Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Walking/cycling Snowdon
  • jim25

A group of us are trying to get over to Snowdon. All walk up to the top and half of us will ride down while the others prob get the train back.
    Obviously looking to go up/down the rangers path before the end of April.

Could anyone recommend a place to stay in a self catered or possible b&b for 4/6 people.

Thanks

jam-bo

I don’t think you can walk up and get the train down.

Edric64
    Free Member

Snowdon Ranger YHA, Pen y pass YHA?

jim25

jam bo – Member
    I don’t think you can walk up and get the train down.

Really?!

qwerty
    Free Member

It’s Snowdon, you can walk up and it’ll rain down.

jam-bo

Can I get a single ticket up?
    Single tickets up can be purchased in the ticket office at Llanberis or in advance by telephone with a credit/debit card (subject to a £3.50 booking fee).

Can I get a single ticket down?
    Single tickets down are only available on a standby, first come, first served basis at the destination station of the day (Summit or Clogwyn) and walkers should be aware that there is no guarantee of there being trains with available seats on the mountain at any given time. Therefore, if you walk up, you should bear in mind that you may have to walk down as well.

Can I walk up and use a return ticket down?
    Due to unpredictable weather on the mountain we cannot guarantee trains will reach the summit before it leaves Llanberis Station. Return tickets are only valid once they have been clipped by the train guard upon boarding the tra

z1ppy

Definitely a stand by option on the train journey down but they try their best to help.. G/f’s waterproof died 3/4 of the way up, couple of years back, far too cold/wet to walk back down. They managed to get us on, though it was hit and miss affair & a worrying wait. Horrible conditions on the top, sunny down in the valley.. so lots of ppl using the train

slowoldman

Horrible conditions on the top, sunny down in the valley.. so lots of ppl using the train

It’s always worth bearing this in mind and I wouldn’t rely on the train being there to get you down especially if it is grim on top. I’ve been there on a recent Easter weekend when it was heaving on top despite really grim weather (probably because in the valley it was fair-ish) and because the trains weren’t running, the caff wasn’t open either, so no shelter.

Folks walking up need to plan to walk down (even if only plan B) and be suitably equipped.

mtbguiding
    Free Member

Pen y Pass Hostel will work for the walkers but there’s no access for bikes from there really. Rangers or Llanberis paths will be your best options.

For accommodation, there’s a good B&B in Rhyd Ddu – not far from the start of the Ranger Path and next to a decent pub http://www.snowdonaccommodation.co.uk Or Llanberis YHA or Snowdon Ranger YHA? Ben’s Bunkhouse in Llanberis is excellent too.

Have fun up there!

timidwheeler

If you plan to walk up the Ranger’s Path then note that the train goes to Llanberis on the other side of the valley. It is a monster walk back round to the start of the Snowdon Ranger path. It might be better to walk up the Llanberis path then ride down the Ranger and link up with Telegraph valley.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Walking/cycling Snowdon’ is closed to new replies.