Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Warm socks that aren't wool?
  • cloudnine
    Free Member

I’m slowly winterising myself… I’m in need of warm socks.
    Can just about tolerate really fine soft merino but is there anything else that’s not itchy?

br
    Free Member

Never have a problem with Sealskins

sweepy
    Free Member

Heatholders, toasty, and not a natural fibre in em.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Can just about tolerate really fine soft merino

All the thermal socks I ever seem to encounter are made from either synthetics or merino wool. I think you would struggle to find thermal socks made out of non-merino wool.

By far the best I have come from Costco :

http://www.costco.com/Kirkland-Signature%E2%84%A2-Men%27s-Trail-Sock-4-Pack-BlackBrown.product.100074281.html

No good for tight footwear/cycling shoes though, thin thermal socks are required for that, although I rely mostly on the thermal properties of winter boots and/or overshoes in winter.

Sandwich

Endura make some pretty warm synthetic Thermolite socks ankle socks only though (I think).

maccruiskeen

Sealskins are merino on the inside anyway aren’t they? I had limited success with them, mainly because I’ve got big feet and slim ankles making them quite a loose fit, water just goes in through the top of them then stays there.

I was doing Reed Chillcheaters over any old thin / wicking sock last winter, mainly because I don’t have any winter shoes / overshoes and the chill cheaters are good at shielding the draft that comes through summer shoes. They are longer, tighter, stretchier than sealskins. Wind and water tight but not really breathable. You can keep the rain out but have to accept you’ll keep a lot of the sweat in so you need a good thin sock inside that doesn’t react too badly to damp. I found good old fashioned rayon / viscose socks (labelled as new fashioned Bamboo Technology) worked quite well under them. Cheap football socks did too and are similar in length to the chill cheaters.

cynic-al
    Free Member

No sock eill keep you as warm as overshoes.

jonba
    Free Member

Thin hiking socks work for me.

Failing that anything thick that isn’t cotton.

The chill cheaters will work. Do they not also do fleece liner socks, they used to?

Also try neoprene socks if you know that it is going to be cold and wet. Your feet will get wet, but they’ll be warm. I like Nookie Ti socks and swear by them on the mtb in winter.

vickypea
    Free Member

I find woolly jumpers very itchy and prickly but merino wool base layers and socks don’t itch me at all. I find woolie boolie cycling socks very good, and you can get them in varying thickness.

househusband

Your normal sock with a silk liner sock – eBay?

What I use glove-wise over winter.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Warm socks that aren't wool?’ is closed to new replies.