Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Warm waterproof gloves, what's good?
  • lee170
    Free Member

My trusty old endura strikes have finally give up the ghost so I’m in the market for New pair of warm waterproof gloves, nothing bulky as I like to feel the bars/brakes/gears etc. I’ll be using them for both the road bike and mtb.
    I’ve heard good things about the craft storm glove but not sure how warm they are

FuzzyWuzzy

I’ve not found a single glove that’s warm, waterproof and non-bulky (and I’ve spent hundreds on them). The key for me is a merino liner glove + a decent winter glove (e.g. gore alp-x or xenon). My preferred gloves are a gore one they’ve stopped making but they’re convertible from normal to lobster style (flap tucks into back of glove) ideal for switching between road and MTB use. No clue why they stopped making them but I know some other brands have a similar design.

fudge9202
    Free Member

Galibier gloves are excellent.

smashit
    Free Member

Galibier Barrier as good as anything twice the price.
    http://galibier.cc/product/barrier-ii-winter-glove/

ahwiles
    Free Member

glove liners and a size-up neoprene glove.

this combo works well for me, and i’ve got the hands of a desk-bound southern softy.

Glove liners = £4 decathlon specials.

neoprene gloves = glacier perfect curve

theflatboy
    Free Member

Galibier’s didn’t work out for me last winter, not sure if it’s because they were a little too tight or not. I have just got some GripGrab gloves which I’m pinning my hopes on this year, but feel like I need a liner to improve things.

What fabric are people preferring for their liners? Merino, silk, other?

jamiep
    Free Member

liners: rooster hot hands and feet bundle

Gary_M
    Free Member

warm, waterproof and non-bulky

I’ve not found anything that fits into that category and I’ve looked long and hard. Aldi/lidl gloves with Extremities paclite mitts are about the best thing I’ve found – I’m not sure that fits into your non-bulky criteria though.

The problem with neoprene gloves is that they stink after one ride, and I’ve never found them that warm.

Most gloves that claim to be waterproof won’t last more than an hour in heavy rain. Last night I rode home and wore merino glove liners and aldi ‘lobster’ style gloves. It was raining when I left work then by the time I got to the moor it was heavy snow, about 3 miles from home water was getting through the gloves and my hands started to freeze. By the time I got home they were numb.

Similar thing this morning, castelli roubaix inner glove with specialized sub zero outer, snow most of the way then rain. Numb hands again. But I can cope with that for the last 20 minutes of a ride.

Dekerf
    Free Member

looking for the past few year still haven’t found anything

my trouble is I have slim long fingers, so either they are too loose or too short 🙁

I might try some castelli boa’s this winter, but at over £100 for gloves are silly money, but I have wasted more than double that on other gloves that aren’t even that warm

Gary_M
    Free Member

The boa’s don’t seem to have anything that would help keep your hands warm, just looks like a fancy shell with a fleece lining.

headfirst
    Free Member

Aldi/lidl gloves

these by a country mile are the warmest gloves I have. Like toasters for your hands

devash
    Free Member

My pair of Strikes has neither been warm nor waterproof. 😆

As above, the best pair I have for when the mercury goes below zero are my Aldi winter cycling gloves, although they are fairly bulky.

scaredypants

I got some rooster hot-gloves in the post today

I’ve got long slim fingers too and the gloves are a good fit; I just can’t decide whether I want a layer below them or not (I think they def need a layer on top), so unsure about sizing

The stuff’s very well priced so worth a punt IMO, and Rooster seem very sensible about returns etc (I’m localish so I’m going over to swap a pair of socks for bigger ones)

Dekerf
    Free Member

The boa’s don’t seem to have anything that would help keep your hands warm, just looks like a fancy shell with a fleece lining.

Your right there, though the option to get slightly bigger for length and adjust on the back for width should help

They are supposed to be waterproof and windproof too which if combined with a decent liner glove should be good then for the subzero rides this winter

Northwind

Perfect Curves are 100% waterproof and fantastically warm. But non-bulky? No. It’s like having a set of foam grips on your fingers.

They feel pretty different to a normal winter glove… There’s no real stiffness to them for one. While they’re very squishy and that can feel a bit divorced from the bike, I still feel like I have good contact and feedback, it just feels really different from a normal glove. So it’s a big ymmv, I’m sure a lot of folks would hate it. I love ’em, they keep me warm on days when a standard winter glove will barely keep me functional (I have pretty poor circulation). Being able to just stick your hands in snow-melt streams to wash off mud etc is cool too!

spaniardclimber
    Free Member

Sealskinz 3 finger gloves, have been using them for over a year and they’re great if you don’t mind the ‘star trek’ finger positioning.

rOcKeTdOg

strike 2’s

Northwind

Oh yeah, NOT Endura Nemos- Endura didn’t really seem to understand why I was unhappy that my new waterproof gloves leaked, they obviously thought that’s normal…

keefmac

Fox Forge – thick, very warm and waterproof. do tend to feel odd though due to thickness, you get used to it.

lee170
    Free Member

Yeah I thought it would be a tough call to get warm and waterproof without bulk.
    Thanks for all the suggestions

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Not waterproof, in full anyway, but warm, even when wet.

Not bulky at all, really. Some of the warmth of a mitt, some of the dexterity of a glove. Overall, warm and toasty in all but the very worst.

kilo

Screw fix gloves +1

StirlingCrispin

North Face Pamir Windstopper gloves are awesome.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/North-Face-Pamir-Windstopper-Glove/dp/B00GWNH8C2?th=1&psc=1

Have a fine microfleece fabric coupled to a windstopper membrane. The membrane itself is waterproof – it’s just the stitching isn’t sealed.

My old ones died after many years of abuse. The new gloves kept my hands warm at the weekend on a bothy trip in the Cairngorms in wind, rain and snow. Same again last night in sleety snow at 1C.

Recommended!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

These are good for the road side of things; a decent fit and not too bulky so there’s no issue using Ergo controls with them. They seem to be wearing well too.

https://www.endurasport.com/products/?ProductID=180&initcode=E0095

pjm7
    Free Member

Sealskinz 3 finger gloves, have been using them for over a year and they’re great if you don’t mind the ‘star trek’ finger positioning.

I have these and I can’t use them in anything over 2degrees or my hands are too hot!

hughjayteens
    Free Member

FuzzyWuzzy – Member
    My preferred gloves are a gore one they’ve stopped making but they’re convertible from normal to lobster style (flap tucks into back of glove) ideal for switching between road and MTB use. No clue why they stopped making them but I know some other brands have a similar design.

My quest for the perfect winter glove continues and today I saw these Gore convertible ones in Cycle Surgery.

Half price too so I think I’ll give them a whirl.

https://www.cyclesurgery.com/p/gore-bikewear-fusion-so-gloves-N2314117.3651.html

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Warm waterproof gloves, what's good?’ is closed to new replies.