Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Wanting to upgrade my road groupset – options?
  • dannybgoode

I’m lusting after a groupset upgrade and would dearly love Ultegra di2 but my current wheels have a 10sp hub.

Trouble is they’re Royce hubs and I’m loathe to get rid of them as they are really very lovely.

Do I have any options here or do the wheels have to go if I want to go 11sp?

orangeboy
    Free Member

Royce may do a 11 speed hub body or you may be able to modify your current one but removing some metal behind the cassette.

Or fit 10 cogs from a 11 speed cassette but long term the mech might not like getting pushed onto the limit screw each time you try to shift to the extra cog that’s not there

dannybgoode

Thanks for the thoughts- I’ve emailed Royce.

Shame with the fact that it’s an electronic groupset it can’t just be programmed to be 10 or 11sp…

TiRed

Run 10 sprockets and a spacer and set the limit screw properly. I believe you can upgrade 10 speed di2 Ultegra shifters to 11. Maybe you can downgrade them too, although the spacing will be different unless you source a 10 speed 67xx rear derailleur.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Why not just use an 11s cassette but drop a sprocket?

lustyd
    Free Member

Haha it CAN be reprogrammed for 10 speed. It WONT be because there’s no money down that road. Also secretly I think we all like being “forced” to upgrade parts. After all it’s not like you need 11sp DI2 either 🙂

orangeboy
    Free Member

You could use a campag free hub body and campy 11 speed cassette , unlike the older stuff 11 speed should all work between brands

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Shame with the fact that it’s an electronic groupset it can’t just be programmed to be 10 or 11sp…

It can with the e-tube software. Quite common to make 10sp work on 11, so no reason it can’t work the other way.

jameso

Shimano have non-series 105/Ultegra level 11s road cassettes due soon to fit 10s hubs. A rare moment of backward-compatibility from them that I’m grateful for!

scaredypants

Shimano have non-series 105/Ultegra level 11s road cassettes due soon to fit 10s hubs. A rare moment of backward-compatibility from them that I’m grateful for!

ooh, interesting
    I have a(nother) 10sp hub waiting for me to get the dremel onto it

cookeaa

Interesting, might I be because people have started doing this sort of thing maybe?:

[video]https://youtu.be/cazQt5oleo4[/video]

If they really are going to start doing an off the peg recessed cassette then I will stick it out on 10 speed a bit longer…

schmiken

The new Ultegra 8000 cassette will fit on a 10 speed freehub. I have also stuck an 11 speed cassette on a milling machine at work and removed 1.5 mm to fit an 11 speed cassette on a Hope hub.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

It’s the 11-34 cassette (11speed) that’ll fit a 10sp hub as it’s basically a 11 speed mtb cassette which are designed to do so. Not sure that more ‘roadie’ cassettes with be so compatible, make no sense for Shimano to do this after trying for years to get us all on the upgrade path.

dannybgoode

Thanks all for your help. In a rare moment of strong will I’ve put off the temptation for now and instead upgraded just a few little bits – currently riding Sram Rival which I’ve had pretty much from release so upgraded the front & rear mech, chainset and BB to Force.

Been out on a smashing ride today and there’s really nothing wrong with what I have and I figured the £700 or so I’ve saved will be better spent on some new riding clothes etc.

Good to here there’s a 10sp compatible cassette on the way though as I will succumb at some point…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Wanting to upgrade my road groupset – options?’ is closed to new replies.