Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • WANTING a new bike V. NEEDING a new bike dilemma
  • rascal
    Free Member

Long story short…I’ve got a few other threads recently about road bikes.

I’ve had a road bike for a while that I must admit isn’t the most comfortable in the world after a long ride, so had an idea about getting a carbon one…new would be nice but wouldn’t exclude a good used one.

Tried a few over last 2 days (new). One was lovely (Giant Defy Composite) but more than I would ideally like to spend – but it made me smile and fitted a treat. 2 x Planet X bikes good but didn’t ‘want’ them having ridden them.

Came back and out shorter stem with more spacers underneath and dropped seatpost half an inch and it feels better (in the street anyway!). In order to make me love my current bike again I’d want to respray it, change to a compact chainset and put a 28-11 cassette on as opposed to 23-11 (hills kill me currently).

At the end of the day it’s an ageing (but still very nice) alu bike that can be made nicer but I have it in my head that I NEED to Giant (of course I DON’T).

Does anyone else have this scenario happen to them and what do you do?

tiffa7777
    Free Member

I have a Scott CR1 Pro for sale, £2,700 new, looking for £700ish with full Ultegra!

Chris: 07815323648

asterix
    Free Member

I think the trouble is that once you test ride something that really is way better than what you have, its hard not to be swayed. How old is your current alu bike?

brassneck

I have the same with my road bike. Really don’t need anything better than my alu Giant, it’s done metric centuries and I could still walk the next day etc.

Still quite fancy a nice shiny carbon thing though. Have kept my sights to the lower end (I’d almost always rather be mountain biking) but managed to resist the temptation so far.

Easiest way is to not look 🙂

atlaz
    Free Member

Does anyone else have this scenario happen to them and what do you do?

If you want it and can afford it, I don’t see the problem buying it (affording it meaning different things to different people)

rascal
    Free Member

Well this one took a little while to get going 😉

Tiffa – I will call/text – where are you in the country?
    Asterix – it’s probably 9 years old now – I’ve had it for 6.
    Atlaz – it’s doable and still pondering options at mo – not ruling out a nice looked after used on yet though I can hear a Defy gently calling me.

asterix
    Free Member

I reckon 9 is a good age for a bike

I’m just upgrading from 12 year old alu framed road bike to a new carbon one. Sure I could keep upgrading parts, but the benefits are not going to add up to anythingf like the benefits of a move to a new carbon bike now. But it has taken me a few years to be convinced that the difference was big enough to be worth it and then get around to choosing and actually buying

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘WANTING a new bike V. NEEDING a new bike dilemma’ is closed to new replies.