• This topic has 8 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by bigh.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Wallpapering onto painted wall – what preparation?
  • thegreatape
    Free Member

Done wallpapering before so quite happy with that, and at a minimum I expect to clean walls with sugar soap then size before cross lining then hanging the paper.

Question is, am I ok to paper over the top of paint, or does trouble this way lie?

TheFlyingOx

From my limited experience, it will stay up eventually but be prepared to hold each piece in place until it’s dried. Paint + wallpaper paste results in a very slippery surface.

Best bet would be to rough up the paint with some 40 grit sandpaper, then do horizontal lining paper, then wallpaper.

It’s what I’ve done in my flat in the past, but I’m way short of the mark when it comes to proper decorating experience. There’s probably a much easier way to do it.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Hadn’t thought of that. It’s a small room so that won’t add a lot of time.

bigh
    Free Member

What sort of paint? If it’s gloss or oil eggshell then sand to provide a key, use a ready mixed paste. If it’s water based then normal paste is fine.

bigh
    Free Member

Oh and Beeline primer sealer beats size everytime

iolo
    Free Member

Paint the wall with the same pattern as the wallpaper.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Paint the wall with the same pattern as the wallpaper.

You’ve not seen my painting!

bigh – I think it’s semi gloss. Might have to see what happens when I wash it down. Will look out the Beeline primer, thanks.

brassneck

Sugar soap to degrease it, let it dry then paper.

Sandpaper to ket it is a decent idea too if it is THAT glossy. Does anyone put gloss on walls??

bigh
    Free Member

Paint a small area with emulsion. Leave to dry thoroughly. Try scratching off the emulsion with fingernail or stick sellotape over and yank it off. If emulsion stays stuck then the walls were painted with water based.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Wallpapering onto painted wall – what preparation?’ is closed to new replies.