Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Warriors series (Bosnia/1992) anyone remember?
  • hora
    Free Member

Just rebought this. Still as good as I remembered it.

freeagent
    Free Member

Yes, it was brilliant – where did you buy it from?

hora
    Free Member

Amazon from a NL seller

firestarter
    Free Member

I hope the show was better than being there. I did three tours of the bloody place

hora
    Free Member

Its a ‘gem’. Not glamorous or glorifying. Abit like a trip to a early 90’s Glaswegian council estate..

firestarter
    Free Member

I’ll have to have a look. Ta

hora
    Free Member

Edit

mattbee

Father in law was out there for a while as a surgeon. He will talk about his time in Northern Ireland after a few drinks, some pretty bleak stuff. He will never talk about the Balkans other than to say he still gets nightmares about it.

konabunny
    Free Member

Was Warriors not the New Labour MoD sponsored drama that repositioned the UK army as the reluctant vanguard of liberal interventionalism? Or was that some other rubbish?

hora
    Free Member

Read that wrong IMO

durhambiker
    Free Member

Got it on DVD but not watched it for a while, might dig it out later

konabunny
    Free Member

Yup, that’s what I thought I remembered. Kosminsky was a proponent of humanitarian interventionism, and the MoD supplied tons of military equipment, locations and the people to operate it. This was when the political leadership of the MoD needed to reposition the military and attract new recruits.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/1999/nov/20/richardnortontaylor

This is a classic publicist’s line btw: this movie was so accurate X doesn’t want it realised because it could traumatise people / the makeup was so accurate that the actor’s husband-wife-dog cried when they saw them / this prop was so realistic that the SFX guy was actually arrested at the airport

http://www.relativeautonomy.com/blog/history-is-screaming-at-us-humanitarian-interventionism-and-the-popular-geopolitics-of-the-bosnian-war-in-leigh-jackson-and-peter-kosminskys-warriors

firestarter
    Free Member

Just looked this up I actually have the film on dvd the mention of being a series threw me . I’ve not watched it for a long time but when I saw it it took me to a place I don’t often go without alcohol. I spent 22 months in total over there. I’ve certainly had better trips 😉

yunki
    Free Member

I’m mildly interested in these glimpses into life in war zones, but always feel a bit uncomfortable about the voyeuristic nature and what it says about me as a person..

My ex father-in-law is obsessed with military history, he restores military vehicles and is fiercely proud of ‘our boys’ achievements and heroism, but I find it all a bit odd cos the fat, useless sack of shit has himself never done anything more daring than ringing a few cut n shut motors in his 30s..
    The way he talks you’d think he was decorated, but the closest he’s ever come to military service is posting twaddle from Britain First on facebook 🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Warriors series (Bosnia/1992) anyone remember?’ is closed to new replies.