Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Wanted – simple core and overall body workout
  • thewanderer
    Free Member

I can ride a bike pretty well but my core is weak… oh and my upper body (I’m all legs!)

Wanted
    – simple work out that complements my cycling
    – Builds core muscles
    – is home based (ain’t got time to go to the gym)
    – is easy to do (I really like the idea of a video/DVD so that I don’t have to think too much)
    – is varied – so I don’t get bored/just work out the same things
    – ~30 mins

I’m thinking that a Kettle ball/pilates mix might do the trick. Would be interested if anyone has any recommendations.

Thanks

CheesybeanZ

if you live near any hills get a single speed with a daft gear ration ,stood up pulling on the bars then throwing the bike in the hedge should give you a full body workout . N+1 workout 😀

kimbers

ryan leech yoga for mtb video?

yogas great for core stuff

patriotpro
    Free Member

youtube is your friend

Search ‘kettlebell complex’ and select one with 3 sets in, they will destroy you if you do them with out a break!

One of the top of my head is one armed swing, turkish get-up, goblet squat – Try 12 of each, one exercise after the other x3 without a breather.

sandwicheater

Do what my friend did and spend £140 on the Insanity DVD box set.

Couldn’t believe it when he told me, 😐

damion
    Free Member

This: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ES5GN9k7BZw
    [edit: I used 15mm plastic pipe with a pair of lock n grips I had lying around, works a treat for the handles]

With one of these (which ever one doesn’t want to make you punch the screen in annoyance) : https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=trx+workout

🙂

spawnofyorkshire

sean vigue fitness on youtube

the guy has done loads of workouts to try

pilates for men is a great starter for a core workout, then he’s got a load for strength building as well

dknwhy

P90x core stability workout is good. Add on ab ripper for some added fun. You should be able to download it from somewhere….

hora
    Free Member

This is my alltime favourite Yoga workout routine:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loszrEZvS_k[/video]

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Well I pretty much destroyed my core and lower back over a year ago and have spent a lot of time rebuilding my strength there. I have found that it definitely takes time.

If you have a weak core what I really suggest you do not do is Body Pump.

I do a mixture of kettle bell exercises and resistive core exercises.

Things like turkish get up, plank, Kettle bell swing, high pank with lateral pull, renegade rows, KB Shoulder press, half kneeling halos KB.

[EDIT]

I’m very jealous of that girls strength, flexibility and control.

annebr
    Free Member

+1 singlespeed

Clobber
    Free Member

what frosty said and kettlebells +1

booktownman
    Free Member

I’m not sure it requires photos or dodgy line drawings of Mark Wahlberg, but I’ve found this little workout painfully effective when I can be arsed to do it. Very simple, only takes a few mins, no special shit needed. (Substitute the medicine ball for another suitable, heavyish object)

http://www.menshealth.co.uk/building-muscle/get-big/build-a-strong-core

Failing that – go swimming.

BTM

patriotpro
    Free Member

Do what my friend did and spend £140 on the Insanity DVD box set.

It’s not called insanity for nothing!

patriotpro
    Free Member

+1 renegade rows

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Take up climbing 🙂

professorfaceplant
    Free Member

i do 4 sets of 14 press ups evey morning which has massivly helped my core and also i use resistance bands
    from Amazon, whcih are absolutly brilliant and portable and you can do them in front of the tv in the evening

Trekster

Kettle bell class for me this year;
    http://www.dgwgo.com/regional-news/local-young-downhill-mountain-biker-helped-fund-world-cup-bid-australia/#jp-carousel-13156

Some of that group do yoga, run, DH biking, road biking and hill running!!

Tried yoga last year but some of the exercises aggravated my auld back injuries.

Struggle to swim due to chemicals used to dose water due to asthma 🙄

Local guy who came 3rd in the Red Bull Hill Chaser event in Edin at the weekend does yoga, road bike, mountain bike and uses the Sufferfest videos for winter training.

P.S. Frazer, the young guy we are raising money for in that^^^^^class came 9th in his first UCI event in Africa at the weekend 😆

scandal42
    Free Member

I have just started riding single speed and I think I agree, seem to use my upper body a lot more than when riding my normal bike.

I take it that riding ss is a well known way of improving that part of the body?

spawnofyorkshire
    DrP

One uber American phrase for you:
    “Sean Vigue Fitness dot coooooomm”

Search him on You tube – good guy, funny too, tough workouts!

DrP

TP
    Free Member

What would be a good set of kettlebells to start with? Can you get away with just three of different weights or do you need pairs?

Clobber
    Free Member

I just bought one 24kg, was a bit tough at the beginning but fine now, I would like a second 24kg to make a pair now though.

I would start with just one to see how you get on.

xterramac
    Free Member

“Wanted
    – simple work out that complements my cycling
    – Builds core muscles
    – is home based (ain’t got time to go to the gym)
    – is easy to do (I really like the idea of a video/DVD so that I don’t have to think too much)
    – is varied – so I don’t get bored/just work out the same things
    – ~30 mins”

After buying one 2months ago and using it at least 3 times a week since,I can honestly recommend the TRX system, I’m a lot stronger already from it and have progressed my core stability even beyond my K1 paddling days….. There’s heaps of programmes to be found online to follow, its a very packable bit of kit and you can use it off any strong anchor point, like a tree or rafter even a door frame. Its not cheap but copy products are available I’m sure…. Cheers macs

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Go for a run?

monkeychild
    Free Member

This may be more fun!!

fr0sty125
    Free Member

FunkyDunc – Member
    Go for a run?

Well known for building core and upper body strength…

IHN

Well known for building core and upper body strength…

I dunno about upper body, but it’s definately good for core.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Buy a barbell / dumbells and some weights.

Shoulder Press

Deadlift

Squats

Then plank

According to goal there are plenty of info on sets and reps for the above on the net.

zilog6128

Simplest way would probably be doing press-ups/planks/pullups every morning.

Just get a cheap door-frame pull-up bar from Amazon, etc. Of course once you’ve got that you can also do things like leg raises and L-sits as well which will really beast your core!

mssansserif
    Free Member

You are your own gym app on a smart phone is a good shout. All body weight exercises but you can focus on core/upper body if you want.

Variations of pull ups/pressups/sit ups etc.

pk13

Try hasfit on YouTube bit ott as it’s from the USA but lots of various workouts

teasel
    Free Member

I had a go at the back arch recently. Building up to it through the lesser exercises definitely developed a little core strength. A week off and returned to do the proper arch. Works for me…

tmb467
    Free Member

Look on mtb strength training . Com

There’s a free kettlebell course on there – basic swings, squats, presses and tgu. One legged stuff helps build anti-rotational strength as well

It’s quite good. I use a 10 for Turkish get ups and a 20 for everything else.

yippeekiyay
    Free Member

The Batman Workout…

or the Thor workout, Wolverine, 300, Gladiator and more. Take your pick @ neilarey.com

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Wanted – simple core and overall body workout’ is closed to new replies.