Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Washing Up Bowl – yes or no?
  • HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Right, please help me settle this…

I’m firmly of the opinion that a washing up bowl is needed in the kitchen sink. Theres no “drainage” bit to the sink or anything like that, so the only way to wash up is to tediously empty/semi-clean everything BEFORE filling the sink, thus doubling the amount of effort required. Theres almost always some things that get forgotten, so then you have to empty the sink, tip bits of coffee etc down the plug and then fill it again, doubling the amount of effort once more!!! (4x effort needed now!!!). aragrhag!!!

Furthermore, the water comes splashing over the side, and with no gap to fall down (like you’d get with a washing up bowl) it goes all down my trousers so it looks like i’ve p1ssed myself.

Lastly, the plug gets knocked out occasionaly.

Despite explaining all this, she still won’t get a washing up bowl due to some tedious rubbishy BBC article from years ago (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/1056364.stm)

WTF?

Surely all sensible people have a washing up bowl?

organic355
    Free Member

Ive got a dishwasher.

fastindian
    Free Member

right on brother, you aint washing up unless its in a bowl!

clubber
    Free Member

I let my butler sort it all out.

Pieface

if its a single bowl sink then yes, otherwise no

ocrider

Ive got a dishwasher.

Smug git*.

We have a washing up bowl. It lives under the stairs.
    I use it for cleaning bike bits and storing all the lube and degreaser. The OH can’t complain because does she clean her own bike? 😉

*Me too!

AndyP
    Free Member

Ive got a dishwasher.
    This, only with an apostrophe where applicable.

camo16
    Free Member

Judging from the dishwasher contingent ^^^^^ this is a seriously middle-class forum. 😐 Ooh, how the other half live etc etc etc.

+1 for the bowl and, let it be said, for t-towels. Old skool, baby!

trail_rat
    Free Member

that article makes me laugh

on the left we have the clean freaks saying use disposable – i bet these are the same folk wearing face masks on flights

on the right we have the enviromentalists …..

i wonder do the clean freaks ever eat out at a restaurant ? – they must hyperventalate.

TBH im not for them but they are a necessary evil atm – the whole argument of being able to stick stuff down the side of them is flawed as there is invariably not enough room down the side and i end up with what ever it was all over the bunker or in the sink and having to refill the sink anyway ! ….

my new house is getting a dishwasher as the one task a fooking hate with vengance is the washing of the dishes.

curvature
    Free Member

I have a wife.

wtf are you doing in a kitchen unless you work in one 😀

highclimber
    Free Member

Protest – tell her you refuse to do the washing up unless you have a bowl to do it in. She can continue using the sink but you won’t touch a dirty pot unless there’s a bowl to wash it in.

I agree with you sir, Bowls have to be more hygenic and are certainly more convenient.

SiB
    Free Member

Ceramic (or whatever that hard stuff is) sink here…….too many chipped plates and bowls and broken glasses so a bowl it is.

LadyAlexMTB
    Free Member

I am a total no-no for a washing up bowl.

It would be fine if I were the only one who ever used the sink.

But I find that when unsupervised, other sink users do not clean the washing up bowl after use and it ends up totally minging. Particularly the outside of it when it is left floating atop its emptied contents after use.

Grim grim grim.

To get over the problem described of late arrivals to the washing up scene, I suggest emptying dregs into the garden. Perfect!

the-muffin-man

I ruddy hate washing up bowls so its a NO from me!

hels
    Free Member

Goodness no, gruesome and foul British habit, I can’t abide the things. They are scabby and smelley – have you ever lifted one up to see the crud on the bottom ? Keep the sink clean and you don’t need one, and you have way more room for washing dishes. Just empty all the cups when you put them on the side lazybones ! Or use one of the many other drainage points in the house.

camo16
    Free Member

have you ever lifted one up to see the crud on the bottom ?

Yeah, but I don’t eat stuff off the bottom. It’s like the inside of toilets. Judging from the ads, there’s hordes of evil empire-building germs in there. 😉

IanMunro
    Free Member

I never used to use them. Seemed fantstically pointless when you have a working sink, but now I do use one and wouldn’t have it any other way.
    I can’t remember the reason but I think it was something along the lines of not having to clean the sink after cleaning bike bits in it.

cbike
    Free Member

Washing up bowls are for decadent camping, Defrosting fridges, being sick in and washing things remote from a sink.

Sinks are for washing stuff in and are almost self cleaning. Why do you need to put a smaller bowl shape inside a bigger bowl shape? Bowl users sink’s smell bad which indicates bacteria. The plastic gets all greasy,
    you tip it all out and still have to clean the sink anyway. Weirdos.

I fill bowls and plates individually with water camping style and rinse the plates. But mostly use a dishwasher for a whole week in a oner which saves water. Energy consumption must be even stevens..

jfletch
    Free Member

New misses? Seems a better solution all round.

No washing up bowl in a single sink is just illogical girl talk.

Cougar

she still won’t get a washing up bowl

I’m not seeing the showstopper here. You want one, she won’t get one. Surely the solution’s fairly obvious. Is she the only person in the house capable of buying a washing up bowl or something?

madhouse

We’ve got a washing up bowl, although I can’t vouch for my sensibleness.

Dolcered

yes to the bowl.
    previous owner of my flat stole the plug, so no choice! (could have bought one i suppose, but it was white plastic sink so was always going to get rid of it)

i don’t want my lovely new stainless steel sink getting all scratched. It’s not that hard to spray the bottom of the bowl to get rid of any grimness.

jon1973
    Free Member

They are scabby and smelley – have you ever lifted one up to see the crud on the bottom

They only get like that if you don’t clean them. It’s like saying underwear is a rubbish idea beacuse they get all smelley (possibly scabby as well) if you never change or wash them.

+1 for washing up bowls (and underwear).

GrahamS

Judging from the dishwasher contingent ^^^^^ this is a seriously middle-class forum. 😐

Hmm…

*looks at dishwasher and ceramic double Belfast sink*

*feels frightfully bourgeois*

*likes it*

8)

trout
    Free Member

i don’t want my lovely new stainless steel sink getting all scratched.

If our not so new stainless sink is owt to go by it now has bowl base shaped scratches in the bottom
    no bowl now Dishwashers rule

hels
    Free Member

Well, if you wash your dishes in your underwear you are really only getting what you deserve !

And don’t start me on “steeping” I had a lazy arse flatmate from Glasgow who would fill the bowl with water and throw all his dishes in “to steep” and leave them there for days getting smellier. I eventually just opened his bedroom door and shoved the dishes in bowl and all and left it there, then straight to the shop for bleach and a sink plug.

So the bowl does have some uses.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Never mind the use of washing up bowls. I saw this FTW

Plates should be stacked up and allowed to dry naturally rather than mopped with a cloth which might be contaminated.

justatheory
    Free Member

Yes

mogrim

Dishwasher and double sink, bowls are grim affairs and are best avoided.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Never use a washing up bowl – you have a sink – why put a smaller bowl in it that you cannot drain? dirty and inconveninet

crazy-legs

Of course use a bowl, then you can just tip out dirty water or if you need access to the sink, just lift the bowl out rather than draining it and lifting all the plates out individually.

Also means you can save water when rinsing fruit or veg under the tap and use it to water the plants rather than it just being washed down the sink.

IanMunro
    Free Member

why put a smaller bowl in it that you cannot drain?

You know that you can lift them up and pour the water out, rather than just wait for it to evaporate 🙂

dirty and inconvenient

The bowl for only washing things you eat off.
    The sink is for washing everything else.
    Hygienic and convenient.

richmtb

There is almost no issue however trivial that can’t be arugued about on STW!

I hate doing the dishes so I cook instead, seems like a fair division of labour. On the odd occasion that I wash a plate the sink with or without the plug in seems perfectly up to the job

ocrider

The bowl for only washing things you eat off bike parts.

FTFY

MrWoppit
    Free Member

If you’re on a water meter – definitely yes.

richmtb

If you’re on a water meter – definitely yes.

Water meter? Really? You mean pay for that stuff that regularly falls from the sky and fills up all the lochs free of charge. Pay for that?

You be telling us you can’t ride on footpaths next 😀

Rubber_Buccaneer

Most stuff in the dishwasher the rest can come in the shower with me. Using a bowl would be unhygienic.

onewheelgood

STW – all human life is here.

and a lot of unidentified life forms busy building a civilisation underneath your washing up bowl

coffeeking
    Free Member

Water meter? Really? You mean pay for that stuff that regularly falls from the sky and fills up all the lochs free of charge. Pay for that?

Ever checked your council tax bill? Unless you live in the hills with your own water supply and disposal system I suspect you do too.

As for washing up bowls (I’ve got a dishwasher now but used to wash by hand) – who the hell fills the bowl with dishes and needs to remove them? That’s what the worktop is for, you then transfer them to the sink as they need washing.

randomjeremy
    Free Member

If you can afford an MTB you can afford a dishwasher this isn’t the third world you know

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Washing Up Bowl – yes or no?’ is closed to new replies.