Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Wasdale Head classic ride recommendations?
  • B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Got one day in Wasdale or any of that western area (Ennerdale etc). Anyone recommend a particularly good ride that’s not too killer. About 5 hours, average fitness.
    Thanks

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

The ride over from wasdale up to burnmore tarn then down to boot is good. Would need to check the map for a return but there’s plenty of riding there. Sure someone will be along soon with better advice!
    Info here

http://www.glowingcoast.co.uk/rightsofway/mtb/wasdale04.htm

mikewsmith
    Free Member

There is a link through Mecklin Wood and Miterdale Forest that gets you over to Eskdale but it’s harder to make into a look dropping into Boot which is good. There is also a Blea tarn from the King George Inn I think that gets you the Boot descent and then you can go back down the other side of Eskdale. Check out the white guidebook.

GaVgAs
    Free Member

NCBs route is the easier option,your right into proper nadgecore riding there tho and its really the only route if you want to avoid the harder trails The miterdale descent is well worth doing but best accessed from the road as the off road climb is very boggy even this time of year hth

teadrinker
    Free Member

No recommendations but have a good time, for personal interest and future reference type comment 🙂

thekettle
    Free Member

If you fancy sampling a Lakeland pass without riding a killer loop, an out-and-back trip to the top of Black Sail Pass from Wasdale head gives you one of the best pass descents in the Lakes.
    Otherwise you are ideally placed for the Tour of Gable (classic pass-bashing):Wasdale-styhead-Borrowdale-Honister-Warnscale-Buttermere-Scarth Gap-Ennerdale-Black Sail-Wasdale! Allow 5-6hrs and lots of hike-a-bike. It’s a beast by most folks standards but it’d be rude not to since you’re there! 😉

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

cheers everyone, has anyone done the wast water to ennerdale water Bridleway??

Harris
    Free Member

If it’s the bridleway that starts just off the road about a half mile from Wasdale Head campsite then I’d give it a miss. I’m sure I did years ago. As I rememmber it, the final half up to the summit was push and carry, the first half wasn’t much better. I did it as part of a loop starting at Bowness Knott car park, down to Black Sail YH, up Black Sale pass and down to Wasdale Head. The decent to Wasdale Head is special. The fun ended there. The rest was a slog. I remember being on the summit of the bridleway looking down to Ennerdale water knowing that I was due to start a nightshift two hours later (I was fifteen miles from home). We ended up riding down the fell through ferns and shrubs until we found a path along the river.
    Thekettle’s route gets my vote.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Boblo and I did the Black Sail Pass ascent from the hut to Wasdale Head on the first day of our C2C ride. It’s well worth the effort for the downhill.

Pics in here and on page 2

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/?o=PS&page_id=376166&v=4G&part=2

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Wasdale Head classic ride recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.