Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Wasdale route advice
  • funkynick

Evenin' all…

Am going to be staying up in Wasdale in a few weeks time and had sorted out a route that looked okay on paper, but not knowing the exact bridleways it's hard to tell…

So, before I take everyone on a 20-odd mile hike-a-bike, can anyone comment on the route:-

Wasdale – Netherbeck – Ennerdale – Black Sail Pass – Wasdale Head – Burnmoor Tarn – Miterdale – Irton Fell – Wasdale

Now I know Black Sail is gonna be a bit of a git, as could be part of the climb up by Netherbeck.

So whaddya reckon?

Spud

Hike-a-bike!!! 😉

funkynick

Coward… you just want an easy route! 😉

boxelder

Not a good plan. That's 6 hours + at a decent pace.
    In a few weeks is likely to mean cold. Any route from Wasdale to Ennerdale involves a lot of carrying.
    A better option is perhaps:
    Wasdale – Irton Fell – Miterdale – straight up and over to Boot – pub – The Esk trail down along the R. Esk to King George IV – back along road to Boot – over by Burnmoor Tarn – Wasdale.

Or, from Irton Fell/Pike – straight to Eskdale, continue west over Ulpha Fell into The Duddon Valley – southish around singletrack towards Stephenson Ground – back down to Duddon – over Harter Fell back to Eskdale – Burnmoor.

Mail me if/when confused.
    There are better bases than Wasdale.

Spud

I'm thinking of flats and walking boots!!

funkynick

Cheers for your comments…

Hmmmm, looks like I might have to rethink then, and save that lil gem up for myself at some later stage.

I'll look at those two routes and see what I think.

Cheers again..

funkynick

Not your normal stilettos then Greg? 😉

muddydwarf
    Free Member

There is a nice little BW through Mitredale from the YH centre just up the road from the George IV pub. goes along the valley up to Black Ghyll where you can push up and ride down to Wasdale (as we did) or carry on along the valley into Wasdale.

Mitredale is great, tiny valley, very secluded and rather protected from the wind (unless it's right off the Irish Sea).
    Personally i would go up to the Tarn, drop down into boot and stop at one of the lovely pubs, head along the Esk trail to the George IV then go back through Mitredale.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I've never tried to go down Irton Fell – we do it as a carry, but I wouldn't recommend it. I must confess I'd never noticed the BW along Nether Beck – it looks scenic but hard 🙂

Boxelder's route looks good, though I'd go SO to Eskdale Green in Miterdale, heading W a short way to pick up the BW to Muncasater Head, then L to Forge House and pick up the BW beside the river to Boot (stepping stones), then Burnmoor Tarn:

funkynick

Well, the Esk trail certainly seems to be getting some votes…

Thanks chaps..

Spud

Stilletos are only for the pub on the Friday night! You're welcome to borrow a pair! 😉

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

Didn't we have this conversation the same time last year?

Hedgehog
    Free Member

whats all this talk of stilleto's ?

what type exactly of weekend are you lot planning !!

… now i am looking forward to a good ride !

Spud

😉

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Wasdale route advice’ is closed to new replies.