Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Washing MTB
  • baldeagle
    Free Member

Newby again. Any advice on how to wash my MTB. I do mostly trail riding which means I can’t see my bike at the end of the ride. I tend to use a low powered jetwash on the main bits, using a fine spray on the gears, crank etc. Still worried about water getting in the bearings although I’m guessing they are are a lot more sealed than they were years ago.
    Any guidance very much appreciated.

Thanks

jota180
    Free Member

Whatever you do, do not use washing up liquid

It’s a FACT that your bike will dissolve if you resort to scrubbing it with Fairy liquid.
    You will hear tales of secret potions that get sold to [strike]gullible[/strike] mountain bike owners, these companies produce these products as a service to our pastime and have your best interests at heart so please make sure that you buy into this dream

😉

Bregante
    PeaslakeDave
    Free Member

I use a hose and a sponge the old fashioned way. I used a jetwash once and although it was quick it wasn’t that effective. I think it is worth spending some time in doing the job properly.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I don’t usually bother cleaning my bike. When i do i use a bit of muck off and give it a bit of a scrub then hose it down. I would use a pressure washer but I don’t have one. Plan to get one for car and bike cleaning at some point this year.

neninja
    Free Member

Having used Mucoff etc I now just hose it down then use the cheapest car shampoo I can find with warm water and a brush. Gets just as good results and doesn’t seem to degrease all the bearings like Mucoff.

Do use a bit of citrus degreaser on the drive chain occasionally and remove the chain to clean in white spirit.

powerofqman
    Free Member

Whatever you do, do not use washing up liquid

I have used washing up liquid on bikes bikes past and present for years and never had any problem with them. Yes it does contain some salt but as long as you wash it off thoroughly then there is no issue.

Yes you can buy the expensive cleaners that you spray on and then rinse off, but in my experience, there is nothing like a sponge, hot soapy water and a smallish brush for the gearing. Oh and my trusty hosepipe…

Spey-Stout
    Free Member

What you need is sheep tallow and caustic soda or lye, mix well and leave for about six weeks or so……….

nikk
    Free Member

Brush and plain water.

Let dry, and if desired go over with oily rag.

Clean chain with rag soaked in white spirit and then relube. Once in a while take chain off and soak and clean in white spirit, then re-lube.

Only use washing up liquid if you are too stubborn to admit that salt water and steel is a bad combination, and too tight to raise a fiver for some proper degreaser.

tarquin
    Free Member

I use warm water, sponge and some car wash stuff usually. Rinse with the hose, and then blow dry with compressor if I have it about.

nickswolves
    Free Member

If your a premier subscriber check out the video on the latest issue located in cleaner/degreaser review online, worth a look.

PS. the rider does use amongst other products washing up liquid

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Washing MTB’ is closed to new replies.