• This topic has 39 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by b17.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Wasps' (?) nest in ceiling void: Should I PANIC?
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

Found this as I started to batter down an old ceiling. I’ve not been eaten alive by wasps, so there’s nothing in it, right?

Is my logic flawed?…What could possibly go wrong?

IMAG0814.jpg by alan cole, on Flickr

bigG
    Free Member

Diesel, old sack and a box of matches will sort that, job done. Any other solution and it’s only a matter of time before they eat you in your sleep.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I like your style.

I also like my house in an un-burnt-down state.

Markie
    Free Member

There will be no wasps in it, and wasps don’t reuse nests. No problem, says a vaguely anonymous poster on an Internet forum!

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Both me and my neighbour had one in exactly the same sort of place late this summer; bloke from thweb came round and dealt with it for £30; they’ll be hibernating now but get it done asit will be active again

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Bloke who sorted ours said opposite to Markie, someone correct will appear soon

gusamc
    Free Member

get a proper wasp spray/dust
    spray/dust, run away
    return at least 24hrs later with a bin liner and short handled shovel
    dispose
    find hole they got in, fix

cynic-al
    Free Member

According to the internet, only the queen will be alive – and asleep.

I reckon I can take her, I have a can of Raid and a lighter.

gusamc
    Free Member

blimey, that means it’s a queen that’s wrapped round my windscreen wipers, should I tell the palace ?

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

She might be like the queen of the damned, take care

TexWade
    Free Member

There’s only one option – nuke it from space.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Any disposal method has to involve fire, otherwise its not job done properly and they’ll come back.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

PANIC-AL

😀

ratcatcher

Most nests are dead or in the last throws now, nests are not reused but a new one may be built next to it in the spring advice is use a panel saw to remove it and offer it to a primary school if you`ve wee ones.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

offer it to a primary school if you`ve wee ones

And what if there’s loads of nasty mutant face-stinging wasp larvae nestling inside, just waiting to hatch when a suitable victim is in close proximity?

Hmm?

You jolly well have not thought this through propperly, have you? 😐

cynic-al
    Free Member

OK am gonna poke it wiv a big stick*

WISH ME LUCK. If I die, my bikes are bequeathed to teh Heath Robinson Intitue.

(*GF gonna poke it wiv a big stick while I hide behind door*)

MSP

Look at the cobwebs!

Its a trap, the spiders have already eaten the wasps and when your poking the nest with a stick will be sneaking up behind you.

MrNutt
    Free Member

because, that looks to me like the nest of the Macedonian Fighting Wasp, can you hear any whistling?

zippykona

Pay a man to sort it.
    I had a go ,let’s just say ladder lots of wasps
    And lots of physio on my now buggered knee.

pitduck
    Free Member

is this really cynic-al not knowing something,are we in an alternate reality 😯

smell_it
    Free Member

Attack it with a stick, wearing only your pants and the wife’s lippy to a heavy metal soundtrack. Ideally loud enough to drown out the noise of a grown man screaming for help. If all goes well you will feel awesome, if not you could make a first responders day.

teasel
    Free Member

Wasps don’t like spiders anywhere near their nests so if the webs are reasonably fresh you have an old one, if not – toast it.

WTF
    Free Member

So where do wasps go in the winter ?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Barbados.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

We used to get at least one a year – in Nov its dead and now totally pointless destroying it now, ime.

They do however know your roof space and will return, and build a new one on the opposite side (or somewhere more annoying) next year. The trick is to kill them when active – there’s a can of foamy stuff from diy stores that works well IF you can get access under the tiles. But in reality it only works when active.

Otherwise – leave them alone – they have one mega benefit – they eat midges (apparently?).

sharki
    Free Member

As said, chop it down and give it too a school.

Such intricate structures, something that any designer or architect would appreciate and marvel in it’s prefect form.
    All those arcing strips are chewed wood, mixed with wasp saliva and plastered on to form a nest.

The Queen will be hibernating, possibly under one of your roof tiles. She’ll come out in the spring and begin to build her nest, just a small one at first, she’ll then lay her first load of eggs, once they hatched and turned into adults, the females will build the nest bigger and bigger into what you have there, maybe bigger.

You’ll be fine!

Markie
    Free Member

Such intricate structures, something that any designer or architect would appreciate and marvel in it’s prefect form.

So true! They come up on eBay from time to time, but shipping is always brutal. Been looking for one round here for an age, but only tend to find them after they’ve been ruined by either the weather (autumn/winter) or badgers (summer/autumn). Would love a nice example!

sharki
    Free Member

I’ve never thought of trying to sell them, used to come across loads when i was full time in building and house renovating.
    I can certainly see the appeal of having one(dormant) but how to safely package it, gawd knows, the insides are pretty stable, but the outer is so fragile.

Hmmmm!

v8ninety

This thread is useless without updates!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Jeez. 5 hrs in A&E. GF not happy and even less impressed 🙁

mintimperial

We had a few in our last house, the biggest one was about two and a half feet wide, too big to get out of the roof space without knocking a hole in the ceiling. It’s probably still there.

That pic was taken mid-November, just before we got it checked out. The guy we got in said it was the biggest nest he’d ever seen. According to him wasps nests are invariably empty by this point in the year, and they don’t get reused. He also said that they send out multiple young queens to hibernate over winter, and that it was advisable to get the place gassed to get rid of them to avoid getting more nests next year. But then he would say that as he wanted us to pay him some money.

Anyway, he nuked the roof space with some horrible gas blower thing and all the massive spiders up there fell off the rafters and lay around waggling their legs for days. I felt quite bad about it. 🙁

v8ninety

Jeez. 5 hrs in A&E. GF not happy and even less impressed

Really?!? Then more detail is required. c’mon, spill…

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

that looks to me like the nest of the Macedonian Fighting Wasp

You complete idiot, there’s no such thing as a Macedonian fighting Wasp. Any fool can see that it’s the nest of the Bulgar Wheat Wasp.

😐

cynic-al
    Free Member

v8ninety – Member
    Really?!? Then more detail is required. c’mon, spill…

Heh, I was only kidding. The nest turned to dust as I smashed it wiv a bit of wood. I am still alive and unstung, as is the GF.

v8ninety

Jolly good, well done. You do realise though that there are probably several of these hibernating in the darker recesses of your loft, biding their time ready to wreak vengence…

Good luck!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

The nest turned to dust as I smashed it wiv a bit of wood

Oh Al you cooduv sold it to Markie! 🙁 So violent.

Sharki’s right; that produced by nature surpasses almost all of Mankind’s achievements.

Markie
    Free Member

Oh Al you cooduv sold it to Markie!

It’s true. Or swapped it for bike bits, of which I have too many. Apparently. I blame myself, I should have made my desire more clear!

allthepies
    Free Member

Destroyed their nest ? Now they’ll be very angry.

stumpy01

I found a teeny bit of wasp nest honeycomb in my loft recently. Only about the size of my hand.

I managed to get it down out of the loft relatively undamaged – it is amazingly fragile.

I am saving it to take some pics of, at some point!

b17
    Free Member

little wasp nest from our shed. had to snatch it from under a single wasp working on it. probably the queen getting started I suppose.

wasp nest 1 by Geoff Warnock, on Flickr

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Wasps' (?) nest in ceiling void: Should I PANIC?’ is closed to new replies.