Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Warmest road overshoes?
  • chilled76
    Free Member

Went out today with 2 pairs of socks with foil inbetween them plus a thin pair of overshoes and I about had frost bite when I got back after 3 hours.

Anyone recommend an overshoe that is really good for keeping feet warm?

I would buy a winter set if boots but it’s expensive and I’ve already got too many pairs of cycling shoes for the space I’ve got where I keep them.

Thanks

cheers_drive

Gore thermo windstopper are the warmest I’ve had, not totally water proof though but I use mudguards and they work OK in moderate rain

lunge

Planet-X neoprene over some Castelli toe covers and some PX merino socks. Does the job for me.

prawny

For the road I’d 2nd toe covers and overshoes, I had pretty warm feet last year using this method. Toe covers are crap on MTB shoes though.

I use Aldi merino socks too, nothing fancy.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Have you possibly over stuffed your shoes. If you effectively remove all wiggle room for your feet you cant move your toes which means circulation will slow down.

A merino sock toe civer and overshoe may well be warmer despite less layers.

Also are you lower legs warm enough? Not mch good insulating your feet if you’re blasting the source of warm blood with cold air before they get to your tootsies.

chilled76
    Free Member

Prob did overstuff a bit… but no it was just flipping cold today and I was wearing summer shoes with an oversize that could be described as lace.

The gore ones suggested look good however £35 is pricey

mrblobby
    Free Member

Blimey, how cold was it out?

I’ve been using Endura Freezing Point overshoes, been good so far with Woolie Boolie socks and taped up shoe vents.

chilled76
    Free Member

Prob about 4 degrees and raining sideways. Was out for about 3 hours.

I was also doing disciplined zone 2 which prob didn’t help as o wasn’t exactly generating heat.

My overshoes aren’t really overshoes, they are POC things to make you more visible, so was basically out in a pair of Giro summer shoes and 2 pairs of socks. I’m not convinced the foil did anything.

spangelsaregreat
    Free Member

Any waterproof socks (Aldi ones are good) but make sure they are not too thick as it cuts the circulation off and makes your feet cold.

Add a decent overshoe (Endura Neoprene ones for me) and you should be good.

pedroball
    Free Member

there are the Spatzwear overshoes, which are neoprene and go up above your calves. I’ve ridden in summer socks over the past couple of weeks and been warm. They’re good but not cheap (£80)

chakaping
    Free Member

BBB Heavy Duty are excellent, with thick merino socks like Woolie Boolies.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Those Spatz, good then? They’d be a talking point on a group ride 🙂

hollyboni
    Free Member

Get chemical toe warmers.

https://www.amazon.com/HotHands-Toe-Warmers-Odorless-Activated/dp/B0007ZF4PE

You can buy them at Decathlon too.

Other than winter boots i’ve tried every trick, nothing worked.

anagallis_arvensis

The cheaper full neoprene options tend to be warmest. I use the Planetx ones.

cookeaa

Prob about 4 degrees and raining sideways. Was out for about 3 hours.

Sounds like water was the main issue, neoprene isn’t actually waterproof, it might slow down the rate at which it penetrates your hoof coverings but water will eventually get through given enough time…

I did find wrapping my shoe/ankle in clingfilm under an overstock, under a neoprene overshoe quite effective last winter, it’s just layering, if you can make some of the layers more waterproof it will help…

You could try these but they are apparently quite delicate…

alexxx
    Free Member

I’ve switched to mtb shoes as I find them warmer. Just a pair of specialized 2fo’s with merino socks most of the time and then just a cheap neoprene overshoe to keep rain off if needed.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

The £10 Planet X neoprene one’s are my go to when it’s cold and wet, you still get wet feet but they’re warm. Would like to like Spatz, but £80!

onandon
    Free Member

Never found any over shoes which were any good. Or if they were good they didn’t last.
    Spend some money on dedicated winter shoes and use from nov to March. Money very, very well spent.

Haze

Best combination I’ve had are Defeet Woolie Boolies with Castelli Pioggia 3 overshoes…only thin but keep the rain out pretty well and the socks keep everything warm.

TiRed

Sidi goretex winter boots. A size too big, merino long socks and neoprine Overshoes XL. Had the same as you yesterday in the rain in my defroster’ mtb boots. Fine for an hr until it rained and the water wicked down my socks. Feet looked bad for an hour after!

mrblobby
    Free Member

I’ve got…

Endura Freezing Point – when it’s cold
    Endura Road neoprene – when it’s wet but not that cold
    Sportful windpoof fleecy ones – a bit cold and dry

They work ok mostly (with decent socks and taped up vents on the shoes.) Maybe if I tried proper winter boots i’d think they are all rubbish but i’ve not tried any. Tempted by the new northwave ones though as previously always been put off by inflexibility around the ankle. But then it’s 200+ quid when I haven’t really got a problem with overshoes.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Found an old set of these in the drawer the other day that I’d got Mrs B a while back and thought I’d give them a try on today’s chilly ride (Garmin says 0C for a fair portion of the ride)…

With woolie boolies and Freezing Point overshoes, if anything, my feet were a little too warm for the first half an hour or so. After that I stopped noticing and didn’t have cause to think about my feet for the rest of the 2 hours. Pretty good really as after a ride like that my toes are usually numb. Maybe not that economical to use them all the time, but for occasional use 20 for 16 quid on Amazon is pretty good.

ransos
    Free Member

I’m not a fan of neoprene overshoes. On longer rides, they make my feet clammy then they get cold. For milder rides I use DHB fabric overshoes (they last pretty well and are only £20) or proper boots for when it’s really cold/

Buzzlightyear
    Free Member

Never found a pair of overshoes that kept me warm, despite trying loads and different combinations of socks.

Now have winter boots and a good pair of thermal socks, no issues.

freeagent
    Free Member

I tried a couple of different pairs of overshoes before I gave in and bought some NW winter boots two years ago.
    I’d say they are best investment I’ve made for winter road riding.
    I picked up a cheap pair of Ski socks from decathlon on Saturday and used them on Sunday with the boots – awesome.

Most important thing I’ve found is not to do the boots up too tight, as my feet don’t stay as warm, and the outer edge of my foot aches.

ransos
    Free Member

I tried a couple of different pairs of overshoes before I gave in and bought some NW winter boots two years ago.

Yeah, I did a long sub-zero ride over Christmas using those boots and Bridgedale hiking socks. My feet were cool but never uncomfortable.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Must admit I’m still eyeing up some boots. These new Northwave ones on sale at Sigmasport are very tempting indeed…

https://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/Northwave/Flash-GTX-Winter-Road-Shoes-2018/G7SJ

Even though I don’t really have a problem with my current winter footwear. And I know they’ll be too narrow/long, and the cleat will be too far forward, etc. The price is almost too good not to at least try a pair 😕

pb2

Which model of the NW range are you using ?

avdave2

I used my Shimano mtb winter boots with Woolie Boolies and Aldi overshoes on the road recently and that worked well. Don’t know exactly how cold it was but cold enough for me to find some ice and end up in a puddle of freezing water at the side of the road.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Warmest road overshoes?’ is closed to new replies.