• This topic has 36 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Pogo.
Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Watch aficionados
  • bellerophon
    Free Member

Ever since visiting the Patek Philippe watch museum in Geneva, which ignited an interest in watches, I’ve been resisting the urge to look too seriously at buying watches as a hobby, as I can see it would lead to an addiction of immense proportions.

Anyway, yesterday, whilst browsing the shops, this watch caught my eye http://www.hsamuel.co.uk/webstore/d/8436754/rotary+men%27s+chronograph+black+leather+strap+watch/ both in terms of looks and price. Well, my wife, has suggested I get it for xmas – result. But then doing my usual thing, rather than just buying it I’ve had a look around and this has opened up a bit of dilemma, which is what watch should I buy?

In my trawling I’ve come across this site and watch http://www.wernersflyingwatches.com/products.asp?ProID=229 which I quite like, then I found http://www.christopherward.co.uk/chronographs.html which look like affordable swiss watches, but a bit over budget…

So with a budget of say £150 max and looking for a chronograph style watch can the watch aficionados give me some ideas..?

bellerophon
    Free Member

anyone??

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

I love those Christopher Ward watches, especially the chronos. Stunning looking watches at a pretty reasonable price, good reputation too.

I nearly bought one earlier in the year, but decided I couldn’t really justify £800 at the time. I ended up buying a Luminox Field Chrono instead…very pleased with it, solid, good looking and a super comfortable leather strap….oh, and the gimmick is that the hour/minute hands and hour markers contain mini capsules filled with a luminous gas. Which is nice.

The Rotary watch you link to at the top looks handsome, good price too.

LeeW

I’m getting rid of one of these for £120 if you’re interested.Tissot clicky I bought earlier this year and never took it out of the box, I’ve genuinely never worn it, except when I tried it on in the shop.

bellerophon
    Free Member

Hey, that Luminox looks nice, a bit out of the price range at the moment. I’m just wondering if I can can get away with this Christopher Ward I mean it’s almost £150 😉

trailmonkey

personally i’d bite leew’s hand off. you’re not going to get more watch for your money than that tissot for £120.

sapphire crystal glass so you can wear it on the bike without it getting scratched too, bargain.

joolsburger
    Free Member
    bellerophon
    Free Member

I’m getting rid of one of these for £120 if you’re interested.Tissot clicky I bought earlier this year and never took it out of the box, I’ve genuinely never worn it, except when I tried it on in the shop.

Hmm, you’ve got me thinking… especially when…

personally i’d bite leew’s hand off. you’re not going to get more watch for your money than that tissot for £120

someone, well two counting JoB, says that, and I am really interested..

but can I ask just one question? see in that piccie you linked to (same as the one on the tissot site) does the minute hand line up with the minute markers in real life or is it like in the picture? am I being too picky?

Like I said I am really interested in the watch..

tonyplym
    Free Member

Happy with my Citizen AT0660-05F – can be got for around £160 – titanium case and 200m water resistant. Keeps excellent time and will never need a new battery.

cynic-al
    Free Member

JoB has been spotted alive?

Go vintage!

Kato

I like that automatic C5 Aviator. Never heard of Christopher Ward before but that looks like an ace watch for £225!

jamesca
    Free Member

i have 2 CW watches, the speedhawk and the pilots mk2, i can’t remember the numbers without going on the site.

anyway the quality is really very very good and they look even better in the flesh then on their website

bellerophon
    Free Member

but can I ask just one question? see in that piccie you linked to (same as the one on the tissot site) does the minute hand line up with the minute markers in real life or is it like in the picture? am I being too picky?

I think I was being thick asking this question, as of course the hands will line up when the second hand gets to the top – doh!! no offence intended.

Mind if I drop you an email?

LeeW

No problem, sorry for the delay in replying for some unknown reason I can’t log in at work. If you want photographs let me know and I’ll send some through.

bellerophon
    Free Member

No problem, sorry for the delay in replying for some unknown reason I can’t log in at work. If you want photographs let me know and I’ll send some through

Hi Lee,

Would love some photos, if I email the address in your profile would you be able to reply with photos attached, got a couple of questions as well.

Cheers,

LeeW

Yep no problem, I’ll reply when I’m at work in the morning.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Choose the one you like the look of best. They will all last a lifetime if you look after them.

BoardinBob

Some crackers on that Werners site and very well priced

bellerophon
    Free Member

Choose the one you like the look of best. They will all last a lifetime if you look after them

Really liking the Tissot, have said that, I like quite a number on the werner’s site.

Some crackers on that Werners site and very well priced

They are good aren’t they? I have a feeling I have just started another pricey hobby 🙄

BoardinBob

They are good aren’t they? I have a feeling I have just started another pricey hobby

Yes, loving this one

unovolo
    Free Member

Slightly over your budget but if your want a real quality English made watch then take a look at the Precista PRS 5 on Timefactors

TIMEFACTORS

I have the PRS18 amongst others and its really well crafted ,weighty and just feels quality however YOUR NO PAYING for a big brand name.
    The PRS18 below

raddaz
    Free Member

another vote for the timefactors precista range
    here’s my prs-17-c

precista – prs-17-c on Flickr

bellerophon
    Free Member

Hey, those precista’s look interesting, just out of the price range at the moment, need to start gently 😉

Kato

15% off everything at CW at the mo. Ends at midnight

Kato

Well, I bought it. Couldn’t help myself

bellerophon
    Free Member

Well, I bought it. Couldn’t help myself

Excellent, is this what happens with a ‘watch habit’?

Kato

Certainly is mate, especially if it’s an affordable one! I’d promised the missus I wouldnt buy another one too!

Oops

Looksy, ta da!

joolsburger
    Free Member

Just got this myself no idea why I have enough watches but I just like it
    http://www.wernersflyingwatches.com/products.asp?ProID=246

Kato

I like that joolsburger

showerman
    Free Member

like this myself http://www.pointtec.de/zeppelin/7330-1/#/zeppelin/hoehenmesser/ santa may bring it in his swag bag

bellerophon
    Free Member

Good effort Joolsburger, looks great and at just £97!!

like this myself http://www.pointtec.de/zeppelin/7330-1/#/zeppelin/hoehenmesser/ santa may bring it in his swag bag

Showerman, those look great, thankfully more than I want to spend at this stage 😉

CountZero

Those Precista watches are lovely. Oh dear…

bellerophon
    Free Member

Hi Kato,

Have you received your CW watch yet? What’s it like in the flesh so to speak?

Cheers,

Kato

Yes yes, it arrived but it’s a bit small for me as I’ve big hands! The case is an okay size but the strap is a bit too narrow for me. Beautiful watch though, I highly recommend them and their customer service is excellent. I’ve returned it for an exchange for a bigger watch. Gone for a C8 Pilot with a 44mm case rather than a 38mm one.

bellerophon
    Free Member

😆 Kato – exchange the watch and get an upgrade as well, I like your style….

I have read about their service, sounds like one to keep an eye on

hora
    Free Member

Second luminox. A few momentum diving watches are good and very strong having fallen onrto rocks twice wirth mine!

Pogo
    Free Member
Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Watch aficionados’ is closed to new replies.