Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Warranties and holidays- who's wrong here?
  • SpokesCycles
    Free Member

I've been having issues with a pair of forks that came on a new bike. The travel adjust keeps failing, and it's been back to the distributor and, in the loosest possible sense, 'fixed'.

At the end of may the travel adjust failed for the 2nd time by exploding oil everywhere. The lockout also failed AND the rebound. They were sent back and I was told it'll take 3 weeks.

Now, the problems revolve around my holiday at the end of june to the alps. With the bike. The forks arrived the week I was due to leave and due to other commitments there was no time to try them. First day of the holiday they failed. Stuck down, so not even working in any suspended form. I called the distributor and they said send them to the french distributor. 600km away. No time local shop could fix it as it needed a whole new cartridge. So I hired forks for the week so as not to waste the trip. Hire cost 75 pounds. Should the distributor, considering it was them that fixed it incorrectly and could have ruined my trip, pay me for this? They think not. They seem to be saying it's not their fault I was on holiday so It's my problem. Are they being unreasonable or do I expect too much?

Reluctant
    Free Member

I don't think their liability extends to covering costs other than fixing your fork.

druidh
    Free Member

Wot he said. Any warranty I've ever seen excludes consequential loss.

khani
    Free Member

I'd ask for a refund and get somthing else if they are being snotty

peteimpreza

What make and model of forks and who did the so called repairs?

special77
    Free Member

Good old Rockshox

ampthill

I don't think you have the right to anything from Rockshox (accept a refund). But clearly they owe you in a moral sense. Do you have travel insurance you could clain on…….

hels
    Free Member

Your choice to go on holiday mate. Would you like them to follow you everywhere in a truck with a full workshop in the back ? You should have tested them first or taken your back-up forks just in case.

I sympathise but no sorry you can't claim for that. Although for good PR they should at least send you a free t-shirt or gloves or something.

ojom
    Free Member

If you keep using the Park R-OCK1 to fit your forks then this is going to happen.

Told you.
    8)

nbt

I would second the claiming on travel insurance, rockshox don't owe you anything legally but morally it's pretty suspect, it's certainly not making them look good to me (and I like rockshox forks, have several pairs)

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

I'd like to make it clear that this is not a rockshox fork. I've only ever had one issue with them and they absolutely bent over backward to help me on a 2nd hand 3 year old fork. Superb.
    Fair enough if they aren't legally obligied. When they fail again i've said I want a new fork, which is apparently not their policy but they can clear off.

The amount of times they go wrong the truck following sounds like a great idea!

wwaswas

If you bought them 'retial' then sales of goods act applies and you can demand your money back. If you got them through a shop at 'staff rates' then it might be a little more grey.

It's the retailer not the distributer who has to stump up the refund, anyway.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

YOu have the right under the sale of goods act to have your money back ( or the fork replaced or repaired). Your contract is with the shop you bought them from not teh importer however.

There are some exceptions or qulifications around being a trader but I can't remeber them or be bothered to look them up.

No cover for consequential loss in all normal circumstances

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

They came on a full bike, so (unless someone can say otherwise) I'm not entitled to a refund to the value of the fork. I can demand a new fork then wang it on ebay though.

The disstributor say they have been told not to hand out new forks in any circumstances by the manufacturer, which to me sounds wrong.

z1ppy

I'm going for Pace as the fork make.

retro83
    Free Member

08/09 Zoke surely with that failure rate?

chakaping
    Free Member

My money is on Marzocchi.

And to the question – neither of you are wrong but you're expectations are probably a bit unrealistic.

I'd give them two goes at fixing it before I demanded a replacement myself.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

spokes – google sale of goods act.

YOu have a right to have the bike repaired, replaced or your money refunded.

You may not be able to insist on a new fork as the repair – but you can insist on a complete new bike

consumers direct have a lot of advice.

However – the SOGA rights exist in relation to your contract with the shop you bought it from – not the importer.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Warranties and holidays- who's wrong here?’ is closed to new replies.