• This topic has 25 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by dobo.
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Wasps
  • Pigface
    Free Member

Is it my imagination or are they tetchy this year?

thomthumb
    Free Member

wasps or WASPs?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Well, Cipriani's totally overrated, and ever since Larry Dayglo and his Massive Ego retired, they've never really been the same.

Pigface
    Free Member

Yes Captain but may sneak into Europe

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

White Anglo-Saxon Protestant ?

Ask Tankslapper …..

singletrackmind

Yes . I am currently on Anti Biotics and steroids following a sting on Saturday afternoon.
    Got stung on the inner wrist whilst out shopping on Saturday afto. Went straight into Boots and picked up some Piriton and Anthisan .Took 2 Piriton and did a proper job on it with the Anthisan. In an hour so it had stopped hurting and there was just a small bump and red ring round the sting area.
    Sunday morning it had swelled up and was all itchy and scratchy so more Piriton and Anthisan. It was nice and red and warming up nicely. Couple of hours on the bike and it was swelling up hourly so more Anthisan and wwent home to stick an ice pack on it.
    Monday busy busy day at work , so worked 7-4 then nipped to the chemists.
    Its now almost wrist to elbow , hot and swollen. OOhh is it a burn ?? asks the chemist, nope wasp sting on saturday, OK what have you taken?? Lots of Piriton and anthisan. Right , nothing we can you you need steroids.
    Whizz down to my Gp and get a last knockings appt at 7pm. Receptionist did not want to give me an appointment, They alwasy do that, its normal…. Like hell, 8" of swollen bright red arm thats throbbing and warm.
    Doctor goes throught he ususal routine. Turns out the sting was probably infected with bacteria and gives me a prescription for Steroids and Antibiotics, 5 day course.
    Twas a little mofo as well. swelling almost gone, but still itchy.

Jamie
    Free Member

Not sure about tetchy but seems to be an awful lot about so far this year.

So summer consists of shit weather and more wasps.

Super!

Drac

Not seen many this and getting late now so they're a bit slow and not afraid to sting. On hotter days they'll zoom around not bothering you unless you upset them.

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

What Cnu* (me) cleaned and waxed the car Sunday, talk about tetchy wasps.
    They are addicted to car wax it seems. Buggers were all around me and the more I tried to refrain from doing the 'wasp' dance and looking a total nutter the more I felt that eventually I may get stung anyway. Glad to report that I remain unpunctured and no wasps were critically injured.

MikeT-23
    Free Member

Hate 'em

Shame they're not disappearing instead of the bees.

zaskar
    Free Member

Agree I ****' 8 wasps and ants.

CountZero

While out with some of the STW Massive last Sunday, I stopped briefly for a breather, thinking "damn, that's the problem with riding when it's hot; stop and the flies decend". Then I felt this horrible burning on my ankle, and there was a wasp stinging me. The buzzing was a bunch of really pished off wasps who had been disturbed by one of the other riders. I legged it, and the litte bu99er followed me and stung me just below the knee. Sod! Still a bit itchy, but not as bad as it could have been. First time since '97 I've been stung, so doing ok, really.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Hate 'em

Shame they're not disappearing instead of the bees.

Agreed. Wasps are the nasty selfish me-me-me Tories of the insect world, who believe there is no such thing as society.

Bees on the other hand, represent the happy hard-working and useful toiling classes of the insect world.
    And they have a great sense of community.

It didn't always used to be like that – I blame Thatcher.

…… God that woman's got a lot to answer for.

rowemasters
    Free Member

I managed to get one wedged under my helmet strap on a climb recently. Not sure of it's sting or me punching myself in the throat twice hurt more.

evil, stripey, buzzing, bad tempered, hate bombs.

PJ266
    Free Member

Stung for the first time last week 🙁 one hit me in the neck whilst going downhill and unbeknown to me fell down my jersey, stung right above the belly button. Not sure if it hurt more or less than i expected it to.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I was out cycling on saturday and I spotted one of the little blighters flying straight towards me.

It was heading for my mouth but I partially closed it, it ended up crashing into my front teeth and stinging me on the lip and then flew off.

I was on the North Face trail so the adrenaline was in full flow and i cycled on through the pain and got back home in one piece. Thankfully Im not allergic to the sting so my lip was swollen for a few hours and there was a slight amount of pain.

What a boring story

bawbag
    Free Member

One flew right down my throat last night when playing touch rugby. I was sprinting and shouting for the ball when I saw a flash and it hit the back of my throat which made me swallow as a reflex. Spent the next five minutes coughing on the sidelines but it didn't come back up. My throat did swell up a bit but not really enough to cause me discomfort which makes me wonder if it actually stung me.

I wouldn't recommend eating a wasp.

nuke

I loath wasps and, as much as I'm live-and-let-live with all other insects, its the one insect I would happily dispatch. One nightmare I use to have when young was I would have a wasp buzzing around my head and no matter how fast I ran it would always be there.

However, as much as I thought they were useless grumpy aggresive bastards, I have looked up previously what purpose they serve and it turns out they are very effective at controlling insect populations and therefore a natural pesticide. Still bastards.

lowey

Nazi's of the insect world. I hate em.

stumpy01

In the last week or two there seems to have been an influx of them our way. And they appear to want to fly into the house & then bash themselves stupid on the patio door before divebombing me.

Never (touch wood) been stung by one, but I don't like 'em one bit.
    Bees I don't mind though.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Is it an urban myth or did wasps teach us a thing or two about making paper from wood?

skidartist
    Free Member

Is it an urban myth or did wasps teach us a thing or two about making paper from wood?

No you're thinking about bees and french polish.

I can see why the wasps are so narked this year, they are victims of the recession. Last year driving around Glasgow you would see signs on lamp posts saying "Wasps Destroyed – £20". The suddenly this year "Wasps Destroyed – £25", a 25% increase in the bounty on their heads! Then this week in Rutherglen "Wasps Destroyed – £35". I mean theres no more graphic illustration of the climate of financial chaos the world has found itself in!

£35! Each!

I'm in the wrong business.

nuke

bees and french polish.

…and earwigs make chutney

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I wouldn't recommend eating a wasp.

As a young lad, I ate a crisp out of a packet that had a bloody wasp in it. Felt a sting, then crunch, then, hmm, that tastes funny, spit…squashed wasp flailing around on the floor, me with a fairly sore tongue running around like a lunatic thinking I was going to die…thankfully, I'm not allergic.

skidartist
    Free Member

.and earwigs make chutney

I thought that was ferrets.

dobo
    Free Member

i was stung the other day! way more pleasant than having ticks hanging from me and way less itchy that midge bites etc.
    just a minimal sharp pain, maybe i got a duff wasp as no real after effects at all.., it jabbed me twice the poor thing..

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Wasps’ is closed to new replies.