Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Wanted your old cycling shoes any size and condition preferably cheap or F.o.c
  • adrianleake79
    Free Member

Hi Guys,

My name is Adrian,

I am a third year uni undergrad student conducting a study on the affects of cycling shoes with cleats/spd on mountain bikers performance and physiology for my dissertation. I have some guniea pigs for the research but unfortunately they dont come with the same shoe size, so I am trying to aquire all different size of shoes preferably sizes 4,5,8,9,10,&11. I am not fussed about the condition, the smell or even if they have laces provided with them.

I am after cheap preferably F.O.C shoes for my research. I live in Birmingham and would be able to pick up the shoes or will be able for postage if further a field. Will also recycle the shoes after research has been conducted.

email me at adrianleake79(at)googlemail(dot)com

Cheers

Adrian

ton

mate, are you taking the pi55 or what?

1st it was magazine, now shoes, what next………carbon blur??? 😆

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

shame – just chucked some out. would have sent them otherwise

good luck

Junkyard
    Free Member

i have some size 9s [44]you can have , who covers postage? – they are pretty goosed and dont have any cleats do you want pics first?

adrianleake79
    Free Member

To Junkyard,

I will pay for the postage and packaging if you find out how much it is I will happily out money in account

cheers

ade

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

‘coughs’ effects ‘coughs’

druidh
    Free Member

There’s a wanted forum for this sort of stuff.

Oh – hang on a minute. I see you’ve posted there too.

What about the chat forum for all the lapsed cyclists.

Oh – I see you have that base also covered…. 🙄

crikey
    Free Member

What are you actually researching?

You really need a standard shoe, with a standard cleat, in a standard position, using a standard pedal system or the amount of experimental ‘noise’ will make your results as woolly as a sheeps bum.

adrianleake79
    Free Member

I am researching difference in blood lactate thresholds, Electromygraphic patterns and VO2 max with and without cycling shoes in field and lab enviroments

GW
    Free Member

…and I get my posts deleted by the mods 🙄

Junkyard
    Free Member

i will send some pics tonight as they are pretty fubbared but usable and you can decide if you want them

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Why not go to a trail centre and test people there? They generally have all the gear.

crikey
    Free Member

I am researching difference in blood lactate thresholds, Electromygraphic patterns and VO2 max with and without cycling shoes in field and lab enviroments

Then stop taking the piss, and standardise everything that you can; using old cast off cycling shoes with no attempt to reduce the amount of variation will make your ‘results’ essentially worthless.

If I can see that from here, anyone who is looking at your ‘research’ in a critical fashion will take it to pieces…

vdubber67
    Free Member

Without fully understanding your research, surely lactate threshold and VO2 max are what they are, irrespective of whether you are wearing any sort of shoes? Unless you are studying the traditional measurement of those factors? That’s me being interested btw, not taking the piss!

Electromyographic patterns might change I guess from what little I understand of them. Make sure you include the ‘o’ you missed out when you write up your research. That was me taking the piss btw 😉

Good luck with your shoe search!

rootes1

have you spoken to the Uni cycling club? sure you will have some willing guinea pigs

ssjeff
    Free Member

@crikey
    looking at it from here I’m taking your last post to pieces

1 op isn’t testing subjects with the same shoes for a reason.
    2 op is testing as many subjects as possible using the same testing process.
    3 op will hopefully find that it doesn’t matter how fit/unfit you may be or your what your shoe size is.
    4 It might tell you that riding flat or spd does or doesn’t make any difference.

Easy

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

A few questions for you.

How are you going to remove bias from the measurements? It’s pretty difficult to blind someone as to what shoes they’re wearing and how their feet are attached to the pedals.

Have you done a power calculation to find out if 15 participants is enough to remove chance from your results?

How do you intend to measure VO2 max? – pretty dangerous tests.
    Are you any good at measuring EMG activity and which muscles are you intending to measure?
    Are those muscles the best ones to measure?
    How are you going to control pedalling style?

I could go on, but I think you get the picture – too many variables.

Alpha1653

Jeez guys, the OP’s just asking if you’ve got any cast-offs that he could put to some use, not for a critique of his approach to research. Whether it’s good use or not, who cares?!

adrianleake79
    Free Member

Hi guys,

To everyone a big thankyou for putting a positive contribution of discussion to the topic. Like Alpha 1653 says “just asking if you’ve got any cast-offs hat he could put to some use, not for a critique of his approach to research. Whether it’s good use or not, who cares?!”

My opinion and some of my lecturers opinions are that undergrad dissertations are mainly to do with how I set about doing the research, methodology and what conclusions I may put together at the end. The research is not purely finding out a brand new revolutionary idea or product.

The reason I am after cycling shoes spd/cleats is to attach the feet to the pedals (obvious answer). I am measuring the difference between being attached the pedals and not being attached the pedals (not the affect of different shoes). People are saying there will be too many variables in the experiments, I am going to decrease this by making sure there is the same amount of bend in the knee, hip and ankle joints for everyone (found a journal article on that). Tests will be made on the same route, mountain bike and lab bike. Many other guidelines will be put in place to decrease the variables.

I can go in to detail about the whole dissertation and the research but I have better things to do in my time at the end of the day all I am asking if any generous soul would donate their unwanted shoes for my research.

Once again thankyou to everyone that is putting a positive contribution to the discussion

Kind Regards

Ade

mossimus
    Free Member

I have a couple of old pairs in my office. If you email me after Jan 3rd, will be happy to send them to you simon at excel dotcodotuk

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

Heres a positive contribution: You can buy toe straps for a couple of quid at many bikeshops.

franksinatra

The level of wankiness of some people on this forum never fails to amaze me. The guy is studying, posts(what appears to be) a genuine request for tatty old shoes and is then subjected to a load of internet ‘experts’ pulling his research apart.

Give the guy a break.

Sorry, don’t have any old shoes but good luck!

Mantastic
    Free Member

Adrian, I live in the midlands and have a pair of shoes. They are too good to donate so I can donate myself with my shoes if you need anymore willing subjects.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

I guess some of you don’t remember the ‘poor student’ begging for parts only to then sell the gifts he received on Ebay.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I think Mantastic has it!

Scrounging student… why don’t you offer the good folk of STW free VO2 max testing?

adrianleake79
    Free Member

Hey guys,

Seriously I am not going to sell them on ebay.

To all the members who are interested in some testing drop me an email at adrianleake79(at)google(dot)com. The venues for experiment wil be worcester uni (main campus) and sutton park (Birmingham)testing should commence late Feb early March. Confirmation on dates will be subjected to when the lab is available and completion of ethics forms.

Kind regards

Ade

adrianleake79
    Free Member

I think I can rightfully say I am scrounging does anyone expect me to buy different size shoes for use for a maximum of two days?

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Steve-austin’s suggestion of clips and straps is the best option.

Mantastic
    Free Member

Adrian, I am 25 mins from Worcester, my email is in my profile if you need some shoes with me attached to them.

stoney
    Free Member

Ive a pair of Specs SPD`s you can have….They are a 42 (8) have no cleats or M buckle cos the stiching where they attach has come adrift…Perhaps a toe/velcro strap arround the shoe would do the job????. Anyway, your welcome to them and i can send a pic over if you want. 😛

GW
    Free Member

Just checked my Email, Seems I now even get warnings for not reporting threads 😕

“GW, if you have an issue with posts on a forum can you please report them. Complaining on the forum about them and mods doesn’t raise the issue with us. Another forum member reported these posts so we could deal with them. Thanks.”

So Who reported the thread? My money’s on you, Druidh 🙄

Mods. I was having a laugh rather than complaining, still am! you guys never fail to amuse. 😆

Happy New Year!!

adrianleake79
    Free Member

My appologies for putting this subject on a number of multiple threads on the website it wont happen again.

Holyzeus
    Free Member

So you’ve been warned?
    Bit harsh

adrianleake79
    Free Member

Yep got warned but tbh it was my own bad judgement

adrianleake79
    Free Member

Hey guys on the other hand I am now recruiting test subjects to be hooked up in my testing can you send me an email with name experience etc and if your available to come to location at worcester university. email me at adrianleake79(at)googlemail(dot)com the more the merrier

llanarthpalomino
    Free Member

Hi op, i live in malvern and would be happy to help with your research as im sure mr LP would and would happily lend out my shoes whilst there (5’s i think) feel free to contact me closer to the time (text is best as i rarely check emails).

GW
    Free Member

I have spd shoes that are of no use to me but I’m too scared to post incase i’m banned!

adrianleake79
    Free Member

To GW-banned?

stoney
    Free Member

Ive just posted my old shoes to Ade......ive also sent you a txt to confirm….
    😛

adrianleake79
    Free Member

Just saying a warm thank you to Stoney,Andy P, colin h and Gareth U for providing size 8 and size 9 shoes. I am still after size 10s and size 5s

I would also like to say thank you to the members interesting in being guinea pigs too

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Wanted your old cycling shoes any size and condition preferably cheap or F.o.c’ is closed to new replies.