Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Warranties on cars….how do they work?
  • MikeT-23
    Free Member

Never had the call to claim on one before, but I just learned that my 8 1/2 yo car has rust under the paint at the foot of driver’s door and the passenger door behind it, and the manufacturer offers a twelve year warranty on corrosion.
    Do I call them first? Do I drive it in to the dealership shouting and bawling? Do they treat the problem amd send me on my way with a smile and a wave?
    What should I expect?

Probably more info out there on webworld, but this forum always seems personable (to a greater degree) and knowledgeable. Thanks

uplink
    Free Member

Have you kept up the annual anti corrosion inspections?

MikeT-23
    Free Member

och, you’re kidding….

Cougar

In my experience, most extended warranties involve fleecing you for more money and then using every trick in the book to weedle out of paying out claims. The “annual inspections” wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest.

I’d suggest your first port of call might be to ring Service at the nearest main dealer and ask them.

5lab

yeah if you’ve not had the annual inspections done at the manufacturer, the bodywork warranty is probably worth squat.

It is fair on behalf of the manufacturers to require this, in my opinion, as a lot of corrosion is cheap to fix if caught early, but gets progressively more expensive to fix as time goes on

MikeT-23
    Free Member

Okay. Thanks for that. I shall call the dealership and see what they say.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Isn’t the clause normally ‘anti-perforation’ ie, it has to have rusted right through.

jordie
    Free Member

car warrenties work like you think you are covered until you need to make a claim then you find out you are not.I had a tiny spot of rust on the backdoor of a Focus.I was told that it was a design fault and they were not going to fix it.

uplink
    Free Member

To be fair

Toyota have just put new injectors in my [1 year out of warranty] car FOC

MikeT-23
    Free Member

Well, that seemed painless enough! I’ve to take it in to the bodyshop for a wee look tomorrow, and no mention made of annual inspection history…yet.
    Cheers chaps.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

To be fair

Toyota have just put new injectors in my [1 year out of warranty] car FOC

To give balance I had all kinds of crap trying to get Mazda to pay to repair the fault on our (1 yr out of warranty) Mazda 3. This is despite Mazda forums being awash with people owning cars built around 2007 all with the same DSC problem.

Our Mazda dealer told us they wouldn’t act on our behalf as we hadn’t had it serviced by them (we did all services with them up to three years old and it had one additional service carried out to Mazda specification by an independent dealer after the three years were up).

It cost me £800ish to repair and finally got Mazda to stump up 50% after sending them a pile of about 20 pages of forum post after forum post proving how many other Mazda 3s, 5s and 6s had the identical fault. Many people (up to the time of writing on the forum) hadn’t received a penny towards the cost and some had paid up to £1200 to have it repaired.

BrickMan

Yup, need to keep up the anti corrosion card in the back of the manual.
    Also some require that its serviced with them on time for everything up to the point you claim (even though they often don’t do the corrosion card even when they are supposed to, I assume deliberatly).

We had a massive problem with corrosion with an old merc E class, 2000 W reg, bought it 2years old from merc dealer, at its first MOT (not done with merc and their stupid prices) it failed as was deamed unsafe to even bother fixing, entire area where the rear subframe/ suspension cage/ axle pivots etc attached into the body of the car was rotton in so many places that it was technically a write off.

Took over a year of battling with Merc to eventually get the money back for the car (not the whole amount, only difference between £0 and value of car at that point, so catered for merc dealer price deprecations).

Essentially car warranties = hassle you don’t need in your life. Generally even if its even a common fault you have to PROOVE to the dealer/retailer that it is a common problem then argue they have to fix to xxxx standard etc.
    I just get tired of it and as a rule of thumb, generally don’t bother buying new stuff of value anymore as you often don’t get as much protection as you think you will.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Warranties on cars….how do they work?’ is closed to new replies.