Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Want to tart up my road bike, what colour?
  • lee170
    Free Member

I have a giant defy road bike that is black/blue and white. I want to tart it up a little, different colour bolts etc etc
    Nothing Gordy just a little touch here and there

I was thinking maybe orange or green?
    What do people think?

velocipede
    Free Member

can only be blue to match the frame highlights, surely?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

What he said, never more than 3 colours.

lee170
    Free Member

Ok I can live with that. I’ll start pimping blue then.
    Thanks for the advice

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

😯 Start here – http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/ #26, #34, #41, #44, #45, #60

Ditch that ugly thing behind your cassette and sort that bidon out… 😛

davosaurusrex

Blue bar tape to match the frame highlights is all it needs

lee170
    Free Member

What’s a bidon?
    I’ve been meaning to remove the plastic thing behind the cassette

lunge

A few ideas, some cheaper and more tongue in cheek than others. All with a superficial slant, some may have a small performance upgrade as well…

Ditch the current bottle cage and bottle. Replace with an Elite Custom cage and matching Corsa bottle.

Change the tyres for skinwalls. Something like a Veloflex Master will do the job.

Remove the plastic dish from behind the cassette.

White bar tape AND white saddle would look good on that as well. But it has to be both, a white saddle and black tape (or vice-versa) will not work.

Road pedals look better on a road bike.

I’m debating telling you to slam the stem as well. It will certainty look better though it may mean your bike become uncomfortable. Maybe slam it and take yoga lessons as well?

That’ll do for a start I think.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

And get the rear light pointing straight back, and move it up the post, either that or fit ti to the frame bleow the seatclamp. Makes it look like the frames too big/not enough seatpost showing, maybe a more subtle seatpost clamp too. My faux-carbon one was £2.99 off ebay and is a bit more subtle than the OEM hunks of aluminium.

I think blue bar tape and a white saddle might work, depends if you like the current saddle or not. White bar tape looks good when you first apply it, but looks mucky soon after, it’s a PITA to keep clean.

Saccades
    Free Member

Light and QR leaver horizontal.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I think it deffo needs some Hope Team Green bits.

Also, a name sticker for the top tube usually looks good (with a union jack next to it). You can get them off ebay for not much cash; it means your bike will be easier to spot in the bike shed at work aswell.

Also, removed the decals from the rims and get some Enve stickers made up.

Definitely slam your stem and trim the steerer. Trim the cables aswell.

QR skewers should be fitted with the levers on the non drive side.

hora
    Free Member

Is that a downhill roadbike? 😯

lunge

Actually, as davidtaylforth mentioned, http://www.namesonframes.co.uk are really rather good.

TiRed

We have the same bike. What you need is Fizik micro bar tape in Sid Blue. It is an excellent match. I upgraded teen2’s with a set of Kysirium Elites and a Ritchey WCS fork, but that might be overkill.

You can also add tyres with blue hints from Schwalbe if desired.

gogg
    Free Member

Orange & Green??

iainc

second a blue and black Elite bottle cage and blue bar tape. is that saddle the one with blue detail on it also ? if so good match already

Bregante

hora – Member
    Is that a downhill roadbike?

Wise words from master bike fitter 🙂

theflatboy
    Free Member

hora – Member

Is that a downhill roadbike?

Could you just post that picture of your road bike again to remind the group of its “unique” configuration?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Actually, as davidtaylforth mentioned

I think he was taking the piss, the only time your bike needs a name tag is when you hit the big time and your mechanic needs to pick yours out and the works bike shed is a Service Course. Anything else makes you look like a 206 with a badly fitted bodykit and dustbin exhaust.

Very cheap but pro upgrade:

KCNC do coated inners which are even more pimp.

hilldodger
    Free Member

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/token-tk3292-valve-caps/rp-prod57971

and maybe valve caps to match the cable crimps 🙂

richardthird

Front QR round the other side and inline with fork. Actually, replace with some blue Ti pimp ones from PX or some other shower.

Sort rear light.

Consider dropping the bar height, looks very un pimp being in line with saddle.

Not really pimp but some Giant full mudguards.

Some natty blue tyres perhaps.

Remove rim decals.

lunge

I think he was taking the piss

This thread is about “tarting up” a bike with little or no focus on performance upgrade. I would have thought a name tag would be perfect for this cause.

slowpuncheur
    Free Member
    lee170
    Free Member

Some good ideas in that lot,
    Already sourced some nice road pedals, light has been removed since and I’ve ordered a snazzy knog blinder.
    I’ll swap the QR to the other side to

hora
    Free Member

Hey everyones got to start somewhere 8) OPs bike looks ‘slack’ 😀

oldgit
    Free Member

https://www.flickr.com/photos/49528576@N00/14081162679/in/photostream/lightbox/

Hard to tart up, probably best to just keep it clean and tidy. I think coloured bits and bobs look gash.
    I’d straighten the light, correctly position the Q/R and a nice faux carbon cage doesn’t cost much and drop a nice bottle into it.
    Your stem looks high, but if that’s right then so be it
    Mines a cheap and old Defy 2 alloy as well

LardLover
    Free Member

Splash out on a pair of Chinese carbon clinchers (and some Swissstop Yellow brake pads). Sorted.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Want to tart up my road bike, what colour?’ is closed to new replies.