Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Warranty – how long is reasonable ?
  • iainc

Sons road bike (Giant Defy 5) which was bought online in sales end of last year developed a front end rattle/creak a few months back. I couldn’t trace it, neither could local Giant Dealer, so it was shipped back to the online retailer, who sent it to Giant. The retailer has it back now and is waiting for a new fork under warranty from Giant, as they say there is ‘an issue’ with it. They (retailer) don’t know what said issue is and I am sceptical, as both me and LBS had fork right out and inspected, shook it about etc. Anyway, we’ll see if new fork sorts the problem….

Question is how long is reasonable before I kick up at retailer ? It’s so far not that long – the bike went to them 3 weeks ago. I’m thinking that 4 weeks is reasonable for it being back with me, but suspect that won’t happen….

I realise they will say they are waiting for a fork from supplier, but I don’t know if that’s my problem, as my contract and warranty is with the shop ?

Thoughts ? Thanks

hora
    Free Member

I’m on the phone asking politely for an update after one week. It’s unacceptable to wait in the best weeks of the year for a mass produced, big company part or resolution.

Think of it this way, how quick and keen would they be to sell you a product?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’d be asking for details of what exactly is going on, an then an update as to what they are doing for you

iainc

I’m in pretty regular mail contact (they don’t seem to like phone contact) and it takes best part of a day to get a response. So far they have been ok though. Bike is a 2015 model, fork changed in colour from black to white for 2016 so I can imagine Giant may be looking around for one. If they don’t find one I think they might have to replace frame too…..

bruneep

5 weeks and counting for orbea, but forks did go to Spain and then onto BOS Spain. Been told be dispatched next week I’ll not hold my breath.

iainc

Mike – I have done and they have been reasonably responsive. Bike sat at Giant for a week etc so not fully fault of retailer, but thats not really my problem.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Not at all, at least you have all the comms in writing. an entire frame for a fork colour is maybe a bit much, guessing the warranty says equivalent parts or something like that,

Next steps these days are usually twitter and facebook

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Warranty – how long is reasonable ?’ is closed to new replies.