnable.

hes also getting a telly, he should be happy enough 🙂
    the first plan was to take him on a weekend break to Ny or something, but with him being out in canada thats been sidelined.

The suggestions are all good, i like CW with the black face. Its good to get alternative male points of view.

BigJohn

£160 is an awkward amount to spend on a watch. It’s never going to be a classic heirloom, and it costs 8 times what a perfectly reliable and good looking Timex or Casio does.

If you want to make him happy, spend it on expensive underwear (for you, naturally).

ransos
    Free Member

A jeweller near me is selling vintage Omega watches (1950s) from about £300. Ok, so that’s twice the budget, but a fraction of the new price, and they look far more elegant to me. Worth saving up for, IMO.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

£160 is an awkward amount to spend on a watch. It’s never going to be a classic heirloom, and it costs 8 times what a perfectly reliable and good looking Timex or Casio does.

There is a point to be made there. I wouldn’t spend that amount on a watch (I flit between no watch and cheapo rubbish) but I am seriously considering spending £2,500 on a Tag which would be a lifetime forever watch that would be passed on to family when I kark it.

jp-t853

I was going to recommend vintage also.

Here is an Omega.

Tissot, Enicar, Favre Leuba are worth a look. It is important to check case size on vintage watches as they can appear small compared to modern trends if you are not careful. Also consider if you would be happy with a manual wind as the link above or wether automatic would be best.

BigJohn

I have 2 watches – one which is the same age as me, which I’m wearing now, and it’s the only inanimate object I have any real sentimentality for – and a £20 Timex.

I was going to get a £10 Casio, which I prefer, but I can’t tell the time on a digital without my glasses.

Dolcered

i see what you are saying, which is why sale stuff is key!
    i dont think he would be interested in a watch at 2k, or near that tbh, but i think he would be happy with a decentish keepsake to mark the event(and his telly)

the undie suggestion has merit!!
    personally im happy with my 60 quid animal watch that i bought with my first uni grant check in 1996. Been through more straps than triggers brush had handles, scratched to bits but has travelled with world with me and will do always 😀

dti

seiko divers mechanical – will last forever

Woody
    Free Member

I am seriously considering spending £2,500 on a Tag which would be a lifetime forever watch

Wouldn’t be my first choice for an ‘heirloom’ but each to their own.

Which model?

Sorry just being nosey 8)

dazzlingboy

seiko divers mechanical

+1 – or a Citizen – eg Linky

IMO the Ward watches are all copies of much more expensive watches. The beauty of a Seiko or a Citizen is that they are not trying to be something they are not, while at the same time being suitable for proper outdoor use and looking good while dressed up too. Will last forever.

Not my main watch, but I do have one of these and love it.

Another Link

fivespot
    Free Member

Seiko Kinetic…the one on my wrist right now is 20 years old, no battery’s or service in that time, and even the strap is original 😉

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Victorinox had some nice at a good price

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

but I am seriously considering spending £2,500 on a Tag

do some more research – Tags are overpriced and often very ordinary inside.

A SS Rolex Sub. would be better, or an Omega Speedy as long as it has manual Lemenia type movement.

Swiftacular
    Free Member

I have 2 tags, and like they said, probably overpriced, but I love them. Don’t think I’ll be buying another any time soon though 😉
    Both grand carreras, although different models, for the record

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I nearly bought a Carrera as the wife liked it, but the movement inside was well basic for the price. Prob only matters if you were to go to a horology meet and have them all laugh at you with a Tag on your wrist.

They also had the reissue Carrera – the copy of the original Heuer one, but she wouldn’t let me have that as it was too small!

Swiftacular
    Free Member

I know nothing of these things, I’m a pure aesthetics man 😉

Clobber
    Free Member

You can see the movement in the back of the CW ones you are looking at.. I really like mine if thats any use.

Bregante

. Prob only matters if you were to go to a horology meet

You have no idea how unlikely the possibility of that occuring is in my case.

donsimon
    Free Member

I am seriously considering spending £2,500 on a Tag which would be a lifetime forever watch

I was told by a student who was a PA that her boss had the same Tag as me. I doubted this very much, but she reasurred me it was true.
    Her boss, Spanish president of LVMH, my supplier some dude in a bar in Malaga.
    For the OP, fly to Malaga, buy a cheapie, have a holiday and don’t worry about pretence.

GJP
    Free Member

I bought myself this at the weekend. In real life it is a stunner and my third seiko watch purchase in as many months. All in all seiko make some very nice and affordable, in relative terms, watches

Seiko Kinetic

mikertroid
    Free Member

Yes a Seiko or Citizen Automatic divers would be a legendary choice. I’d go for Auto over Kinetic, however my Seiko Kinetic has been faultless. It’s just I prefer the auto sweep of my automatic.

Slightly above budget but a great watch:

G-Shock

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Watch for upcoming 40year old’ is closed to new replies.