Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Wanted. Winter boots for flats.. a la 5 10 impact hi.
  • tymbian
    Free Member

Are all winter boots for clip less pedals or can I get some that are capable of riding flat pedals in?

colournoise

I’ve got an older version of these. Designed for SPD, but they’ve worked fine on flats for me.

ton

i got some of those a week or so ago. i reckon they would be perfect with flats, i am back a spd’s tho. very comfy too, i leave mine on all day at work. the support works with my foot.

Northwind

Have an unrecommendation- I thought the new high-top Freerider EPS was going to do this job but they’ve screwed it up completely by not making it even as waterproof as the old Element. Good in the cold, poor in the wet 🙁

sharkattack

Anyone tried these yet?

LINK

Northwind

Yeah, pretty interesting but it seems kind of overthought. Main thing for me is that there’s no way the outer can be as good as a winter and summer shoe, as it could have been at one job… So it’s probably a £185 compromise. I have great summer shoes, I could be convinced to pay a good chunk for great winter shoes.

Other concern is the D30, for me the quickest way to ruin a flat shoe is to reduce feel, I found the new Impacts horrendous frinstance, like foot anaesthetic. Though not everyone agrees. Anyway, I’d be very worried about the effect that could have. Of course, it might not but I don’t think they do a trial so it’s just a huge gamble.

longmover
    Free Member

I have a pair of OWN FR-01 they are an excellent shoe, and dry really quickly. The outer is tough and the D30 doesn’t reallly reduce feel and they are not overly bulky like a 5-10

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Singletrack liked the Vaude Moab. Not full on winter boot, but might do the job

whitestone
    Free Member

Define winter! Is this for typical UK winter, i.e. not very cold but likely quite damp, or continental type winters – proper cold (-5C and below) and dry?

You aren’t going to get summer like “feel” of the pedals in a winter boot as you need the insulation between you and the pedal. For UK type conditions I’d forget about MTB shoes/boots and get some walking boots. For dry & cold then the models that handle Stateside winters will be more suitable but check the formula of the rubber used in the sole as most of the boots are aimed at SPD users and the rubber is too hard.

Even the SPD boots do usually have a “blanking plate” that covers the cleat mounting point.

tymbian
    Free Member

Yes, UK winters, so warm, slush- and waterproof

richwak
    Free Member

Pop a pair of knee high sealskinz socks in any shoe and it turns a summer shoe into a winter one.

lucky7500

I’m hoping for a pair of the Vaude Moabs for Christmas so will hopefully be able to give an opinion in approximately a week!!

hot_fiat

Pair of £100 soft hiking boots with a £35 stealth rubber resole from feet first?

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

And so the quest continues.

Pretty surprised after all these years there just don’t seem to be any that cut the mustard.

I’m ready for a decent pair but what’s on offer at the moment just seem a bit shit, MTB scene taxed and look like minimum cost mandatory safety shoes.

Waterproof hiking boots with gusseted tongues have been around for years and can be had for peanuts in a multitude of styles. All we really need is a re-purposed waterproof hiking boot with a lower back/flexible ankle cuff and sole purposed for flat pedals!

pipiom
    Free Member
    IvanDobski
    Free Member

5.10 Guide Tennie Mid GTX is my winter riding shoe of choice. Slightly harder rubber than normal 5.10s but still plenty of grip on the pedals.

epicyclo

richwak – Member
    Pop a pair of knee high sealskinz socks in any shoe and it turns a summer shoe into a winter one.

Just go up a size so you can add another sock inside the SealSkinz and you’re prepared for just about any UK version of cold.

pipiom
    Free Member

Just got my 5:10 Tennie mids and took them for a three hour spin in some pretty awful conditions: driving fine rain, cold wind etc; toasty,warm and dry feet, is a phrase I’ve never had the luxury to be able to use, until now.

Superb grip (even though the soles do feel harder) and definitely recommended. Hopefully they’ll last, but so far, it’s a big yes from me.

jeff1155

Why not the 5 10 Impact Hi? Mine work great in mud or wet under tyre, they might not stay dry for long in rain but what shoe with the top exposed would?

jam-bo

Did you get the GTX version of the guide? Used to have a pair of the guide lows that I really liked

submarined
    Free Member

Watching eagerly. I’ve found nothing to fit the brief. Made even harder for me as I have wide feet, so none of the Freerider range fit, and I have appalling circulation, so need warmth.
    In summary, warm, waterproof, toe protection, grippy sole, wide feet: not gonna happen.

whitestone
    Free Member

@submarined – why not find a walking boot that fits/suits you and get the sole replaced with a flat pedal specific one? Most (if not all) modern walking boots have their soles glued on so it’s a simple matter to remove and replace.

drovercycles
    Free Member

colournoise, do you have a linky for those?

I hope you don’t mind me jumping in. We’ve just added winter footwear to our new site and we’re doing a fairly decent offer on those boots – I believe this is the best UK price:
    https://www.drover.cc/winter/footwear/mtb-shoes

submarined
    Free Member

@Whitestone – it’s a valid point, but after years of riding on trainers, I’d quite like something ‘proper’ and purpose made, and something with an appropriate warranty as well. Creating a custom solution appears to be a little bit trial and error and guesswork.

whitestone
    Free Member

Just noticed your comment about “purpose made” (and understand it). Came across this post about a 5-10 resole kit so might as well bring it to your attention anyway.

epicyclo

submarined – Member

@Whitestone
    – it’s a valid point, but after years of riding on trainers, I’d quite like something ‘proper’ and purpose made, and something with an appropriate warranty as well….

I find that using old style track or touring pedals allows me to use ordinary walking boots. The boots lugs engage with the parallel arms of the pedal. No slippage ever.

A bonus is that there’s very little metal there, so when it’s sub zero you don’t have a cold sink next to your foot. They also clear snow and mud quickly – far better than flats IMO. All my bikes have them.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Wanted. Winter boots for flats.. a la 5 10 impact hi.’ is closed to new replies.