Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Wasp removal, Reading area. Any recommendations?
  • mtbfix

The blighters have taken up residence in the loft where I keep the spare tyres and won’t permit access. Much as it pains me, this nest has got to go. Has anyone nearish to Reading used a pest control service that they would recommend. Will try the council tomorrow but their guys won’t go above the gutters where the offending beasties are lurking.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Napalm

HeatherBash
    Free Member

Just buy that foam sh1t and get spraying – what’s the worst that can happen?

mtbfix

Napalm? I don’t have a suitable F4 from which to deliver it.

Foam stuff? Two cans of it have made no difference. Nor the powder that we put in the entrance.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I can help with the air power……. 🙂

warton
    Free Member

I heard a rumour that if you put a blown up paper bag in your loft wasps won’t nest, as they see the bag as a rival next and go elsewhere. not much use to you, but I thought I’d share!

Muke
    Free Member

wartons correct you need a Waspinator

alpin
    Free Member

Wasp removal, Reading area. Any recommendations?

ask the librarian…?

stuey
    Free Member

iirc Waspinators only fool them for a few hours.

<STW Panto mode>
    ” I say we take off and nuke the site from orbit- its the only way to be sure”

Ewan
    Free Member

Can’t you just hit it with a stick and close the loft hatch for a few days?

It’s just wasps, a couple of stings won’t hurt you even whilst you get rid of it. When my mum got them at her house, she’d just put some rubber gloves on get a bin bag, grab it into the bag tie a knot in it and stick it in the bin….

reynard
    Free Member

We get a lot of wasp nests in the roof void. Big pendant papery structures suspended off the rafters and the slates. They go to sleep or become very inactive at night, si if one is particularly problematic I just go up there late, and spray the nest for about a 30 second blast, then clear off. It may take a few shots over a few nights, but you’ll get them that way.
    Although some sprays have different effects,…like.. one spray makes them nervous, and one spray makes them small.

Seiously enough though, attack at night, late-ish. You’ve got a bit of time before they wake up, and if you can make a clean exit and seal the loft then just spray the hive, batter the thing open and retreat very quickly, perhaps spraying through the attic hatch before closing.

A few nights ago I shovelled a live nest out of a compost heap, so that I could get the compost the next morning. I didn’t hang around for long, but by the morning they’d cleared off elsewhere, except for a few lurkers.

wrightyson
    Free Member

**** all of the above!! They’re evil bastards and if the nests of a reasonable size they’ll have you!! Just get the yellow book and you’re wallet our!!!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

one spray makes them nervous, and one spray makes them small.

😆 Small?

Is there one to make the bastards friendly?

Mugboo

My mate recently had a wasps nest problem although they were using a hole in his pointing for entry/access. After being frightened off by the price of professional removal he bought a £2.99 spray from B&Q and waited till the evening before spraying.

There was no mass defensive attack by the wasps and no sign of them in the morning.

Good luck .

footstomper
    Free Member

An easy way we used a couple of times at work to get rid of the pesty blighters was Soaking a rag in Diesel putting in near the nest using a long stick and sit back and wait, they can’t put up with the Fumes and usually leave sharpish. 😀 Just don’t smoke whilst doing it 😳

Tim
    Free Member

nice thick waterproof jacket and trousers, duct tape anywehere they can get in

pair of boots – more duct tape

Marigolds – more duct tape.

Safety goggles over hood, more duct tape.

Breathing mask (the spray is evil anyway), more duct tape round the edges.

Wasp Destroyer spray

launch attack

worked here, minus the duct tape as it was only a wee nest 🙂

mtbfix

Might try a long stick and another can yet. Council will not get at the nest itself and looking at some of the pest services online the price may well exceed £50.

Ewan
    Free Member

I think people are just saying MTFU and let us see the pictures of the aftermath 😉

Hingy
    Free Member

I used Rentokil Wasp Nest Destroyer. I didn’t even need to use the whole can. Lots of corpses to clear up afterwards!!

Harry_the_Spider

Lots of corpses to clear up afterwards!!

Wasp corpses I assume.

catsplums
    Free Member

I had a nest in the ducting going out of the kitchen, I gave the nest a direct blast of the foam, seemed to cut through the nest like a knife so any sucker in there at made a move for me got a foam bath as well. I then ran out of talent and guts and made a run for it!!! no attackers followed as I fled like a big girl (they were probably a little surprised to see me leg it like a pansy!!). next day (I did go back home again but only checked the next day!!) next day all was quiet and no more wasp issue. job done 🙂

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Not Reading or anywhere close, but I called the council who sent someone round a few days later. Charged just over £50 for doing it and they were gone.

cranberry
    Free Member

Those calling for the use of airpower are overreacting, all you need is Davey Crockett:

NOTE: remember now, handle all nuclear warheads with care!

peterwp
    Free Member

http://www.littlegreenbook.co.uk/wokpest%20control.htm

Have had Roland round, very funny if you have a rodent problem. Had a nest in the eaves, wouldn’t catch me up a ladder trying to sort a nest out hence Get Someone In!

hilldodger
    Free Member
    CalamityJames
    Free Member

All this MTFU speak is scaring the life out of me!

Wasps are spiteful little fcukers at the best of times, even more so if you smash their nest up. God forbid you fell over running away from hitting it, the 3000? wasps would probably win and suddenly £50 seems like a better option…

mtbfix

I don’t know what their nest is made of but I have dumped a load of the foam on it and the next day it looks just like it always does. Calling the council shortly. Had to go up there to fetch some stuff last night. A dead wasp fell down my neck and a live one bounced past me as I went back down the ladder having acquired the stuff I was after at great personal risk from my loft’s answer to Death From Above.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Wasp removal, Reading area. Any recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.